Need tattoo protection advice

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Need tattoo protection advice
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Apr 24, 2017 at 8:25 Quote
Hey Guys,

I have a tattoo that covers pretty much my whole forearm and I am looking for the best way to protect it. I am not sure if getting some "trail rash" will be enough to ruin the tattoo but I don't want to take the chance. I am considering the Troy Lee speed elbow sleeve because it has full forearm coverage (link below). Or can I get away with just wearing a long sleeve jersey. I know the the pads will be the safest bet, but I would prefer just a jersey if that will do the trick.

http://www.troyleedesigns.com/speed-elbow-sleeve

Thanks in advance for the advice!

Drew

Posted: Apr 24, 2017 at 13:16 Quote
Stay home and out of the sun.... Smile

Do you wear a full face or does a helmet mess up your hair?

Posted: Apr 24, 2017 at 14:13 Quote
Pads will work better but a long sleeve t-shirt under a long sleeve jersery will be ok too. The two layers rubbing each other is better than a jersey on your skin when you fall.

Posted: Apr 24, 2017 at 14:15 Quote
Thanks FabianJ for the hilarious and useful advice. I was more concerned with crashing and scaring the tattoo rather than sun damage.

Posted: Apr 25, 2017 at 8:19 Quote
Daledenton wrote:
Pads will work better but a long sleeve t-shirt under a long sleeve jersery will be ok too. The two layers rubbing each other is better than a jersey on your skin when you fall.

Thanks Daledenton, Ill give it a shot.

Posted: Apr 29, 2017 at 5:48 Quote
You would have to really gouge your skin to the point of stitches to permanently damage your tattoo. The ink is in your dermis layer and is not gonna come out unless you have it lasered off. If you just got the tattoo and is still healing then wait another week or two. Otherwise you can throw on some gauze and tape it or wear armpads as mentioned above. I would be worried about fading more than anything. 50 spf or higher sunscreen should be applied to prevent this from happening. Tattoos will act like a black t-shirt left out in the sun over time. They will fade and change color if not protected. Just my 2 cents. I have a large tat that covers my back so imagine having to slather on sunscreen by yourself.

O+
Posted: Apr 30, 2017 at 15:50 Quote
I just have one tattoo on my right forearm, a couple years back I took a bad crash and skinned my arm good. Tattoo was never affected.

Posted: May 2, 2017 at 2:08 Quote
no need for protection. had multiple crashes and rashes and never did it affect the ink. just go ride and enjoy!

Posted: May 2, 2017 at 8:03 Quote
As long as the tattoo is properly healed you will be fine, dont forget the sunscreen though!

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.010658
Mobile Version of Website