Suspension Set up - T-130 RS + QUARQ SHOCK WIZ UPDATE

PB Forum :: Whyte Bikes
Suspension Set up - T-130 RS + QUARQ SHOCK WIZ UPDATE
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Aug 26, 2016 at 3:37 Quote
Quiet in here...

I've been riding my bike with stock setting since April and have a pretty good feel for sag and damping setting.

While I've no issue with the rear shock at all - which merrily works, fully open, up or downhill, all.day.long - with the Pikes on the other hand, I'm struggling to find a sweet spot.

I'm looking for a bit more support when riding a bit more aggressively, so figure a tweak to the air volume could be the ticket. I've bought some grey bottomless tokens and plan to try out adding a third for a Surrey Hills ride tomorrow morning.

Has anyone else had a play with tokens and can comment on corrected air pressure and tweaks to damping?

For reference I'm 78kgs in full kit and have been using about 70-75psi

Cheers

Posted: Oct 18, 2016 at 15:45 Quote
ptpt wrote:
Quiet in here...

Cheers

Well there's your problem right there. You're weighing yourself in metric but putting imperial pressure in your fork.

Everybody knows that.

Posted: Oct 18, 2016 at 17:19 Quote
im 72kg (160lbs) and i run 75 psi with 2 tokens in a 160mm pike. gives good mid support but i find it bottoms easy on the really big drops. 15-25ft. im tempted to add another token or 2 and drop the pressure a bit more.

O+
Posted: Jan 11, 2017 at 14:35 Quote
ptpt wrote:
Quiet in here...

I've been riding my bike with stock setting since April and have a pretty good feel for sag and damping setting.

While I've no issue with the rear shock at all - which merrily works, fully open, up or downhill, all.day.long - with the Pikes on the other hand, I'm struggling to find a sweet spot.

I'm looking for a bit more support when riding a bit more aggressively, so figure a tweak to the air volume could be the ticket. I've bought some grey bottomless tokens and plan to try out adding a third for a Surrey Hills ride tomorrow morning.

Has anyone else had a play with tokens and can comment on corrected air pressure and tweaks to damping?

Cheers

Hey,
I've got the same model t130, took me a while to get the setup right with both the fork and rear shock. I was bottoming out badly on big drops initially so upped to 5 tokens but eventually settled on 4, also stuck two bands in the rear shock too. It's been running that setup since May and had no need to alter it since as it runs great. Did you get yours sorted?

Posted: Jan 12, 2017 at 3:22 Quote
the-wylie-man wrote:
ptpt wrote:
Quiet in here...

Cheers

Hey,
I've got the same model t130, took me a while to get the setup right with both the fork and rear shock. I was bottoming out badly on big drops initially so upped to 5 tokens but eventually settled on 4, also stuck two bands in the rear shock too. It's been running that setup since May and had no need to alter it since as it runs great. Did you get yours sorted?

I thinks so. I found that two grey tokens and 68-70 psi and a few click of compression damping improved the support and stopped me bottoming out on heavy drops.

But, to complicate matters I'm about to fit a 140mm air shaft to slacken the head angle and raise the BB a touch.

I'll be back to square 1 with the pressures and tokens!

Buying a digital pressure gauge and taking it out on rides with a shock pump seems to be the ticket.

Glad that the rear doesn't need much tweaking at all - just get out and ride it.

O+
Posted: Jan 12, 2017 at 10:01 Quote
I was thinking of making the same change to mine actually, you'll have to let me know how it goes as im a but reluctant at the minute

Posted: Feb 3, 2017 at 2:14 Quote
Fitting the 140mm airshaft was pretty simple (circlips aside!) and was a good excuse to do a lower leg service and get plenty of lovely SRAM grease in there.

Been on a couple of rides now to try and get the air pressure dialled (a few PSI lower with one less token) and I'm pretty pleased. It's boggy out on the Surrey Hills trails at the moment, so not an ideal time to be comparing suspension to my summer benchmarks - but so far, so good!

For the sake of £25 for a new shaft, it's a good excuse to strip the forks apart and have a tinker. To be honest having nicely oiled foam rings and lots if grease in there probably makes more difference to feel than the extra travel!

If you can find a supplier, I say do it.

O+
Posted: Feb 3, 2017 at 5:08 Quote
ptpt wrote:
Fitting the 140mm airshaft was pretty simple (circlips aside!) and was a good excuse to do a lower leg service and get plenty of lovely SRAM grease in there.

Been on a couple of rides now to try and get the air pressure dialled (a few PSI lower with one less token) and I'm pretty pleased. It's boggy out on the Surrey Hills trails at the moment, so not an ideal time to be comparing suspension to my summer benchmarks - but so far, so good!

For the sake of £25 for a new shaft, it's a good excuse to strip the forks apart and have a tinker. To be honest having nicely oiled foam rings and lots if grease in there probably makes more difference to feel than the extra travel!

If you can find a supplier, I say do it.

Thanks for the feedback. I think I'll get hold of a shaft and give it a go, as you say its not too much of a job and an excuse to give the fork a once over, the additional BB height will be helpful as well.

Posted: Feb 27, 2017 at 3:30 Quote
Out of curiosity I borrowed a pair of Quarq Shock Wiz sensors from Liam @ Surreyhills suspension on the weekend and enjoyed a great morning on the trails in Mickleham/Box Hill.

It's a fairly user-friendly system and once rigged up the bike you just ride and then respond to the tuning advice offered in real time via the app.

photo

The object is ride across a broad spectrum of trails conditions to give enough data for for the system to provide a confidence level on various tweaks to damping and pressure. After each change you start a 'new session' and then monitor how the shocks are responding in terms of packing, bob, bottoming etc.

My base settings weren't a million miles off, but with a bit more pressure, some more rebound and a token in the Pikes the system claimed to be 100% confident in an optimised setup!

photo
photo

Similarly, the Monarch Debonair also need a touch more air and will need a bit of internal work come the next service to add a volume band.

photo
photo

While £400 to buy just one sensor is bloody steep, if you can rent one (or even better two in my case!) it's an enjoyable way of field-testing your own intuition and feel for your suspension settings.

The bike did feel nicely balanced and i appreciate the confidence it provides offering a base platform to work with come a trip to new trails or a change to a new season of weather.

Check out Liam's 'Surreyhills Suspension' Facebook page for more details and give him a shout

Posted: Mar 8, 2017 at 8:00 Quote
So for those of us that will probably never get a shot at the Quarq Shock Wiz, could you post what set up you ended up with? Volume spacers, pressures and your riding weight?
Thanks

Posted: Mar 8, 2017 at 8:26 Quote
Tikiguy wrote:
So for those of us that will probably never get a shot at the Quarq Shock Wiz, could you post what set up you ended up with? Volume spacers, pressures and your riding weight?
Thanks

No problem. I'm 75kg full kitted and while a trail rider, I like to jump the bike and do fairly large drops (up to 6ft).

PIKE

- 140mm air shaft.
- 75psi
- x2 volume spacers
- Low speed compression full open. Its not an RCT3, so I don't have hi-speed damping controls.
- The shockwiz advised i use a surprising amount of rebound damping - about 6 clicks
- Dynamic 27% sag

Monarch

- 184 psi
- no volume bands, but 1 or 2 were suggested by the app
- 6 clicks of rebound
- run fully open
- Dynamic 27% sag

Posted: Mar 9, 2017 at 6:56 Quote
Thank you very much. I'm going to try to adjust the numbers for my weight, ride a loop at my current set up, change and see how it feels. Amazing technology that is coming out now. Might as well take advantage of it.

Posted: Mar 14, 2017 at 10:43 Quote
So I did an adjustment to my tune using information from ptpt. Yes, I could feel the difference and yes it was better. With difference in body weight and my public school math running the conversion numbers I know I'm off a little but it was well worth the time. I'm still on a 130mm fork so added one spacer for a total of three. I was able to drop the compression all the way down to two clicks. Tracked small stuff really well and I never bottomed (didn't hit anything super big just some smaller, 3-4' drops and doubles. Going to play with minor adjustments once the local jump park dries up a bit to try and fine tune it even further.
Thanks again for the info ptpt.
If anyone has a chance to play with a Shock Wiz I believe it is time well spent.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.011880
Mobile Version of Website