Shimano SLX M7000 Brakes and Reliability

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
Shimano SLX M7000 Brakes and Reliability
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Jan 2, 2017 at 16:35 Quote
How do the new SLX brakes hold up and how do they compare to the XT M8000s? I know the XTs have had some initial teething issues. Is there any reason why you would go with SLX over XT brakes? Thanks.

Posted: Jan 4, 2017 at 2:34 Quote
Price would be the big one. You only miss out on the (still) not very functional free stroke adjustment and get a slightly duller finish. You still get finned pads and tool free lever adjustment.

As for reliability, haven't heard any bad things yet about them, but then they haven't been out as long though...

Posted: Jan 6, 2017 at 17:18 Quote
Hi I've heard people saying m7000 more reliable than m8000, but I can't see shimano letting the m8000 stay that way. Personally I very recently finished a new build . Thought long and hard what brakes to get, knew I wanted shimano , as got xt785 on my hardtail. In the end I sourced a new set of xt785 as if it's not broke don't fix it. It wasn't easy getting a new set as their getting rare , front not to hard to get in complete form, but the rear is getting rare,unless you pay through the nose to unscrupulous sellers, buy used or get in component form which is expensive. I've seen the odd American spec versions ie reversed levers pop up sometimes.. hope this helps

Posted: Jan 16, 2017 at 21:27 Quote
Thank you for your replies. I had XT785s on the rear but the porcelain pistons cracked. Front brake is stock Deore. I could buy a new caliper for $39, but I've been contemplating upgrading both front and rear.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.009469
Mobile Version of Website