What's your go to clip in pedal for trail riding?

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
What's your go to clip in pedal for trail riding?
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Apr 28, 2017 at 8:27 Quote
Hey all, relatively new to trail riding. I currently have flats on my Cannondale hardtail but am wanting to try out clip in. I do have experience with clip ins for road riding but am wanting to know what everyone uses for trails.
Thanks in advance!

Posted: Apr 28, 2017 at 10:38 Quote
Shimano xt. Super light and they last forever.

Posted: Apr 28, 2017 at 11:07 Quote
How are they when caked with dirt/mud?

Posted: Apr 28, 2017 at 13:36 Quote
I'm using XT "race" (not the large platform Trail model).
they aren't too bad, very few times they've clogged enough I could not clip in, unlike the older style SPDs.

Posted: Apr 28, 2017 at 13:39 Quote
I have been able to use mine trouble free when I wasn't even able to see the cleat on my shoe due to mud. I'm from so-Cal so it's not really a problem I usually face. I've had mine for 4 years without any service and they work like new.

FL
Posted: Apr 28, 2017 at 13:47 Quote
+1 SPD.
I've ridden with the same set of the lowest end shimano pedals (PD-M530). $30 online and they are heavy but the retention mechanism is the same as the high end pedals and they last forever. They can clog up in mud though but flats are way more fun in mud anyway Salute

Posted: Apr 29, 2017 at 9:20 Quote
Cb mallet e! A nightmare in clipping out, but once you get the correct cleat set-up and technique, perfect! Any mallet tips would also be appreciated lol

Posted: Apr 29, 2017 at 20:19 Quote
I rode both Shimano and CB. I like Shimano XT trail and XTR trails having a click you can feel and adjustment for tension and I believe they are easier to get in and out of. Shimano has been the go to and I went back after a time on Mallets. I like the feel of CB mallets better though. Harder to get out, getting in is about the same but I don't feel the same kind of click when clip in. Mallet has more float and more of a platform.

I actually picked up a pair of Mallet E LS to try but am waiting till I get new shoes into put the cleats on.

Posted: Apr 29, 2017 at 21:54 Quote
I still gravitate to my late 1990s shimano dh pedals. As long as it's not super muddy they work great and the platform makes them extra comfy.

Posted: Apr 30, 2017 at 1:35 Quote
Speedplay Frogs when you want option of being locked in or locked with no resistance disengagement . The other option is some pedal float making it easy for the knees. I personally like the no resistance disengagement, just remove the front locking mech from the cleat. As long as you pedal forward you are locked in, as soon as you pull back from the pedal it disengages from the pedal.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.010874
Mobile Version of Website