What do you guys think..better frame or better parts?

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
What do you guys think..better frame or better parts?
  • Previous Page
Posted: Apr 28, 2017 at 11:20 Quote
So after a ton of looking around and researching, I had settled on the new Trance Advanced 2 in my mind (purchasing this summer). Carbon frame and wheels with Sram GX and Yari fork, etc. I have always liked the idea of the RM Altitude but didnt like the current AL models.

With the new Altitude just released, I'm really liking the looks of the Altitude Alloy 50. Alloy frame, Fox float 36 performance fork, Shimano XT/SLX drive train with what looks to be a bunch of other pretty good components. The question is...forgetting about how the ride..would you guys look at carbon with low end components or Alloy with higher end components? This will probably be my bike for the next 5 or so years and I dont plan on doing any major upgrades.

The extra 10mm on the fork too is pretty tempting given that my local riding is steep and techy.

Thoughts?

O+
Posted: Apr 28, 2017 at 18:32 Quote
I'd go for the better specced aluminum bike.
It has all the updated long, low, slack geometry and standards like boost and metric shock sizing plus the geometry is adjustable.
From the looks of it and early reviews it is a very fast bike on the ups and downs for the amount of travel. Plus you can always upgrade to better lighter components of your choosing.

Posted: Apr 28, 2017 at 20:26 Quote
I would take the better spec'd alloy. every time.

O+
Posted: Apr 29, 2017 at 8:44 Quote
I would go for the big ticket items such as the better frame and fork seeing as most drivetrain parts are wear and tear items and will end up being replaced at some point. But as long as you are still getting decent parts on the original build because truly crappy parts can make for a shitty ride such as constant mis-shifts and brakes that fade.

Posted: Apr 29, 2017 at 15:12 Quote
Thanks for the info, much appreciated! Excited to hear more reviews about the new Altitude

Posted: Apr 29, 2017 at 22:04 Quote
I'd go better frame and lower spec drivetrain. Drive stuff wears out, replace with higher spec when and if necessary. I've generally found the Lowe spec stuff to hold up well and work great, just a bit heavier is all.

Posted: Apr 29, 2017 at 22:12 Quote
Its not just the drive train .. the alloy bike is spec'd with better components all round .. suspension, wheels.

You're going to notice the improved suspension, drivetrain and wheels far more than you would notice the difference in a carbon vs aluminum.

Posted: Apr 30, 2017 at 0:09 Quote
Given an option between cheap frame, high spec'd components or nice frame, cheap components - nice frame every time.

However I wouldn't say the Trance is spec'd lower than the Altitude alloy 50. Id definitely pick the GX drivetrain over Shimano xt/SLX, plus you get the XD cassette.

With the suspension fork, both will be comparable in terms of the stiffness. Yari is the same exact chassis as the Lyrik but uses the motion damper. The performance Fox 36 uses the grip damper instead of RC2 (Factory version). Long term wise - the open bath Motion control on the Yari will be easier to maintain than the fox 36 fit grip damper - when changing oil.

Both looks to be great bikes, good luck!

Posted: Apr 30, 2017 at 0:47 Quote
I'd have to go for better frame then upgrade over time when components wear out (or start to upgrade sooner if you really want to). Maybe the only thing I'd change straight away would be the wheels.

Posted: Apr 30, 2017 at 7:09 Quote
sdken wrote:
Given an option between cheap frame, high spec'd components or nice frame, cheap components - nice frame every time.

However I wouldn't say the Trance is spec'd lower than the Altitude alloy 50. Id definitely pick the GX drivetrain over Shimano xt/SLX, plus you get the XD cassette.

With the suspension fork, both will be comparable in terms of the stiffness. Yari is the same exact chassis as the Lyrik but uses the motion damper. The performance Fox 36 uses the grip damper instead of RC2 (Factory version). Long term wise - the open bath Motion control on the Yari will be easier to maintain than the fox 36 fit grip damper - when changing oil.

Both looks to be great bikes, good luck!

Hmm interesting, I have always viewed shimano XT as medium-high range and GX as the better of srams low end stuff.

I guess it's just going to be trying out both and seeing what naturally gravitate towards. The Altitude seems to be more aggressive trail friendly so that may be what's drawing me to it without going to a full enduro bike.

Can anyone comment on giants house brand vs race face stuff? I'm guessing that's how giant manages to offer carbon frame and wheels for 400$ more than Rocky Mountain..

Posted: Apr 30, 2017 at 7:28 Quote
I test rode a $5k carbon Gaint, and maybe the Tech set the sag wrong, but the pedals hit a lot. Ended up getting Altitude 770 Rally with stock Fox suspension but upgraded XTR brakes and drive train. Plenty of ground clearance even with a 36T chainring. I weigh 195 and my daughter, who weighs 140, rides the Altitude sometimes, putting me back on my 1999 Element Race (still a great bike); it takes 3 min it adjust the Ride-9 for her without adjusting air in the shocks. The Ride-9 on the Altitude gives you options to tweak the bike that you won't get on the Trance....Don

Posted: Apr 30, 2017 at 10:09 Quote
DonLopez wrote:
I test rode a $5k carbon Gaint, and maybe the Tech set the sag wrong, but the pedals hit a lot. Ended up getting Altitude 770 Rally with stock Fox suspension but upgraded XTR brakes and drive train. Plenty of ground clearance even with a 36T chainring. I weigh 195 and my daughter, who weighs 140, rides the Altitude sometimes, putting me back on my 1999 Element Race (still a great bike); it takes 3 min it adjust the Ride-9 for her without adjusting air in the shocks. The Ride-9 on the Altitude gives you options to tweak the bike that you won't get on the Trance....Don

How often do you find yourself using the ride-9 for yourself(not including changing it over for your daughter)? Is it something you change regularily based on the riding youre going to be doing? or more of a find where you like and set and forget it? I really like the idea of adjustable geo - especially if its something most people find they actually change on a regular basis

Posted: Apr 30, 2017 at 10:34 Quote
I tried several positions with the Ride-9 system when I first got the bike, but found the spot I like best and keep it there. My daughter only rides when home from college, and I set it in the top position for her which is for lighter riders. I think spot 8 is what I use, just aft of bottom (heavy side of climb) but there are no mountains where I ride. The Altitude is overkill for our trails, but I am getting older and don't feel as fatigued as I do on bikes with less travel. There is a BMX section that I was afraid to do on my older Element, but the Altitude is a beast and now I am fearless. I wouldn't trade it for anything, well except maybe a 2018 model Altitude.

Posted: Apr 30, 2017 at 10:52 Quote
DonLopez wrote:
I tried several positions with the Ride-9 system when I first got the bike, but found the spot I like best and keep it there. My daughter only rides when home from college, and I set it in the top position for her which is for lighter riders. I think spot 8 is what I use, just aft of bottom (heavy side of climb) but there are no mountains where I ride. The Altitude is overkill for our trails, but I am getting older and don't feel as fatigued as I do on bikes with less travel. There is a BMX section that I was afraid to do on my older Element, but the Altitude is a beast and now I am fearless. I wouldn't trade it for anything, well except maybe a 2018 model Altitude.

Cool, thanks a lot for the info. I think im leaning more towards the altitude but il have to take a test ride first. Where i ride is essentially where the Altitude was born, so i dont think i can go wrong.

Ive also owned mostly rockys in my life, raced xc on an older vertex team SC and did most of my aggressive riding as a teen on an ETSX-30 so ive had good times with rocky mountains.

FL
Posted: Apr 30, 2017 at 14:39 Quote
Better part spec. I own the aluminum trance 2 and I absolutely love it so far. Climbs better than my old xc race bike and is super stable on the downs. Haven't ridden the rocky though so I can't compare the two. My one complaint is that it's a lot less playful than what I'm used to coming from a short travel xc bike with 26 inch wheels. It's possible I haven't gotten the suspension set in its most playful form yet, but it has so much grip and sticks to the ground so well that I hesitate to mess with the tune any more.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.010693
Mobile Version of Website