Bike Suggestions?

• Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Jun 25, 2016 at 6:27 Quote
Hi-

I'm wondering if y'all might have any ideas for me. Just sold my Stumpjumper Expert 29er. It felt too big and truck-like to me - I'm in Boston and we have lots of rocky technical stuff. So now I want to get a 27.5/650b. So far I've liked the Cannondale Habit SE and the Devinci Django. I like a bike that feels light and nimble. Ideally I'd like to save a few $ and go used or cheaper than the SJ if possible.

Is there anything out there that might be good for me to check out?

-Brian

Posted: Jun 25, 2016 at 14:41 Quote
Look at the Ghost Kato and Specialized Camber 27.5. You are on the right track so far. If you really want a light and nimble bike I would look at carbon bikes.

Posted: Jun 26, 2016 at 9:00 Quote
That's helpful. Thanks!

Posted: Jun 26, 2016 at 17:40 Quote
I've demoed quite a few bikes. And I would say the Yeti SB5 enduro, or if that's too much, the Kona Process 134 DL. I had the most fun on the Kona than I have any other bike. It's playful and had me smiling the whole time I was on it, and really ate up the technical stuff more than I thought it would. Unfortunately I haven't looked at the two bikes you've listed.

Posted: Jun 26, 2016 at 20:59 Quote
The Devinci Hendrix is a real blast. Have you looked at Transition? The Scout and Patrol look amazing, and everyone I know that has one is in love.

Posted: Jun 27, 2016 at 9:50 Quote
Yeah, I was at a shop yesterday that carried Transition. The shop guy said the Scout might be a fit for me, but he didn't have one there that I could ride and here aren't any other dealers in the area. Steering clear of the Yeti as I'm looking to go in the other direction from an enduro. I'm leaning more towards the light/nimble side of the spectrum.

For the Hendrix, I was so happy on the Django, it didn't occur to me to try anything else in the line. Maybe I'll go back and do that.

Kona - damn, probably could have tried one at NEMBAfest...nearest dealer is pretty far, but based on what you say, might be worth making a trip. Sounds like a fun bike.

The Ghost - I went to check it out, but coming off of a carbon stumpy, it felt kind of heavy. Too bad, great bike forthe money.

-Brian

Posted: Jun 27, 2016 at 10:21 Quote
I'd definitely try a Scout if you can. You will probably find it heavy compared to the stumpy but on the trails you don't really notice it.
I've had a Patrol and now got a Scout, it does feel very nimble and playful and can still handle an awful lot.

Posted: Jun 27, 2016 at 11:22 Quote
The "enduro" in SB5 just means it uses a lower modulus carbon (read less expensive and 300g heavier). It's a 127mm bike which puts it in the same ball park as the Scout, Kona 134 and other bikes in that range. It sure pedaled up hill a lot better than the SB6 (which is their enduro bike) I also demoed. If the Kona dealer is far away then the Scout is definitely worth a look. The Process 153 and Transition Patrol had a very similar personality on the decents, but the Transition pedaled better up hill. I didn't have any issues pushing the 134 uphill but if a Transition dealer is closer I would look at them just so I knew I had the support.

Posted: Jun 28, 2016 at 19:40 Quote
Check out the Yeti sb5 enduro and the rocky mt thunderbolt bc both are great bikes and don't let the price of the t bolt shake you If you shop you can get it for the same or less than the django

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.012640
Mobile Version of Website