Shockwiz on Pikes

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Shockwiz on Pikes
  • Previous Page
Posted: Jun 26, 2017 at 0:25 Quote
I have used a shockwiz to check my suspension and am getting indications to add a token and to lower the LSC and HSC both by 1-2 clicks (modest tweak). This all makes sense as I fund my fork is moving through travel a lot easier after a service and still lacking some compliance over some trail chatter.

-I am already at lowest LSC, how can I go lower?
-Pikes don't have HSC so I dont know how to approach this?
-I can add a 4th token, which will be max but will this make the HSC/LSC adjustments worse?

Any thoughts on this?

I have a 2016 29" 150mm RCT3 Pike.
I am about 230-235 lbs kitted up.

Posted: Jun 28, 2017 at 14:23 Quote
Curious if you got this sorted?

I do have a couple of questions, if you haven't:

- How much sag are you running?
- When you say you're at the lowest LSC, do you mean fully open?

I would think 3 tokens would be plenty for your fork but you are a big guy so a 4th may be needed to get the ramp up at the end of the stroke. The additional token should allow you to use a lower air pressure but I think this, with the reduced air volume, would lead to an increase in LSC as opposed to decreasing it. In theory this should allow you to ride higher in the travel but still smooth out the trail chatter.

Since there is no HSC adjustment, there is nothing to concern yourself with as you can't do anything about it without a custom tune.

I am a bigger rider too, pushing 220 lbs kitted. I know we are at the outer boundaries for performance on off the shelf suspension products. I ended up custom tuning my fork to get the performance i was looking to get out of it.

Good Luck!

Posted: Jun 29, 2017 at 2:39 Quote
@papagordo

Not had a chance to revise yet...just got hold of another token.

- I didn't copy down the sag but I think the app said about 20%
- on LSC its turned all the way anti-clock so to "-" and away from "+". I think that is fully open.

I think the fork feels pretty good so I am far from complaining, just would like to make a tad smoother over the chatter.

I have a feeling I probably am at the tuning limits of the fork for my weight without a custom tune. I will probably give the 4th token/slightly lower pressure combo a go just to see if that works.

Posted: Jun 29, 2017 at 8:56 Quote
Travel66 wrote:
@papagordo

- on LSC its turned all the way anti-clock so to "-" and away from "+". I think that is fully open.

I think the fork feels pretty good so I am far from complaining, just would like to make a tad smoother over the chatter.

I have a feeling I probably am at the tuning limits of the fork for my weight without a custom tune. I will probably give the 4th token/slightly lower pressure combo a go just to see if that works.
A bit surprising that a heavy rider has too much LSC with the stock tune. Are you sure the Threshold switch is in the Open position?

Did it tell you your rebound damping is correct?

Posted: Jun 30, 2017 at 1:44 Quote
brianl wrote:
Travel66 wrote:
@papagordo

A bit surprising that a heavy rider has too much LSC with the stock tune. Are you sure the Threshold switch is in the Open position?

Did it tell you your rebound damping is correct?

Yep rebound correct
Not the first heavy guy to find LSC too high

Posted: Jun 30, 2017 at 1:58 Quote
You want it to be smooth like this?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1DwsGnzsdC8

Posted: Jun 30, 2017 at 2:34 Quote
GlennM907 wrote:

yes please, that looks frictionless!

Posted: Jun 30, 2017 at 13:04 Quote
Travel66 wrote:
GlennM907 wrote:

I had a similar problem. I went from 2 tokens on my 160mm pike, fully open on LSC and 95 psi, weighing in at 160. I always got arm pump after my races and knew the fork was too harsh, not always using full travel, if I would have went down any more air pressure I would have been over 30% sag and too deep into the fork. So I went to 3 tokens as 4 being the max and it felt way better but still had same problem minus the arm pump. 30% sag but just a few mm of travel left over. Any more psi would make it way harsher, so I saw a pic of Sam blenki cutting down a token to its half way point and thought, well heck lets give it a shot considering rockshox only has 1 token size available and fox has several. I tried it and it got rid of my problem, fork feels smooth. Also another thought to take into consideration is that there is air pressure that builds up inside the lower legs from altitude change, etc.. so now all of that extra air is being compressed with the other chamber. To fix this I simply take a zip tie and stick it into the fork seal and "burp" the air out of the lowers in both sides then compress the fork down at the same time and your fork after a few try's and releasing the excess air from the Schrader valve your fork should be fully collapsed and no excess air.

Posted: Jun 30, 2017 at 13:30 Quote
Nice idea on the tokens...

I strapped on the fork straight after it had had a service and seals change so no air problem in this case for me but your right it can be an issue

Posted: Jun 30, 2017 at 13:46 Quote
Over time air from the heat of the fork being used will build up just due to the nature of air. You will always have air inside your lowers even after you let it out, it's just how it is lol.. but reducing that amount as much as possible will make the fork way smoother and less friction. I recommend "burping" the fork once every 2 weeks depending on how much you ride. Another trick for a smoother and more small bump compliance fork is to roll the fork seal with a zip tie again in this case and to get some fork grease and get it into the head of the seal. Just a little freshen up in between services!

Posted: Jul 1, 2017 at 11:06 Quote
mountian-bikes64 wrote:
Travel66 wrote:
GlennM907 wrote:

I had a similar problem. I went from 2 tokens on my 160mm pike, fully open on LSC and 95 psi, weighing in at 160. I always got arm pump after my races and knew the fork was too harsh, not always using full travel, if I would have went down any more air pressure I would have been over 30% sag and too deep into the fork. So I went to 3 tokens as 4 being the max and it felt way better but still had same problem minus the arm pump. 30% sag but just a few mm of travel left over. Any more psi would make it way harsher, so I saw a pic of Sam blenki cutting down a token to its half way point and thought, well heck lets give it a shot considering rockshox only has 1 token size available and fox has several. I tried it and it got rid of my problem, fork feels smooth. Also another thought to take into consideration is that there is air pressure that builds up inside the lower legs from altitude change, etc.. so now all of that extra air is being compressed with the other chamber. To fix this I simply take a zip tie and stick it into the fork seal and "burp" the air out of the lowers in both sides then compress the fork down at the same time and your fork after a few try's and releasing the excess air from the Schrader valve your fork should be fully collapsed and no excess air.

I believe there's pressure stucked in your lowers. No way 160lbs requires 95psi with 2 tokens. I weight around the same with you and I runs 50-55psi with 3 tokens. Try release the air via shrader see if the fork got pulled into lower. If so release all the air, hold your front wheel down and pull the fork back up until it stays at full travel.

O+
Posted: Jul 1, 2017 at 20:27 Quote
@Travel66,

How much psi are you running? Increasing LSC should help the fork ride higher in it's travel which should allow you to lower your psi.

I am also on a 150mm Pike RCT3 29 and experimenting with a 4th token. I had a good setup with 3 tokens but too much sag. If I increased psi it would get harsh. Here is my previous and current setups. Feedback is welcome...

Weight with gear - 225-230lbs.

3 token setup
83psi
LSC - 3 clicks out from fully closed
Sag - 30%

4 token setup
80psi
LSC - 4 clicks out from fully closed
Sag - Have not been able to get accurate measurement. Feels like 25%.

Posted: Jul 1, 2017 at 22:38 Quote
chyu wrote:
mountian-bikes64 wrote:
Travel66 wrote:

I believe there's pressure stucked in your lowers. No way 160lbs requires 95psi with 2 tokens. I weight around the same with you and I runs 50-55psi with 3 tokens. Try release the air via shrader see if the fork got pulled into lower. If so release all the air, hold your front wheel down and pull the fork back up until it stays at full travel.

When you are racing almost at pro level it does

Posted: Aug 26, 2017 at 11:40 Quote
mountian-bikes64 wrote:
chyu wrote:
mountian-bikes64 wrote:

When you are racing almost at pro level it does
You are not a pro. A bro maybe.

Posted: Sep 29, 2018 at 11:53 Quote
Hi, what was your compression ratio ? One token, 0 token, 2 tokens?
Travel66 wrote:
I have used a shockwiz to check my suspension and am getting indications to add a token and to lower the LSC and HSC both by 1-2 clicks (modest tweak). This all makes sense as I fund my fork is moving through travel a lot easier after a service and still lacking some compliance over some trail chatter.

-I am already at lowest LSC, how can I go lower?
-Pikes don't have HSC so I dont know how to approach this?
-I can add a 4th token, which will be max but will this make the HSC/LSC adjustments worse?

Any thoughts on this?

I have a 2016 29" 150mm RCT3 Pike.
I am about 230-235 lbs kitted up.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.011694
Mobile Version of Website