lubing pivot bearings?

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
lubing pivot bearings?
  • Previous Page
Posted: Feb 6, 2008 at 19:26 Quote
I just got a new 07 enduro expert and was just wondering the proper way to lube the pivot bearings after a wet ride. and when hosing off a bike after a wet and muddy ride, is it bad to put your finger over the opening of the hose to make water come out with more force to clean it? because i heard that that more pressurized water could push past sealed bearing seals.

thanks!

O+
Posted: Feb 6, 2008 at 20:34 Quote
Um you dont have to re-lube after every wet ride.
And a hose wont be enough to push grit into your bearings,maybe a pressure washer if you sprayed directly at the bearings.

But yes it is a good idea to do it regularly,take the bearings out and clean the area/ bearing,and regrease.

O+
Posted: Feb 6, 2008 at 20:40 Quote
This is what you can do.... After you wash your bike take an Air compressor like one's at a Gas sation and Blow out all of the Pivot bearings, Then after you can take some Triflow or some lithim jel and put some on it. Good Luck.

Posted: Feb 6, 2008 at 20:41 Quote
how do i get the bearing out?

O+
Posted: Feb 6, 2008 at 20:41 Quote
But try not to wash your bike alot.

Posted: Feb 6, 2008 at 20:43 Quote
frjoeydh wrote:
This is what you can do.... After you wash your bike take an Air compressor like one's at a Gas sation and Blow out all of the Pivot bearings, Then after you can take some Triflow or some lithim jel and put some on it. Good Luck.

That's HORRIBLE advice. That'll demolish the bearing seals first time. Clean the area around them but that's it. They are sealed cartridge bearings. They don't need maintenance till they crap out.

O+
kingfisher1 wrote:
how do i get the bearing out?

You don't need to take out the bearings just to put oil on them, But if you do you would have to tap them out. which could result in getting new ones. But just oil them on the exterior. Good Luck1

frjoeydh wrote:

do you mean take out the bearings and lube them or somehow get lube on them without taking the pivots out? oh and would pedros extra dry lube work or do you need that super thick type?

Posted: Feb 6, 2008 at 20:44 Quote
I forgot to mention that bearings use grease NOT thin lubes. Also terrible advice.

O+
Posted: Feb 6, 2008 at 20:44 Quote
vashonbiking123 wrote:
frjoeydh wrote:

do you mean take out the bearings and lube them or somehow get lube on them without taking the pivots out? oh and would pedros extra dry lube work or do you need that super thick type?

Um you can use the thick stuff. Just take the air hose and blow out what you can near the pivot, then after a while put some oil on it.

Posted: Feb 6, 2008 at 20:45 Quote
vashonbiking123 wrote:
frjoeydh wrote:

PLEASE take my advice. They are sealed cartridge bearings. They don't need maintenance. When you do rebuild bearings it's with grease.

Posted: Feb 6, 2008 at 20:49 Quote
DavidMakalaster wrote:
frjoeydh wrote:

That's HORRIBLE advice. That'll demolish the bearing seals first time. Clean the area around them but that's it. They are sealed cartridge bearings. They don't need maintenance till they crap out.

good to know ^!!

which cleaner is the best?
so i wont have to use water to clean my bike.

Posted: Feb 6, 2008 at 20:50 Quote
Dave's right, sealed bearings aren't supposed to be maintained with an air hose and lube.

Bearings use grease (like in an unsealed headset), not lube.

They are sealed so dirt doesn't get in there, no need to blow the dirt out of them (just keep them clean-wipe with a rag). Replace them when they feel like crap.

Posted: Feb 6, 2008 at 20:50 Quote
JEEBUS!!!!!! Dont use air directly on the bearings! If air is getting in, then grease is getting out! That = bad.

Just rinse stuff off, and if theres an exceptionally stubborn piece of dirt, then use a rag to wipe it off!

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.035837
Mobile Version of Website