Radon Owners Thread!

PB Forum :: Other
Radon Owners Thread!
Posted: Jan 9, 2019 at 5:57 Quote
I'm currently looking at the swoop 170 8.0. As the 2019 and 2018 version are the same price, is there any reason not to get the 2019? I Can't find any reviews of it online yet so wondering what people's opinions are!

For sizing, I'm 6'3 so I'd guess I'd want the 21 size, is there anyone who's a similar height, did you go the large size?

Posted: Jan 9, 2019 at 15:17 Quote
m4rc91 wrote:
I'm currently looking at the swoop 170 8.0. As the 2019 and 2018 version are the same price, is there any reason not to get the 2019? I Can't find any reviews of it online yet so wondering what people's opinions are!

For sizing, I'm 6'3 so I'd guess I'd want the 21 size, is there anyone who's a similar height, did you go the large size?

I'm 6'2.5 and I've got a 2016 radon swoop, in a size 20". I wanted a 20" as the 22" had a taller seat tower and I wanted the low standover height with the saddle down, I dont feel the bike is too small or too short, it feels spot on.

I put it into park mode,the lowest setting on the flip chip and I've noit tried the other settings. Its utterly awesome on the downhills and in the corners, and drifts beautifully, although I do get pedal strikes with the bottom bracket so low, but I just have to be careful where I pedal, but its sooo worth it. It also goes uphill without any issues, it certainly doesnt feel slow or sluggish uphill.

I did find that all the bolts (including main pivot) came loose, until i applied thread lock. I've since added maxxis tyres, higher rise raceface bars, SDG ti saddle, Zee brakes, XTR mech and shifter, added bottomless rings to the vivid shock and a luftkappe to the lyriks and now it's perfect, utterly perfect!!! I love it!! I dont get bike envy anymore, I have my perfect bike and I dont beleive there's a better more suitable bike for me.

Posted: Jan 15, 2019 at 4:06 Quote
mcozzy wrote:
keaty1984 wrote:
mcozzy wrote:
At 6foot when I was considering the 2019 swoop the large at 19 was the one I was going to go for.
why are you not going for it now??

I was ready to pull the trigger at the 10% off just before christmas. But ultimately decided I didnt need a new bike as my existing ones are fine and a large travel 29'er wouldnt be that suitable for my usual riding spots in the south. But the price/spec was almost too much to resist.

I hope the 10% off will repeat itself. Sadly I missed the offer. Full factory build seems really cheap at 3400 Euros.

Posted: Jan 18, 2019 at 0:34 Quote
Vulhelm wrote:
I experimented a bit at the start, but once I got used to the low BB I just kept it in the lowest setting for everything because it feels so stable like this.

Also I upgraded by air spring in my Lyrik to 180mm debonair which lifted the BB a few mm and slackened the HA a tiny bit

I’ve just ordered the 180mm debonair conversion, I’m riding in a rocky area this last week and decided in park the bb is too low but also that I wouldn’t want a steeper head angle with the steep drops with holes and the lyrik is too harsh on constant rocks when running enough pressure to keep it high in the travel. I really hope the 180mm debonair will solve all these problems. Out of interest have you tried he trail setting with the 180mm fork? Wonder if it results in more or less the same angles as stock park setting but just running a bit higher?

Posted: Jan 18, 2019 at 12:37 Quote
Trail mode with a 170 is 65.3 HA and -14mm BB.
Park mode with a 170 is 64.8 HA and -21mm BB.
Trail 180 is 64.8 HA and -10 BB.
Park 180 is 64.3 HA and -17 BB.

(roughly speaking)

This is in theory. You've got to remember that once you take 2 or 3mm off that extra 10mm for sag then the difference isn't exactly massive. Having said that I definitely suffer less pedal strikes after going 180

Posted: Jan 18, 2019 at 14:20 Quote
Good to read this as I'm running a 180mm Fox 36 and struggled with the idea of going park but concerned with poss to slack a head angle or trail but higher BB. Think I'll go back to park, love a bit if gravity, hate peddling up.

Posted: Jan 18, 2019 at 22:34 Quote
Just ordered the new Slide Trail 9, hope It Will show at my Door the first week of march. I was in doubt between the radon and the Yt capra 29 CF pro because they share more or less the same geometry in size L wich was exactly what i was searching for, beside of the 10/20mm of more or less travel between the two. The capra looks very nice to me, but has biblical delivery queues. Also the Radon offers an astonishing kit for the price, we're talking of full Fox factory suspensions, gx Eagle, magura brakes, dt's m1700 and raceface/sdg finishing kit for quite 900€ less than the capra, so After Reading the first riding impressions on a couple of German magazines wich were enthusiastic, i went for the Slide. I Wish i made a good choiche

Posted: Jan 19, 2019 at 1:41 Quote
I'm 184cm and recently rode a Bird AM9 in size L with 500mm reach and it felt perfect geometry but I need more travel.

The swoop in the largest size has a shorter 491mm reach but it also has a 33mm higher stack! I feel that this might make the bike actually feel bigger as the true reach from bb to headtube is longer (hypotenuse of the triangle).

I see most people my height would go for the smaller size but the Bird felt perfect. Is anyone else sizing up?

Posted: Jan 20, 2019 at 7:55 Quote
liamhutch89 wrote:
I'm 184cm and recently rode a Bird AM9 in size L with 500mm reach and it felt perfect geometry but I need more travel.

The swoop in the largest size has a shorter 491mm reach but it also has a 33mm higher stack! I feel that this might make the bike actually feel bigger as the true reach from bb to headtube is longer (hypotenuse of the triangle).

I see most people my height would go for the smaller size but the Bird felt perfect. Is anyone else sizing up?
I'm exact height as you, I spoke to Radon and other radon owners they all said go with the 19"

Posted: Jan 21, 2019 at 1:51 Quote
liamhutch89 wrote:

yep i did, im 181cm and bought the large which i believe is 20"

the only change i made to size was fitting a 40mm stem.

Posted: Jan 21, 2019 at 8:50 Quote
180cm here and ride a 2018 20" Swoop 10 (50mm stem)
It's great...wouldn't want to go shorter, and there's plenty of stand over height.

miniator wrote:
liamhutch89 wrote:

yep i did, im 181cm and bought the large which i believe is 20"

the only change i made to size was fitting a 40mm stem.

Posted: Jan 22, 2019 at 14:29 Quote
So, I took the plunge on a coil for my Swoop 170. As the video shows, it is incredible off the top of the stroke. (especially when compared with the standard Float X, no video of that I'm sorry.)
Views: 111    Faves: 0    Comments: 0

Initial impressions are great, I've really missed having a coil on my bike. There is far more mid stroke control and it no longer just sits and wallows in the middle like it used to with the Float X. For those concerned about bottom out, I have a 600lb spring and I'm yet to feel it bottom, but haven't been to a bike park or anywhere very rough yet. (although I didn't feel it bottom with the Float X either.) The extra mid stroke support makes the bike jump far better too, although a coil isn't without it's pitfalls. There is ALOT more pedal induced bob than the Float X, but on a Vivid, you can just spin the dial to all the way closed and it's almost non-existent. Apologies for the silly instagram border on the photo, pinkbike wouldn't let me upload one without.
Coil for the Radon.

Posted: Jan 22, 2019 at 18:09 Quote
Nice, I'm about to but the swoop 170 8.0 I'm not a lover of the debonaire. I phoned tftuned today regarding 2018 vs 2019 x2 and my weight 105kg... They got all the curve ratio etc of the bike and advised me to go for a ohlins shock with a 600lb spring. I was told by radon that the swoop wouldn't work on a coil as its too linear.... Tf responded we can make any coil work.... Apparently the swoop as much the same curve as the yeti..

Posted: Jan 23, 2019 at 2:02 Quote
Just over 2 years on still love this bike!

Standard spec bar:

Michelin Wild Enduros, with DIY foam inserts and Muc Off Sealant,
Deathgrip grips,
40mm RF stem,
Nx Rear Mech,
Shock and fork tuned and running DH World Cup spec internals.

photo

Posted: Jan 23, 2019 at 6:01 Quote
keaty1984 wrote:
Nice, I'm about to but the swoop 170 8.0 I'm not a lover of the debonaire. I phoned tftuned today regarding 2018 vs 2019 x2 and my weight 105kg... They got all the curve ratio etc of the bike and advised me to go for a ohlins shock with a 600lb spring. I was told by radon that the swoop wouldn't work on a coil as its too linear.... Tf responded we can make any coil work.... Apparently the swoop as much the same curve as the yeti..

If that’s true that’s amazing. Have an SB66 frame sat in the garage and that played well with my old CCDB and the Vivid Air i have for it now works really well in it. Only thing i’d say be careful of is you might end up wanting new forks to match, my previously super supple forks now feel wooden in comparison to the rear end haha.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.014427
Mobile Version of Website