Looking for new brakes (saints, guide, code, formula)

PB Forum :: Downhill
Looking for new brakes (saints, guide, code, formula)
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Jul 23, 2016 at 17:29 Quote
I'm currently looking to buy a new set a brakes for my downhill bike. I would like to know out of these, which ones are the most powerful.

- Saints m820
- Avid Code
- Formula brakes
- Sram Guide RS

I have had 2014 codes on a previous bike, really liked them even if I had to bleed them often. Although, looks like they are out of stock everywhere? Does the Sram Guide are replacing them?

I currently have an old set of saints m810, not really impressed by them. Maybe its the fact that they are old but they are not a powerful as my old codes.

Like I said.. I'm looking for strong brakes, that has lot of stopping power and that are sensitive. Second criteria is modulation.. then its the price

Thank you! Big Grin

O+
Posted: Jul 23, 2016 at 18:05 Quote
I've used guide RSC, saint, and formula. I'd recommend either the guide or saints, my formulas lacked power and were always noisy no matter what adjustments I made to them. I've had great experience with saints, they're super reliable.

Posted: Jul 23, 2016 at 18:18 Quote
Lucas-Ault wrote:
I've used guide RSC, saint, and formula. I'd recommend either the guide or saints, my formulas lacked power and were always noisy no matter what adjustments I made to them. I've had great experience with saints, they're super reliable.

Did you have the m810 or m820? I like everything from the m810 I have right now except that they don't feel as powerful as the codes I used to have.

O+
Posted: Jul 23, 2016 at 18:55 Quote
koobpt wrote:
Lucas-Ault wrote:

Did you have the m810 or m820? I like everything from the m810 I have right now except that they don't feel as powerful as the codes I used to have.
I have the m820. The codes are sram's more downhill oriented brake correct?

Posted: Jul 23, 2016 at 18:56 Quote
Lucas-Ault wrote:
koobpt wrote:
Lucas-Ault wrote:

I have the m820. The codes are sram's more downhill oriented brake correct?

Yes, but it seems they are out of stock everywhere.. I'm not sure but I think the guides might have replaced them..

Posted: Jul 24, 2016 at 21:29 Quote
Saints probably the most powerful, Guide didn't replace Code as they're not as powerful, there might be a new Code model coming, I remember someone had a prototype brake last year at Crankworx.

Posted: Jul 25, 2016 at 6:23 Quote
the Saint m820s have excellent power and modulation, but they're far from perfect.
my Saint m820s require rebleeding/fluid flushes every 3-4 days of riding. without doing so the bite point becomes inconsistent, which can be borderline dangerous when playing in black territory (or wet days, when you need to know what your brakes are going to do). I just finished another 3rd day of riding yesterday on a fresh bleed and, like clockwork, the bite point on my front brake was starting to go over the map by the end of the day. they're great when they're freshly bled, but they're a serious maintenance pig and difficult to get a good bleed on. if Shimano ditched the mineral oil for DOT fluid, they'd be the perfect DH brake.

I also own Formula the Ones. power and modulation are damned near as good as my Saints, which makes me wonder what brakes Lucas was running. and I was able to go 3 full seasons (20+ riding days each) without needing to bleed them. rotor/pad tolerances are super tight, to the point where I couldn't run my Shimano icetech rotors with them on fresh pads (dragging/constant howling). however, they had no issues with standard Avid rotors. the biggest complaint I have with Formula brakes is that I can't adjust the levers to get them as close to the bars as my Saints, something that's a bit of a deal breaker for me. if I can find aftermarket shorter push-rods, they may go back on my big bike.

Posted: Jul 25, 2016 at 22:24 Quote
I believe the new Sram Guide RE are replacing the Avid Codes. It's basically a code caliper with guide levers. A lot of pros have the black box version on their bikes for the past year.

I'd look at the Guide RE's or the Saints for a DH brake.

Posted: Jul 26, 2016 at 6:07 Quote
SRAM is finally offering a complete package with Guide levers and Code calipers, without needing to piece them together? spectacular

FL
Posted: Jul 26, 2016 at 9:07 Quote
thereisnospoon wrote:
SRAM is finally offering a complete package with Guide levers and Code calipers, without needing to piece them together? spectacular

"RE" Designed for Ebikes....

Guide RE

THE POWER OF CONTROL

Guide RE is SRAM's optimized braking solution for today's exciting category of E-MTBs, capable of handling the higher average speeds, more intense use and increased mass due to the presence of the motor and battery. It combines SRAM's proven Guide R lever assembly with a powerful 4-piston caliper derived from the gravity-focused Code brakes. Guide RE provides real, usable on-trail control—optimal power and modulation mean speed can be controlled in all terrain and in all situations, both uphill and downhill.

Guide R lever assembly with proven Guide technologies
Powerful 4 piston caliper derived from the Code gravity specific brakes
Sintered pads for better pad life in intensive use
MatchMakerâ„¢ X compatible
Ambidextrous lever mount
Tool-free reach adjust

O+
Posted: Jul 26, 2016 at 12:39 Quote
thereisnospoon wrote:
the Saint m820s have excellent power and modulation, but they're far from perfect.
my Saint m820s require rebleeding/fluid flushes every 3-4 days of riding. without doing so the bite point becomes inconsistent, which can be borderline dangerous when playing in black territory (or wet days, when you need to know what your brakes are going to do). I just finished another 3rd day of riding yesterday on a fresh bleed and, like clockwork, the bite point on my front brake was starting to go over the map by the end of the day. they're great when they're freshly bled, but they're a serious maintenance pig and difficult to get a good bleed on. if Shimano ditched the mineral oil for DOT fluid, they'd be the perfect DH brake.

I also own Formula the Ones. power and modulation are damned near as good as my Saints, which makes me wonder what brakes Lucas was running. and I was able to go 3 full seasons (20+ riding days each) without needing to bleed them. rotor/pad tolerances are super tight, to the point where I couldn't run my Shimano icetech rotors with them on fresh pads (dragging/constant howling). however, they had no issues with standard Avid rotors. the biggest complaint I have with Formula brakes is that I can't adjust the levers to get them as close to the bars as my Saints, something that's a bit of a deal breaker for me. if I can find aftermarket shorter push-rods, they may go back on my big bike.
I'm pretty sure I had lower end ones, and that's why my experience with them wasn't very good. Your experience with the saints is really strange, mine haven't been inconsistent at all.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.012538
Mobile Version of Website