[HELP!] Specialized Stumpjumper, rear wheel sliding or wobbling?

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
[HELP!] Specialized Stumpjumper, rear wheel sliding or wobbling?
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: May 23, 2017 at 1:36 Quote
Hi everyone,

I have a Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp 29er (2014). Since my last 3-4 rides, I have noticed that my rear wheel just feels like sliding or a bit wobbling for unknown reasons. Here are a few of my observations since the last rides:

1) The rear wheel may sometimes feel wobbling while giving pedal strokes.
2) It would slide out to the side easily while pumping a downslope or riding a downhill rock section.

I know the difference because I can feel it very well. I can sense how the bike feels now and how it felt a month before.

I have already tried pushing the wheel to check for any play, but trust me there is none. I also got the spokes tension checked and the wheel is completely true, so we can rule that out I guess.

Does anyone have any tips? What's giving me a headache is that I can't find the source to the problem? Any opinions are welcome and greatly appreciated.

Thanks

O+
Posted: May 23, 2017 at 3:06 Quote
Is your axle tightened all the way?

Posted: May 23, 2017 at 3:38 Quote
im not entirely sure but i think thats your bearings.

you might wanna check them.

Posted: May 23, 2017 at 6:55 Quote
arphia wrote:
All the way in. I thoroughly checked it before and during every ride. Every time it happened on the trails, I got down and checked the wheel for any play. But none.

Posted: May 23, 2017 at 6:58 Quote
dhananjay151293 wrote:
arphia wrote:
All the way in. I thoroughly checked it before and during every ride. Every time it happened on the trails, I got down and checked the wheel for any play. But none.
The bike is probably 5-6 months old, and I probably rode maybe for half of that time in total, about 1-2 hours per ride. Do you think it's enough to fry out the bearing?

It hasn't been abused with jumps or drops at all, only roots, rocks, or some small drops.

Posted: May 24, 2017 at 1:01 Quote
my bike is that old as well and im replacing me rear wheel bearings allready. the drive side seal didnt do its job.
i noticed becouse i had issues you described here thats why i mentioned it.

Posted: May 24, 2017 at 5:44 Quote
RecklessJack wrote:
my bike is that old as well and im replacing me rear wheel bearings allready. the drive side seal didnt do its job.
i noticed becouse i had issues you described here thats why i mentioned it.
Thanks for the tip my friend. I will take it directly to the LBS for service. Let's see if the bearing need replacement.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.010032
Mobile Version of Website