Giant Reign 1 2017 VS Giant Trance 1 2017

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Giant Reign 1 2017 VS Giant Trance 1 2017
  • Previous Page
Posted: Mar 6, 2017 at 2:32 Quote
Hey Guys, just wondering your opinions on Giant's new 2017 reign 1 vs their new 2017 trance 1 (or if you think the carbon (Advanced) versions would be better)

I am looking buy either of these bikes to use in local enduro races and possibly a little bit of mellow DH riding. But it also has to climb well.

Main differences are that the reign has 160mm of travel and SRAM X1 components and the trance has 150mm of travel and Shimano Deore XT components.

Just ask if you have any other questions about what I will use it for etc etc.

THANKS

P.S. This is only my second PinkBike post so don't hate.

Posted: Mar 6, 2017 at 4:10 Quote
DanBaileyMTB wrote:
Hey Guys, just wondering your opinions on Giant's new 2017 reign 1 vs their new 2017 trance 1 (or if you think the carbon (Advanced) versions would be better)

I am looking buy either of these bikes to use in local enduro races and possibly a little bit of mellow DH riding. But it also has to climb well.

Main differences are that the reign has 160mm of travel and SRAM X1 components and the trance has 150mm of travel and Shimano Deore XT components.

THANKS

i was riding both frames yesterday on a short DH track. Not 1's but - mine 1.5 ltd reign 2017, and friends Trance 3 2017. No matter what the marketing news will tell you, despite all the recent changes to the frame, theres still a gap between trance and reign when it comes to downhill performance. of course, trance is a better climber, it will climb a little faster, but reign will climb everything that trance can, just a little bit slower. So if you tend like me to ride bikeparks, choose a reign. Previously i had a pimped trance 2, where only frame left from the original bike. I had a 160mm fork, monarch plus rc3, mavic wheels, and when i switched to reign this winter i was blaming myself - why so late! Big Grin

Posted: Mar 6, 2017 at 13:47 Quote
If you do more xc go with the trance. If you do more all mountain go with the reign. I just built up a reign after 2 years on a trance. The difference is absolutely amazing. I don't have lifts where I ride so I have to pedal up and I honestly don't think it takes me any longer. Although I'm not racing up the hill. That extra suspension, stiffer frame, and geometry makes coming down so much more fun. Stuff that gave me severe butt pucker on my trance all of a sudden became super easy and way more fun.

Edit:
A beefed up trance will never do what a reign is suppose to do.

Posted: Mar 6, 2017 at 14:12 Quote
I agree with the previous two posters. I normally ride a Specialized Enduro (same class as the Reign) but I currently have a loaner Trance Advanced 1 on demo. I rode it last weekend. First, it's light 27.5lbs with pedals! Everything on it works well, super solid and fun bike, great spec for the $$. I feel its a great trail bike. But if you want a bike that is better for the downs the Reign is a better choice. That being said with the right rider and possibly a longer travel fork the Trance could be and excellent weapon. It depends on what you ride and what sacrifice you are willing to make. Trance=better on the climbs. Reign=better on the descents.

Posted: Mar 8, 2017 at 2:01 Quote
For going up hills on rocky terrain , trance is much better, ha 67 vs reign 65 head angle.
Your hands does not suffer from fighting with handlebar uphill like you do with the reign.
But on fire roads and other mellow roads, uphill pedaling is sufficient with reign, almost like trance.
But newer fox rear shock can lock almost like a hardtail-without going into full sag, which I cannot say for rock shox monarch, in that way seat angle stays higher,.
On longer dh courses monarch plus stays cooler than regular fox dps evol without piggy.
For climbs on rocky terrain you do not have to lock any rear shocks, they both have little or no pedal bob.
There are many bikes that pedal better (I mean on bikes with-better seat angle), but few bikes in that category can go downhill like reign....
Under my roof I have; reign 1 , 2015, and trance 2 , 2017.
I agree with peggie in everything..

Posted: Mar 8, 2017 at 15:08 Quote
DanBaileyMTB wrote:

THANKS

There are a lot of differences between the two besides the component spec and 10mm difference in front suspension and maybe 20mm rear. Your best bet is to go to the Giant website and use their "compare" tool and really look at the geometry differences between the two side by side. If you are looking for a real-deal enduro racing bike and a bike that can be used for lift access DH days go with the Reign hands down. I love my 2017 trance advanced 1 and I bought it because it's the perfect bike to toss in a flight bag and ride anywhere. It takes a ton of abuse with the 140mm rear 150mm front and is just slack enough for gnarly descents. However I'm talking about bike trips and fun rides. If I was going to race, I'd have gotten a Reign. I use my Glory for DH runs so the Trance was the right fit for me.

Posted: Aug 20, 2017 at 13:48 Quote
goodwrench wrote:
I agree with the previous two posters. I normally ride a Specialized Enduro (same class as the Reign) but I currently have a loaner Trance Advanced 1 on demo. I rode it last weekend. First, it's light 27.5lbs with pedals! Everything on it works well, super solid and fun bike, great spec for the $$. I feel its a great trail bike. But if you want a bike that is better for the downs the Reign is a better choice. That being said with the right rider and possibly a longer travel fork the Trance could be and excellent weapon. It depends on what you ride and what sacrifice you are willing to make. Trance=better on the climbs. Reign=better on the descents.
how much better is the reign for downhill. Are we talking a LOT better?

Posted: Aug 20, 2017 at 13:49 Quote
goodwrench wrote:
how much better is it on the downhill? Is it a lot better?

Posted: Aug 21, 2017 at 6:16 Quote
JakeMarsden974 wrote:
goodwrench wrote:
how much better is it on the downhill? Is it a lot better?

There's a massive difference between the two going down, the Trance I found a bit twitchy, the Reign just ploughs through.

Posted: Aug 21, 2017 at 7:03 Quote
Slacker head angle, longer wheelbase, more travel.... The reign is a mini DH bike that can be pedaled easily enough.

Posted: Nov 22, 2017 at 20:55 Quote
I recently sold my 2017 Trance 2 to a mate and purchased a 2017 Reign advanced 1. The reign is most certainly longer and slacker than the trance, this is apparent as soon as you jump in the saddle. Whilst the trance excels in trail riding capability the reign leaves it for dead as soon as you point it downhill. Biggest surprise for me was the minimal difference in how the two climb, the reign is a capable climber for a bike exhibiting its specs. If you like going downhill and can cope with a slightly bigger bike on trail rides, make it reign!!

Posted: Nov 22, 2017 at 22:55 Quote
Local Enduro races and DH tracks = Reign.

I just sold my ‘15 Reign and picked up a ‘16 Trance. For different reasons, exact opposite reason actually (got a new Park bike, need trail bike). Trance = trail! Of course you could throw the trance down a DH course, but why if you have options to a Reign?!

O+
Posted: Nov 23, 2017 at 4:55 Quote
If you live near a pike park and more than 25-30% of your OVERALL riding will be downhill runs - get the Reign. As others have said it will still pedal fine on uphill or even cross country type trails.

O+
Posted: Apr 12, 2018 at 13:04 Quote
Hopefully this doesn't take us off course. My question: is there a bike out there that has the Reign down abilities and the Trance trail abilities?

O+
Posted: Apr 12, 2018 at 16:07 Quote
brandonbergey wrote:
Hopefully this doesn't take us off course. My question: is there a bike out there that has the Reign down abilities and the Trance trail abilities?

Trek Remedy

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.008610
Mobile Version of Website