Powered by Outside

Can i upgrade my fork to jump my bike?

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Can i upgrade my fork to jump my bike?
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Jun 28, 2016 at 9:26 Quote
Hello bike world,
So this is a pretty newbie question. But i have a GT Avalanche 3.0, and lately I've been trying out some little jumps in the trails by my house. I want to get more into jumping and try out the larger jumps. However knowing my bike is a "Mountain bike" and has all the stock parts on it and definitely isn't meant for jumping. I was wondering if upgrading the fork might allow me to do so? Or would i still end up braking the frame or bending the rims or something like that? If its possible then what fork would u recommend?
Thank you Smile

Posted: Jun 28, 2016 at 9:42 Quote
Maznewbie wrote:
Hello bike world,
So this is a pretty newbie question. But i have a GT Avalanche 3.0, and lately I've been trying out some little jumps in the trails by my house. I want to get more into jumping and try out the larger jumps. However knowing my bike is a "Mountain bike" and has all the stock parts on it and definitely isn't meant for jumping. I was wondering if upgrading the fork might allow me to do so? Or would i still end up braking the frame or bending the rims or something like that? If its possible then what fork would u recommend?
Thank you Smile
As you said that bike isnt really ment to jump, its xc and low end (nohing wrong with it), besides, fancier fork would probably almost as much as the bike itself, which is definitely not worth.
You can jump around that bike, but depending how big and smooth you go you could break some stuff.
I used to jump and push the limits of my orbea dakar and it fuked my wheels, and bent my cranks.
If i were you, id do everything with the bike you have now, if you progress and start breaking a lot of stuff, id think about replacing the bike with another one more orientated towards what you are doing.

O+
Posted: Jun 28, 2016 at 10:17 Quote
I used to do 10' gap jumps with my old '98 Avalanche. As stated above the smoother you land the longer the bike will last. I've moved on to other bikes for the trails but I still own that Avalanche and it makes a great commuter bike now.

Posted: Jun 29, 2016 at 14:38 Quote
Shorter stem & wider bars might be a better start.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.007949
Mobile Version of Website