YT Jeffsy 29 Thread

Posted: Aug 11, 2023 at 10:08 Quote
RobK1979 wrote:
MatiasO wrote:
RobK1979 wrote:
I don't know because I didn't ride the bike yet, but for me it's a park bike so only for uplifts. I have a bomber CR coil so no lockout! It will bring you up but it's not the best climber i think. You can compare it with the Capra
Have you finally tried the jeffsy with 170mm in the back? How did it ride in parks?

Yes I went this road, thanks to Tmae! I have a 216 x63 bomber CR coil with 170mm travel and it fits perfect. I love it and it is still a playful bike. I also over forked my jeffsy to 170mm. Headtube angle is now 64 degrees. And you always can go back to 150, 160.Cool

For me it’s the perfect park bike, more confidence!

photo

Way to go! Reminds me of my MK1 Jeffsy (140/160) build and even though I'm now ridding a Commencal Meta SX (160/170) I prefer the Jeffsy. Just such a well rounded bike for fun bike park trails.

Posted: Aug 11, 2023 at 11:33 Quote
For me the Jeffsy is one of the most playful bikes I ever ride. It can handle everything and is super fun even on 29 wheels.
That’s why I won’t sell it, i know that is’s a transformed Capra but it’s still super fun and fast!

O+
Posted: Aug 14, 2023 at 0:44 Quote
RobK1979 wrote:
MatiasO wrote:
RobK1979 wrote:
I don't know because I didn't ride the bike yet, but for me it's a park bike so only for uplifts. I have a bomber CR coil so no lockout! It will bring you up but it's not the best climber i think. You can compare it with the Capra
Have you finally tried the jeffsy with 170mm in the back? How did it ride in parks?

Yes I went this road, thanks to Tmae! I have a 216 x63 bomber CR coil with 170mm travel and it fits perfect. I love it and it is still a playful bike. I also over forked my jeffsy to 170mm. Headtube angle is now 64 degrees. And you always can go back to 150, 160.Cool

For me it’s the perfect park bike, more confidence!

photo
\

Wow, that looks amazing! I'll def try 216x63 in the back

Posted: Aug 14, 2023 at 17:11 Quote
I currently own a 2020 YT Jeffry Comp the same thing as the Core 3! I want to upgrade my rear shock to a coil, but I am so lost on what to get? I also do not understand the "Eye To Eye | Stroke if anyone has a coil shock on a 29 YT Jeffsy any help would be appreciated. Oh and I forgot to mention what type of Coil do i get I am 6'5 and weigh 208lbs.

Thank you,
AlNewt

Posted: Aug 14, 2023 at 17:54 Quote
Anyone here bought the Jeffsy 24 for their kid? I am not really considering it for my son but he is curious how it does on XCC/XCO/Enduro/DH races as he's never raced anyone on one.

Posted: Aug 14, 2023 at 18:47 Quote
mtbxperience wrote:
I currently own a 2020 YT Jeffry Comp the same thing as the Core 3! I want to upgrade my rear shock to a coil, but I am so lost on what to get? I also do not understand the "Eye To Eye | Stroke if anyone has a coil shock on a 29 YT Jeffsy any help would be appreciated. Oh and I forgot to mention what type of Coil do i get I am 6'5 and weigh 208lbs.

Thank you,
AlNewt

Pretty sure it's 210 (eye to eye)x55(stroke length) on the 29er. I went coil a few years ago. Got a cane Creek DB coil cs. For spring there are calculators that get you the right spring rate. Depends on your weight and how stiff you want. I'd guess you're around 500lb, but haven't looked in a while. I'm using a 2.25x450 cane Creek vault spring and I weigh around 180 kitted to ride, for comparison. I like the valt springs bc they're a bit lighter, but any spring will work. Also, try to get a spring that minimizes the preload you need so you get a better feel off the top.

Posted: Aug 16, 2023 at 3:15 Quote
What is the purpose of this thing here?
photo

Posted: Aug 16, 2023 at 7:55 Quote
simov49 wrote:
photo

I’m pretty sure it’s for a cable if you had a lever to lock or unlock the rear shock

Posted: Aug 16, 2023 at 8:32 Quote
Steveurchin wrote:
simov49 wrote:
photo

I’m pretty sure it’s for a cable if you had a lever to lock or unlock the rear shock

Aaaah makes a lot of sense now, thanks Big Grin

Posted: Sep 6, 2023 at 9:17 Quote
Quick question for those that have replaced the Acros headset on Mk2 carbon Jeffsy (or any carbon frame). If using some sort of extractor for bearing / cups (ie: park tool RT-2) & a press, is it straight forward with minimal risk of damaging frame?

I've got a good amount of experience on working on cars (mechanical) and being handy around the house, but the frame being carbon makes me a bit apprehensive. Last thing I want to do is damage the carbon frame.

Posted: Sep 7, 2023 at 20:41 Quote
drapez13 wrote:
Quick question for those that have replaced the Acros headset on Mk2 carbon Jeffsy (or any carbon frame). If using some sort of extractor for bearing / cups (ie: park tool RT-2) & a press, is it straight forward with minimal risk of damaging frame?

I've got a good amount of experience on working on cars (mechanical) and being handy around the house, but the frame being carbon makes me a bit apprehensive. Last thing I want to do is damage the carbon frame.

I haven't replaced a headset (don't want to buy the tools b/c headsets last so long for me), but i've done the BB a few times and it was pretty simple. If you have the right tools I doubt it's real bad, esp if you are somewhat mechanically inclined already.

Posted: Nov 30, 2023 at 10:29 Quote
I have this headset press: https://a.co/d/1jC8L0a and this removal tool: https://a.co/d/hdLCxnl

Easy, no problem. Get yourself a Cane Creek Hellbender headset. I swapped Across to Hellbender on both my bikes, 2-3 years ago respectively. They are both as smooth as they were originally.

Posted: Nov 30, 2023 at 11:40 Quote
drapez13 wrote:

Admittedly mine was a Mk1 carbon frame, but I was able to do it tool-free. The old headset lust lifted right out, and I dropped a greased up upper and lower bearing in place and they literally sat snug in the upper and lower cups without needing a press (I used Chris King). I tamped the crown race down onto the new fork, then placed spacers, stem and top cap and torqued her down to spec and it’s been rock solid for 2 years since.

Posted: Dec 1, 2023 at 20:16 Quote
Dr-YTMTB wrote:
drapez13 wrote:

Admittedly mine was a Mk1 carbon frame, but I was able to do it tool-free. The old headset lust lifted right out, and I dropped a greased up upper and lower bearing in place and they literally sat snug in the upper and lower cups without needing a press (I used Chris King). I tamped the crown race down onto the new fork, then placed spacers, stem and top cap and torqued her down to spec and it’s been rock solid for 2 years since.

When replacing just the bearings of the headset I've never needed and extractor/press tool; just pulled right out and dropped right back into the races with zero force. Only when replacing the races have I needed an extractor/press (and even then, have even used rudimentary methods with no adverse effects).

I'm sure you have the where-with-all to work on a carbon frame (thumbs up)
They're not delicate like cheese as many tend to think. You got this!!

Posted: Dec 7, 2023 at 0:23 Quote
Btw, did anyone mullet the 29er yet?
I might try it next season.
Did try it theoretically with a bike calculator and should work fine using a 216x63 mm shock setting Flipchip to low position (shock fits without offset bushings, already testet some time ago. Flip chip is 4mm, then additional 2 mm the shock is sitting higher from „high position“) Slakens the head angle around 0,5 degree, BB hight is around the same, reach shorter by some mm, travel bumpes to 170mm (can be reduced by spacers on the DHX2 if needed.
No collision on the linkage (i currently run the jeffy with that shock in full 29 170mm)

Might be a even more funbike with the 27 pn the back Smile

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.016730
Mobile Version of Website