Do Chain Guides Slow Down Pedaling

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Do Chain Guides Slow Down Pedaling
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Jun 22, 2017 at 10:07 Quote
I want to get a chain guide because my chain falls off multiple times every ride. If I get a chain guide/tensioner will it cause friction when I pedal? Also, any thoughts on how to keep my chain on tight without a guide?

Posted: Jun 22, 2017 at 10:55 Quote
ridgerider199 wrote:
I want to get a chain guide because my chain falls off multiple times every ride. If I get a chain guide/tensioner will it cause friction when I pedal? Also, any thoughts on how to keep my chain on tight without a guide?

It will cause more friction while pedaling, but the amount is negligible. What bothers me most about chain tensioners is the constant "rolling" sound of the guide wheel while pedaling. Keep your chain tight by shortening it as much as possible, using a clutch derailleur if you don't already have one and pairing it with a narrow wide chainring.

Posted: Jun 22, 2017 at 13:56 Quote
ridgerider199 wrote:

What driveline do you have? Is it a clutch type derailleur? I don't have guides on either bike with a Narrow wide ring and a clutch type derailleur and have no dropping issues.

I used to use a small upper chain guide that didn't touch the chain but kept it from hopping off. It worked well and never dragged on the chain at all.

Posted: Jun 22, 2017 at 17:03 Quote
dirtrider76 wrote:
ridgerider199 wrote:

What driveline do you have? Is it a clutch type derailleur? I don't have guides on either bike with a Narrow wide ring and a clutch type derailleur and have no dropping issues.

I used to use a small upper chain guide that didn't touch the chain but kept it from hopping off. It worked well and never dragged on the chain at all.

Yeah! A little upper chain guide shouldn't drag at all if set up correctly. With a clutch derailleur and a narrow wide chainring, you shouldn't drop chains. But if somehow you are, a small upper chain guide will do the trick!

Posted: Jun 22, 2017 at 21:23 Quote
Having no chain on your bike will definitely slow down peddling. What's the lesser of the two drag vs no chain.

Posted: Jun 23, 2017 at 3:38 Quote
Have you checked that your front chainring isn't worn? Most of my friends and myself haven't found a guide necessary with clutch type derailleurs and narrow/wide chain-rings...

Posted: Jun 27, 2017 at 12:16 Quote
derekguy123 wrote:
dirtrider76 wrote:
ridgerider199 wrote:

Yeah! A little upper chain guide shouldn't drag at all if set up correctly. With a clutch derailleur and a narrow wide chainring, you shouldn't drop chains. But if somehow you are, a small upper chain guide will do the trick!

I have a clutch and a narrow wide and it still falls of a ton... no idea why. Ill have to try the upper chain guide.

Posted: Jun 27, 2017 at 13:33 Quote
My Rune has a POS about dropping chains even with a clutch and a narrow wide. It had to have a upper guide on it at least. I pulled the drivetrain off that when it broke and put it right on my Slash with no guide and no issues. Some frame designs just need a guide to keep things together in the rough stuff.

Posted: Aug 5, 2017 at 19:51 Quote
Bikes have differing chain adjustment mechanisms, and in general, the rear axle and wheel move forward or backward in order to set chain tension.

Posted: Aug 5, 2017 at 21:18 Quote
carroll090 wrote:
Bikes have differing chain adjustment mechanisms, and in general, the rear axle and wheel move forward or backward in order to set chain tension.
You must be a BMX bro. Most mountain bikes have thru axles or quick releases which have only one position. The derailleur takes up the slack in the chain.

Posted: Aug 8, 2017 at 10:17 Quote
ridgerider199 wrote:

I have a narrow wide ring with a clutch zee rear mech and no chain guide. If I'm in the top two thirds of the cassette descending I won't drop it,Also if your chain is anyway worn it will drop a lot easier. Keep new chains and rings on and you shouldn't need a guide. I'm sure you could get a guide of some sort that won't make any noise and stop the dropping issues. Also I added more tension to my zee clutch and the noise reduced even more it's almost silent!

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.011045
Mobile Version of Website