Problem with Avid Juciy 5's

PB Forum :: SRAM
Problem with Avid Juciy 5's
Posted: Feb 21, 2008 at 15:05 Quote
or instead of a blow torch use fine grit sand paper in small tight circles...much easier and without the worry of warping the rotor

Posted: Feb 21, 2008 at 15:07 Quote
im guessing the sandpaper would just get oil on it and become useless.

Posted: Feb 21, 2008 at 15:15 Quote
I am probably not saying anything new, but you can also buy cleaner for your rotor, it sounds hokey bit it works(some times) i think its called "disk doctor". You can also flame your pads, I do this to break in new ones (occasionally). never flamed a rotor before, I'll try it next time disk doctor doesn't work. (this is assuming you have already check and tightened everything else that can be checked and tightened Smile )

Posted: Feb 21, 2008 at 15:40 Quote
-FSA- wrote:
im guessing the sandpaper would just get oil on it and become useless.

i doubt it's oil...they just look like they haven't been bedded properly

Posted: Feb 21, 2008 at 15:42 Quote
look a the rotor it's black!

Posted: Feb 21, 2008 at 15:45 Quote
New pads : 15$
New Rotor : 35$

Powerfull Quiet brakes : Priceless !

Posted: Feb 21, 2008 at 15:46 Quote
-FSA- wrote:
look a the rotor it's black!

have u never seen black streaks on an improperly bedded rotor??

Posted: Feb 21, 2008 at 15:51 Quote
no i a have not im not trying to start a argument it could be oil or could be improper bedded

Posted: Feb 21, 2008 at 15:56 Quote
-FSA- wrote:
no i a have not im not trying to start a argument it could be oil or could be improper bedded

i agree it could be either...

Posted: Feb 21, 2008 at 17:34 Quote
so many of the methods above will proabbly work i would check the bedded if it is correct

O+
Posted: Feb 21, 2008 at 17:46 Quote
I'd like to agree that those old Roundagon rotors are Notorious B.A.D. You should grab some G2 Clean Sweep rotors (Avid as well). More even braking and much quieter. Win-win!

Posted: May 11, 2009 at 13:52 Quote
Hi i have a big problem with my avid 5, i have bled it about 6 times, to the exact way avid have said/shown, i used the video and my experience of other avid and many other brakes, but no matter what i do this brake will not bleed properly, i have got all the air out of it ( i cant physicaly get any more out) and its still shite, i used the proper avid bleed kit and avids recommended dot 5.1 oil, help me i really want to keep this brake, any ideas whats wrong ?
cheers jack

Posted: May 11, 2009 at 14:13 Quote
I had just bought a used bike with some very loud breaks, i am gussing the kid i bought it off of touched the rotors/pads with his hands. if was the rotor he touched the area where there is pad contact you will contaimate your breaks. DONT DO THIS, even if you want to clean mud off the rotor. the oil from you hands will make a nice quite break scream like a Banchee. easy to fix though:
buy some rubbing alcohol from your local drug store. cheap and usualy better then disc/pad cleaners.

side note, you can also use Vodca, though make sure its a decent one so there are no contaimantes in it. then you can turn it into a break cleaning party. this method is more expensive....

Clean rotor/pads with said alcohol.
(you can bake, boil said pads before cleaning to relive the tension in the pad, but this dosent do much)
dry with soft rag, be carful not to touch rotor/pad with your bare hands.'

Posted: May 12, 2009 at 8:01 Quote
hadlari wrote:
I had just bought a used bike with some very loud breaks, i am gussing the kid i bought it off of touched the rotors/pads with his hands. if was the rotor he touched the area where there is pad contact you will contaimate your breaks. DONT DO THIS, even if you want to clean mud off the rotor. the oil from you hands will make a nice quite break scream like a Banchee. easy to fix though:
buy some rubbing alcohol from your local drug store. cheap and usualy better then disc/pad cleaners.

side note, you can also use Vodca, though make sure its a decent one so there are no contaimantes in it. then you can turn it into a break cleaning party. this method is more expensive....

Clean rotor/pads with said alcohol.
(you can bake, boil said pads before cleaning to relive the tension in the pad, but this dosent do much)
dry with soft rag, be carful not to touch rotor/pad with your bare hands.'
it may sound odd, but mud and dirt are actually helpful for a brake, especially for one trying to bed in, the grittyer the better it makes the pads really rough and makes them work better, but the squeeling does sound like oil your right, could be from a puddle with some in it, your hands or cleaning chemicals

Posted: May 12, 2009 at 19:14 Quote
NO, Do not ever lead Mud, grime and dirt on your rotors. Scuff your pads with some high grit sandpaper

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.013791
Mobile Version of Website