Slack AND light 29er hardtail?

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Slack AND light 29er hardtail?
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Apr 19, 2017 at 6:03 Quote
I'm looking to buy a light (up to 10kg) hardtail meant for XC racing. But I want it to have "modern" geometry -- longer, and slacker head angle (say 68, maybe 68.5 degrees). From my search it looks like these two conditions are mutually exclusive... The closest I found is Canyon's Grand Canyon, it has HA 68.5deg, but the top model weighs over 11kg. Others don't even go below 12kg.

Are there some models that pass both my conditions? (currently available in Europe, and not *too* expensive, say up to 2k$ for a used one).

Or maybe I should buy a "normal" 29er with 69-69.5 head angle, and replace the 100mm fork with a 120mm one? This should decrease the HA by about one degree. It will also lift the BB by a few mm, I'd have to test if that makes a difference. Or maybe get a freame/fork combination that will work with an angled headset? Does anyone have experience with such cases?

O+ FL
Posted: Apr 19, 2017 at 17:35 Quote
Transition bikes just announced and released the Vanquish 29. Frame is only 1.4 kgs. Built up with fairly light parts should put you around 10 kgs. 67 degree head angle and steep STA.

Posted: Apr 20, 2017 at 3:19 Quote
lucythefin wrote:
Transition bikes just announced and released the Vanquish 29. Frame is only 1.4 kgs. Built up with fairly light parts should put you around 10 kgs. 67 degree head angle and steep STA.

Yeah, saw the announcement too. Looks great, it will be a while until it's available though.

O+ FL
Posted: Apr 20, 2017 at 14:34 Quote
Yeah, other than that though it looks like it's heavier all mountain type hardtails to fit the long, low and slack definition. Or light XCish, steep headtube angle hardtails that will require some sort of modification to slacken it out.

Posted: Apr 20, 2017 at 14:41 Quote
I looked around for just a frame a few months ago. I ended up building a Canfield EPO with a mrp 150mm fork for even for travel. The frame is 66.8° Head angle, with a (140mm fork)
And has a short and 414mm chainstays.
Raced it the last three weeks and loving it. Climbs good and can descend great also.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.009609
Mobile Version of Website