Commencal Meta SX V3 or Meta AM V4.2

PB Forum :: Commencal
Commencal Meta SX V3 or Meta AM V4.2
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: May 9, 2017 at 19:10 Quote
Thinking of going with a Commencal frame. I am either buying the Meta AM V4.2 in large and build it up with components that I already have.

Commencal Meta AM V4.2 - frame size large
Shimano XT 11 speed drivetrain
Guide RS brakeset with 200mm rotors
Deity cockpit
blah blah blah (going to have to buy a 650B wheelset since it uses boost)

Commencal Meta SX V3 - frame size large
Thinking of buying the complete build via Commencals website as the price is good.

I am concerned however with the Meta SX is that it won't climb to my satisfaction. I need to be able to climb as my riding is more than usually the same, climb and descend. Rinse and repeat. Which is why I am comparing it to the AM V4.2.

I've never ridden a Commencal but previously I've ridden Devinci, Specialized, Yeti, Evil, Transition, Chromag, and YT.

Posted: May 11, 2017 at 13:45 Quote
I own a 2016 meta sx, my friend has a 4.2. having rode both I'd go with the sx. The 4.2 is awesome, but The stock build from commencal on the sx is a steal at the price and the bike absolutely rips downhill. On the ups iv honestly never used the climb mode. There is no Bobbing at all when pedaling up. The rear shock linkage is very stiff in the beginning of the travel so it stays planted when climbing, and the front tire stays down in steep climbs. I ride mine on everything downhill, and even local xc tracks. It is the best do all bike iv ever had.

Posted: May 18, 2017 at 0:25 Quote
I own a 2017 sx and it pedals great uphill. Downhill is amazing and the performance is just off the chart. I was able to take all the same lines on my SX that I had been riding my Devinci Wilson on last year. Very impressed with Commencal thus far. I imagine the 4.2 is great as well. The question is do you want that edge uphill or sending trails? The SX dollar for dollars is more value that the 4.2 imho.

Posted: May 18, 2017 at 22:11 Quote
I have a meta sx from 2015 (with 26 wheels). Love the bike...even more than my capra cf comp. But I think my next bike will be the am v4.2

There is one problem I've noticed with the sx that I'm hoping the am v4.2 will have fixed, and that is: I'm a heavy-ish rider (210lbs with gear) and I've had to service my rear shock every 3 months. I added some volume spacers, which I think has helped. But since the 4.2 has a more progressive rear suspension design, I'm hoping it'll last longer between service intervals than the sx.

Posted: Dec 5, 2017 at 12:33 Quote
Can anyone confirm that AM V4.2 is more progressive than Meta SX?

Posted: Dec 5, 2017 at 14:51 Quote
If you mean progressive in the context of actual suspension movement, not design, then a part to consider is that the rear shock that comes on the SX (2017) cannot have bands (rear tokens) added to it to make it more progressive in its travel.
If you mean progressive as far as suspension design then the 4.2 is newer. If you want to be on trails all the time 4.2, if you want to charge steep rough terrain or bike parks then the SX is great.

Posted: Dec 5, 2017 at 16:06 Quote
I really enjoyed my 2014 meta sx, however blew through the rear travel too easily. I want another one to experiment with tokens, volume spacers, but as you say the stock shock doesnt accept them. It seems like the AM V4.2 is the way to go for me..

Posted: Apr 16, 2018 at 22:40 Quote
I’ve been saving up for the Meta SX for over 2 years now and can’t wait to get one. Currently own a 2012 Kona Entourage but am trying to get in the Enduro scene while still keeping some downhill. I am 5.7 but am still growing what size should I get?

Posted: May 10, 2020 at 17:49 Quote
Hi, new to this thread. Thinking about which model to get and I was looking at the geometry of the v4.2 and the v3. The v4.2 seems a lot longer and taller with a longer wheelbase, stack, and reach. Has anyone noticed a difference between how the two models ride and feel? Does the v4.2 feel longer? Thanks.

Posted: May 11, 2020 at 9:04 Quote
Also which is better at descending?

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.012344
Mobile Version of Website