Crazy setup idea?

• Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Nov 12, 2016 at 4:09 Quote
Hey everyone, I have a potentially super stupid idea... I thought I'd ask around before I go for it haha. I recently had a disaster involving a broken chain, wrecked rear derailleur and bent derailleur dropout. In my attempts to fix the situation, I got the wild idea that maybe I could skip the whole setup in the back and go to a single hub back there and basically run on just the three gears up front (kind of like how people will opt for a single hub up front and multiple in the back). Obviously my range of gears would drastically change, but for my daily commute I don't need my bike to be able to climb or descend anything incredible. Has anyone ever played around with this or have I come up with the dumbest idea ever? Thanks for the help!

O+
Posted: Nov 12, 2016 at 4:26 Quote
Better get a huge chain tensioner.

O+
Posted: Nov 15, 2016 at 23:44 Quote
Start doing squats and convert to a single speed. If whatever disastrous problem you had happened on a "daily commute" I'd say it wasn't the fault of having multiple gears but maybe your particular setup, brand, condition, etc. If anything, I'd switch to a smaller cassette in the back and go with a single chainring up front (convert to a 1x setup). Or just go single speed.

Posted: Nov 16, 2016 at 20:42 Quote
3 up front,1 at the rear,yup i've done that.locked rear d with the limit screws.
worked ok for me.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.009959
Mobile Version of Website