Crankworx Rotura

• Previous Page
  • Next Page
O+
Posted: Feb 4, 2017 at 1:08 Quote
Hey guys/girls.

Very likely going to crankworx this year since Im finally on this side of the world for it. Any recommendations on riding or things to do while there?

Also, if anyone is around and wants to show me and probably a couple guys around I can promise lots of beer lol

Cheeeeeeeeeeers

O+ FL
Posted: Feb 4, 2017 at 1:43 Quote
Just ride, ride, and ride some more Razz

Heaps to do in Vegas on and off the bike. The forest is free to ride in and if need be you can rent bikes from most of the bike shops in town or from Mountain Bike Rotorua whom have a shop in town and also at the Waipa Mill entry into the forest.

Shuttles run on weekends from Waipa Mill at 9am, and then from a little bit up the road inside the forest thereafter for the rest of the day.

There is a 4-stage EWS Challenge Enduro on the 25th, the day before the EWS round #1. The Challenge one is for every Joe Schmo, but numbers will no doubt be limited. Entries open for that on the 14th Feb on the Crankworx website.

The forest has some great old school singletrack like Creek Track, Old Chevy, Sweet n Sour etc, a huge range of DH runs varying in grade (mostly blue - advanced) either reached by turning your cranks or catching the shuttle, and everything in between. The shuttle drops off where you have the choice of about eight trails, some of which link up with some longer runs, for instance Billy T, to G Rock, to a 15-min or so forest road ride to Time Warp up to the trig and then you have the choice of a black diamond run of Frank n Furter, on to Riff Raff, then Rocky Horror (all grade 5, black diamond), or Split Enz into Pondy DH which is all blue grade 4.

You can literally spend several days in the forest and plan routes where you don't do the same trail twice.

Off the bike you have all the touristy things, from the Agrodome which has jet boating, high wire swing, this pedal roller coaster thing, and other stuff I can't remember off the top of my head right now! A little further up the road is Off Road NZ where you can go 4WD or go karting (out doors), plus there is white water rafting, or do the Luge on the same hill as Crankworx is based, or even ride the same trails as used for Crankworx.

45mins away by car is Taupo and they have another 100km or so of trails to ride, but you have to purchase a day pass for riding there ($10).

All trail networks are on Trailforks and it's pretty hard to get lost in the forest.

This vid was made a few years back...some of the trails now have trees around them again, others are a bit cut up now (more fun), but it gives you an idea of some of the top picks Smile

O+
Posted: Feb 4, 2017 at 1:49 Quote
Ah cheers for all the info! Ill look into that, any recommendations on where to stay if I was bringing my own bike?

O+ FL
Posted: Feb 4, 2017 at 2:19 Quote
You'll find the Rotorua motels and hotels very welcome to bikes. Many have wash facilities and/or secure storage. The town is very much a MTB town.

On a budget / have camper van? Hit up Rotorua Thermal Holiday Park - takes about ten minutes to cruise pedal to Waipa Mill trail head from there. They also have self contained cabins, also cabins where you use the campground facilities, and bunk rooms too. Free hot pools there to soak in as well - about 40-ish degrees C.

Fenton Street has about forty motels on it and is the main drag for motels.

You also have Novotel and Ibis down at the lake. Basic hotels starting at around $120/night.

Have a look at www.travelbug.co.nz and search Rotorua for available options Smile

Whilst checking out links, also check http://www.riderotorua.com/

The forest is a working forest, and currently the block that Corners trail is in is getting felled, so is off limits at the moment.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.008111
Mobile Version of Website