Build Your Own Bike

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Build Your Own Bike
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
O+
Posted: Mar 23, 2017 at 13:35 Quote
The search engine wasn't giving me what I wanted so here I am asking the masses to point me in the right direction. Im looking for a new hobby and decided building my own bikes rather than buying them off the showroom floor would be a good idea. So I've been scouring the internet channels trying to find a good forum thread or youtube channel that documents the learning process from A to Z. But have been unsuccessful so far. I'm hoping the community here can point me in the right direction and can get my bike tinkering career jump started! Thanks fellas and gals!

O+
Posted: Mar 23, 2017 at 13:39 Quote
What do you want to know?

What tools you need?
What to buy? what to build?

http://www.bikewebsite.com/homebikeintro.htm

I build pretty much all my own bikes and have rebuilt almost anything that comes on a bike, and somethings are not worth doing yourself.

1) Buy GOOD tools
2) Start with the easy stuff that delivers good value- My opinion wheels are a good starting place vs say suspension rebuilds

Ask away.

O+
Posted: Mar 23, 2017 at 14:26 Quote
I would just be doing the basics to start. Start with frame, drivetrain, brakes, buy wheels already assembled, suspension assembled. So I guess I'm looking for a good overall guide for a beginner to build a bike. From tools to grease to parts. I'll check out the website!
letoy2 wrote:
What do you want to know?

What tools you need?
What to buy? what to build?

http://www.bikewebsite.com/homebikeintro.htm

I build pretty much all my own bikes and have rebuilt almost anything that comes on a bike, and somethings are not worth doing yourself.

1) Buy GOOD tools
2) Start with the easy stuff that delivers good value- My opinion wheels are a good starting place vs say suspension rebuilds

Ask away.

Posted: Mar 23, 2017 at 15:40 Quote
Barnetts bicycle Repair Manual is a really good resource. Much better than the Park tool Big Blue book. I think you can find older versions of Barnetts online for free.

Just be aware, Building a bike is always more expensive than buying a complete bike. Always. and often, significantly more.

There are also various standards, so not all parts will fit together... in fact most will not. this can be complex for someone just starting out

O+
Posted: Mar 23, 2017 at 16:41 Quote
Hmmm good to know, I will be on the lookout for that book. Why do you say that it is more expensive to build your own bike? I figured finding good deals on the buy and sell page you could build a great bike for much less.
cmcrawfo wrote:
Barnetts bicycle Repair Manual is a really good resource. Much better than the Park tool Big Blue book. I think you can find older versions of Barnetts online for free.

Just be aware, Building a bike is always more expensive than buying a complete bike. Always. and often, significantly more.

There are also various standards, so not all parts will fit together... in fact most will not. this can be complex for someone just starting out

Posted: Mar 23, 2017 at 17:19 Quote
cpcleverly wrote:
Hmmm good to know, I will be on the lookout for that book. Why do you say that it is more expensive to build your own bike? I figured finding good deals on the buy and sell page you could build a great bike for much less.
cmcrawfo wrote:

I say it because its true. Even buying used, the total parts are always great than a complete bike.Just poke around the buy sell and add it up.

Lets use a 2014 Norco Aurum as an example (because I was recently looking at these). CDN dollars...

a complete bike can be found from between 1400-1700 asking price.

The same bike bought as parts;

Frame/Shock - 800
fork - 600
wheel set - 400

Thats 1800 .. and you still need;

tires/ tubes
Handel Bar
Crank
Drivetrain (casstte, chain, mech, shifter)
Pedals
Breaks
Rotors
Seat post
seat
New cable set
Grips

and maybe a brake bleed, and some fresh bearings

Posted: Mar 23, 2017 at 17:21 Quote
It doesn't get any better with older bikes.. I can pick up a beater cruiser/commuter for around 250. bucks that's freshly tuned....

but to the build the same bike, even with a free frame/fork is still going to be more.

Tires/tubes - 80
Cable set - 40
seat - 5
seat post- 5
stem - 5
rear mech - 20
shifter - 20
cassette - 35
chain - 20
pedals - 5
crank - 5
BB- 35
grips - 10
brakes/levers - 30
Wheels - 80

= 395

and these are really cheap prices on used parts, the only thing I am calculating as new are the tires,grips, chain, BB and cassette. Not including shipping. so it assumes you have a wealth of available used parts locally.

O+
Posted: Mar 23, 2017 at 20:50 Quote
Guy above is right... but that doesn't mean it isn't worth doing it for other reasons.

I like building bikes because I do have a wealth of local parts from friends and local bike junkers. I like building the bike I want to build.

after about 4 bikes, I have figured out where I like to spend my money and build bikes I like competitive to a retail bike of similar performance...

Posted: Mar 23, 2017 at 21:06 Quote
I am not trying to disswade you... Just wanted to you to be aware of what you are getting into. I have built several bikes over the years, both new and used. I really enjoy the process and mechanical work. Over time I have built up a great collection of spare parts and tools... It's a great hobby.

If you just want to get warmed up on the mechanical side, tearing down and rebuilding a cheap, complete ( or mostly complete) bike is great experience.

O+
Posted: Mar 24, 2017 at 7:56 Quote
Definitely valid points there. I guess I will reevaluate the pros and cons but I think maybe starting off with an older bike for a tear down and re build would be a good place to start to see if this is a hobby I'd enjoy before blowing a bunch of coin on it. Thanks fellas!

Posted: Mar 24, 2017 at 11:14 Quote
Up until last year I built every bike I owned by buying a new/used frame and swapping parts onto it from my stock pile or the bike it was replacing.

Building up your own bikes is a lot of fun, a great learning experience, and very satisfying.

It can be more expensive if you have to buy all new parts, but I was usually able to spread out the cost over a long period of time as I upgraded things.

Just my 2 cents.

Cheers

O+
Posted: Mar 24, 2017 at 18:49 Quote
I followed CP bikes method most of the time!

Good luck!

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.011005
Mobile Version of Website