MTB frame for dirt jump/street

PB Forum :: Dirt Jumping & Street
MTB frame for dirt jump/street
  • Previous Page
Posted: Feb 15, 2017 at 4:08 Quote
Hi all,
I have recently built a 27.5" xc mtb to replace my old and outdated 26" xc mtb and want to convert it into a dirt jump bike.
I ordered a cheap DMR frame off ebay for £100 as I thought I wouldn't need anything too expensive, when It arrived I was shocked by the weight of the frame (3.5KG) and decided it was probably worth getting a good quality one.
I liked NS bikes majesty dirt as it advertised that it can run non-tapered forks easily (the forks I want to use are old Rockshox Reba's) and it was much lighter (2.2KG). but sadly when it arrived I not only still thought it was pretty heavy for a frame of that size but also that it cant run my crank (shimano slx). I do understand why all the DJ frames are so heavy, they need the reinforcement to take the big impacts of dirt jumping, but the gear I'm going to use for the bike is all xc so no matter how strong the frame Is my wheels or forks will probably give out way before the extra strength Is any help, plus most of what I'm going to be doing is probably learning skills on it and maybe a bit of light dirt jumping I doubt I will need something that strong anyway.
I used to have an old specialized hardrock sport frame size 13.5" but I sold it a while ago. I would love something like that again as it had a rly short wheel base and weighed nothing. I know it may sound like I'm really OTT weight conscious but I'm not very tall and only weigh 50KG so it would really help to have something light. Would anyone know where I could get a small mtb frame that's lightweight and has good features for DJ/Street?
I was going to run single speed with a 9 to 1 speed hub/cassette adapter but I know that if I get a normal mtb frame it will have vertical dropouts and require a chain tensioner. One of the advantages of going SS for me was that I wouldn't have a derailleur to break and it would keep the ride quieter but would a chain tensioner not just recreate these problems?
Sorry I wrote so much I just wanted to add as much info as possible XD
Thanks in advance guys Big Grin

Posted: Feb 15, 2017 at 6:50 Quote
it may still be to heavy for you but I'd take a look at a dartmoor hornet

Posted: Feb 15, 2017 at 6:53 Quote
Ajarm19 wrote:
it may still be to heavy for you but I'd take a look at a dartmoor hornet

the hornet 4x not the regular hornet, honestly I don't know how many frames are out there that aren't around 2 kg

Posted: Feb 15, 2017 at 15:47 Quote
Thanks for the quick reply,
The darmoor hornet is good but again pretty heavy compared, my old frame was from a £500 mtb so it wasn't worth especially much but it was just so light and felt so stiff, i would rly like something similar. I didn't even think to look at 4x tho, ill have a look now and see what i find. thanks

Posted: Feb 15, 2017 at 16:14 Quote
It seems i cant find any 4x frames which match what im looking for,
If its any help my old 13.5" specialized hardrock sport frame was just a normal mtb frame in size xs, if anyone knows any good 26" xs mtb frames that would be any good?

FL
Posted: Feb 15, 2017 at 16:16 Quote
I wouldn't trust a lighter frame, my zircus is just over 2kg and it feels great. But I don't ride street, if I did I would steel frame, and be happy with 2.5kg.

Xc bikes like you old spec. Break.

Posted: Feb 17, 2017 at 6:45 Quote
I don't know if what you're planning on doing if the frame would brake, with proper care and no overexertion I think that you'll be fine, however I don't know many frames that would be as light as you desire just because the frames are built to be stronger with strength the first priority over weight

Posted: Feb 17, 2017 at 6:52 Quote
Youre gonna hurt yourself trying to DJ/street using an old pair of Rebas

Weight costs, you know this, everyone knows this...

You bought a 100£ DJ frame with certain expectations and its obvious you didnt do any research or you would have known it was a 3.5kg frame..

Me thinks you need to keep doing research before spending more money, or just buy a frikkin DJ and stop trying to polish a turd

Posted: Feb 17, 2017 at 10:46 Quote
i bought the frame of ebay and the weight was not specified, I had no way of finding out.
I'm not going to be doing anything that is especially hard on the bike and I have pushed my rebas pretty hard before and they seemed to handle it fine. I know they arnt good enough for serious DJ but I'm not going to be doing anything that harsh at first, until I know I want to do it seriously as I don't wanna buy a dj bike and then find out that I cant handle it, let alone my bike. My plan was to get a cheap frame for the other parts to 'trial' Dj riding.
I guess I should just try and sell all my 26" xc parts to save up for a real DJ bike?
what would u guys advise? I really like the cannyon stitched 360 but if anyone knows anything better for the money?
Thanks for the help anyway, I was hoping I wouldn't have to cash out on a DJ bike but it looks like its gonna be worth it.

Posted: Feb 17, 2017 at 10:53 Quote
UNKNOWN5 wrote:
i bought the frame of ebay and the weight was not specified, I had no way of finding out.
I'm not going to be doing anything that is especially hard on the bike and I have pushed my rebas pretty hard before and they seemed to handle it fine. I know they arnt good enough for serious DJ but I'm not going to be doing anything that harsh at first, until I know I want to do it seriously as I don't wanna buy a dj bike and then find out that I cant handle it, let alone my bike. My plan was to get a cheap frame for the other parts to 'trial' Dj riding.
I guess I should just try and sell all my 26" xc parts to save up for a real DJ bike?
what would u guys advise? I really like the cannyon stitched 360 but if anyone knows anything better for the money?
Thanks for the help anyway, I was hoping I wouldn't have to cash out on a DJ bike but it looks like its gonna be worth it.

if you want maybe spend a couple hundred bucks on a bmx bike or rigid 26 inch bike, they'll be significantly lighter. However I have seen people using road bike frames on the dirt jumps and doing better than others with $1000 dollar bikes, honestly I wouldn't shell out to much until I have some experience and am certain I want to get into it.

Posted: Feb 17, 2017 at 13:31 Quote
Ajarm19 wrote:
UNKNOWN5 wrote:

if you want maybe spend a couple hundred bucks on a bmx bike or rigid 26 inch bike, they'll be significantly lighter. However I have seen people using road bike frames on the dirt jumps and doing better than others with $1000 dollar bikes, honestly I wouldn't shell out to much until I have some experience and am certain I want to get into it.

Where have you seen people(someone) using a road bike frame on dirt jumps, specifically...

Got pics, cause thatd be a sight to see

Posted: Feb 17, 2017 at 13:45 Quote
UNKNOWN5 wrote:

Besides googling it... really..

Posted: Feb 17, 2017 at 17:42 Quote
Aaronz25RS wrote:
Ajarm19 wrote:
UNKNOWN5 wrote:

Where have you seen people(someone) using a road bike frame on dirt jumps, specifically...

Got pics, cause thatd be a sight to see

I don't have pics but I've definitely seen it I was a bit taken back at first but he rode surprisingly well I was impressed

Posted: Feb 17, 2017 at 19:26 Quote
I dont believe you

Posted: Feb 18, 2017 at 3:08 Quote
I have seen people ride pump tracks on a road bike and there was even a GMBN youtube video on jumping roadbikes so i think it is possible, just very treacherous. i googled it and only rly found this and its from a cyclo cross race so its not real DJ, but he is getting some air at least.
And no the cheap DJ frame i bought was a DMR reptoid which seems to not to exist according to google, so i did google it i just couldn't find any info.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.013255
Mobile Version of Website