What derailer and cassette can I put on my kona operator to make it more suitable for riding around town

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
What derailer and cassette can I put on my kona operator to make it more suitable for riding around town
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Dec 30, 2016 at 11:56 Quote
What derailer and cassette can I put on my kona operator to make it more suitable to riding around town rather than uplift days? There isn't many uplift days around me so I can only ride downhill every couple of months so what parts can anyone suggest I swap onto my bike to transform it into an easy pedellar around town on the weeks in between riding downhill?? Much help appreciated as someone suggested changing derailer and cassette any suggestions what ones to pick as I have no clue?? Cheers. Is it possible to achieve an easy peddelling bike for riding round town and then transform back into downhill beast for uplift days?!

Posted: Dec 30, 2016 at 14:24 Quote
Change tires, cheapest and easiest thing you can do, get something "street" (Maxxis DTH id suggest) and pump them suckers up.. (60-70psi)

Tighten up the suspension as well..

You might not need anything else, ive run my DH bike like this for spring training

Posted: Dec 30, 2016 at 17:10 Quote
Aaronz25RS wrote:
Change tires, cheapest and easiest thing you can do, get something "street" (Maxxis DTH id suggest) and pump them suckers up.. (60-70psi)

You might not need anything else, ive run my DH bike like this for spring training

Thanks soo much for reply bro. so just a case of pumping tyres up to f*ck!! and tightening suspension. with the current cassette and rear derailer wil i not be pedalling like a mother f*cker? if not will do as you suggest cheers

Posted: Dec 30, 2016 at 17:30 Quote
sellcrackcocainetofundhobby wrote:
Aaronz25RS wrote:

Thanks soo much for reply bro. so just a case of pumping tyres up to f*ck!! and tightening suspension. with the current cassette and rear derailer wil i not be pedalling like a mother f*cker? if not will do as you suggest cheers

I dont know what you have for a cassette, but I mean I run 1x11 with a 36 front, 11/44 rear, it does pretty well on the street...

I would try the cheap stuff first, tires are cheaper than a cassette/derailer and tightening up the suspension is free!

You might find you dont need a cassette or derailer

Posted: Dec 30, 2016 at 17:43 Quote
Aaronz25RS wrote:

yeah your right try the cheap stuff first. ive had a look at the dhx tyres they look like they will do the job. they wont look ridiculous on a full sus mtb though will they lol thats my only worry! but you say you have been running them on your full sus bike so i pressume not!

Posted: Dec 31, 2016 at 1:58 Quote
cobba wrote:
Buy another bike that's more suitable for riding around town, have a look on gumtree.

That wasn't very helpfull as I don't want to spend lots of money on another bike as I wouldn't be seen dead on a shit cheap bike I have bike standards through my love for bikesnot being funny pal just need advice on transforming my kona operator

Posted: Dec 31, 2016 at 4:05 Quote
I recently rode a hardtail around for a few weeks and can tell you what I did.
I have two wheelsets and swap out the 27.5+ for 29" wheels. For commuting I run a larger chainring like a 34-36. In the rear its just a 11-36 10sp cassette. I would recommend Sram over Shimano since you can run a 10t cog( but requires a XD driver) and run 10-42 which would be a nice range. Once again a 36t chainring should give you a suitable range. All this said, it really depends on your local topography. If its relatively flat then you may be able to get away with a nice 10sp setup that you can buy hella cheap these days.
Rolling resistance is largely affected by tread. The slicker the better. Too much pressure though will also increase rolling resistance( for whatever scientific reason I don't understand).

Posted: Dec 31, 2016 at 5:21 Quote
fronthole wrote:
I recently rode a hardtail around for a few weeks and can tell you what I did.
I have two wheelsets and swap out the 27.5+ for 29" wheels. For commuting I run a larger chainring like a 34-36. In the rear its just a 11-36 10sp cassette. I would recommend Sram over Shimano since you can run a 10t cog( but requires a XD driver) and run 10-42 which would be a nice range. Once again a 36t chainring should give you a suitable range. All this said, it really depends on your local topography. If its relatively flat then you may be able to get away with a nice 10sp setup that you can buy hella cheap these days.
Rolling resistance is largely affected by tread. The slicker the better. Too much pressure though will also increase rolling resistance( for whatever scientific reason I don't understand).

great answer buddy yeah its relatively flat where i live. heres my new bike spec http://2014.konaworld.com/operator.cfm what would you change on this then? cheers for your great reply bud greatly appreciated you legend

Posted: Dec 31, 2016 at 6:20 Quote
Aaronz25RS wrote:

yeah your right try the cheap stuff first. ive had a look at the dhx tyres they look like they will do the job. they wont look ridiculous on a full sus mtb though will they lol thats my only worry! but you say you have been running them on your full sus bike so i pressume not!

Yeah, it looks a little silly, but im not riding to look good for others, it worked, that what primary

Posted: Dec 31, 2016 at 8:55 Quote
Aaronz25RS wrote:
Aaronz25RS wrote:

Yeah, it looks a little silly, but im not riding to look good for others, it worked, that what primary

lmao good comment i will deffo invest mainly to preserve my high roller 2's so i dont shag em riding on roads

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.010144
Mobile Version of Website