Shimano m506 brakes

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
Shimano m506 brakes
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Jul 16, 2017 at 22:06 Quote
Hey guys,

I recently purchased a rocky mountain intinct 930 with shimano deore m506 brakes on it. They were quite good until i started riding some steeper and burlier trails. Then I quickly realised that my brakes were getting softer fast, and I couldn't figure out the problem. So I took her into the shop and the owner just replaced my brake pads, which were in perfectly good shape. I didn't think much of it at the time, but when I went to opening at our local lifted hill, which houses much steeper and burlier trails than my backyard mountain, it essentially killed my brakes. Anyone know how I can avoid this?

Thanks,

Isaac

O+
Posted: Jul 17, 2017 at 2:53 Quote
A few options of varying cost.

Free: brake less. I'm only partially joking. Allot of people drag their brakes so try lay of them and you'll get less heat in them.

Low cost: Larger rotors if you can. I don't know what you have just now but 203 front an 180mm rear is a good setup for DH riding. If you can go Shimano Ice tech and finned brake pads that will help with heat management.

Expensive option: New brakes. The Deores are a good brake but they aren't a DH brake and where they fall down is heat management. Some Zee's would be a good upgrade for DH.

Posted: Jul 17, 2017 at 5:47 Quote
Shoe2190 wrote:

Free: brake less. I'm only partially joking. Allot of people drag their brakes so try lay of them and you'll get less heat in them.

Low cost: Larger rotors if you can. I don't know what you have just now but 203 front an 180mm rear is a good setup for DH riding. If you can go Shimano Ice tech and finned brake pads that will help with heat management.

Expensive option: New brakes. The Deores are a good brake but they aren't a DH brake and where they fall down is heat management. Some Zee's would be a good upgrade for DH.

Thanks for the response.

Right now I'm running 180mm rotors on both ends so i might look into that. I also have been looking into new brakes, but the brakes I have are already pretty pricey, and a serious upgrade would cost me probably around 200$-300$.

I'm also wondering weither there's anyway to adjust the starting position of my pistons. I've been sort of looking around but I'm kind of new to bike maintenance. Since my pads were in pretty good shape I'm pretty certain my technician was just too lazy to dial in my brakes. Is there anything i can do about this?

And I'll try to brake lessBig Grin

FL
Posted: Jul 17, 2017 at 6:09 Quote
Have the brakes been bled properly?
Also make sure that your rotor and pads are clean.
I clean my rotors with isopropyl alcohol and scotch brite pad.
When you change pads you'll also need to bed them in before attempting any thing steep/gnarly otherwise you'll just glaze the pads.

Posted: Jul 17, 2017 at 20:24 Quote
DirkPitt74 wrote:
Have the brakes been bled properly?
Also make sure that your rotor and pads are clean.
I clean my rotors with isopropyl alcohol and scotch brite pad.
When you change pads you'll also need to bed them in before attempting any thing steep/gnarly otherwise you'll just glaze the pads.

My brakes have been bled properly but I'm not sure weither they've been bedded. I'll look into that.

Thanks

Posted: Jul 18, 2017 at 16:24 Quote
idlcanucks88 wrote:
Shoe2190 wrote:

Thanks for the response.

Right now I'm running 180mm rotors on both ends so i might look into that. I also have been looking into new brakes, but the brakes I have are already pretty pricey, and a serious upgrade would cost me probably around 200$-300$.

I'm also wondering weither there's anyway to adjust the starting position of my pistons. I've been sort of looking around but I'm kind of new to bike maintenance. Since my pads were in pretty good shape I'm pretty certain my technician was just too lazy to dial in my brakes. Is there anything i can do about this?

The brakes you have now are 50$ea on CRC, hardly "pricey".. jus sayin.. and you don't need to spend 200-300$

You do however, need better brakes..
The 615 works great on my DJ (65$ea) 785 (75$ea) was way too much for my DJ, had to go on my DH...

Buy new brakes..

Posted: Jul 18, 2017 at 23:50 Quote
Aaronz25RS wrote:
idlcanucks88 wrote:
Shoe2190 wrote:

Thanks for the response.

The brakes you have now are 50$ea on CRC, hardly "pricey".. jus sayin.. and you don't need to spend 200-300$

The 615 works great on my DJ (65$ea) 785 (75$ea) was way too much for my DJ, had to go on my DH...

Buy new brakes..

I'll see what cash i can scrounge up????

Posted: Jul 19, 2017 at 7:01 Quote
idlcanucks88 wrote:
Aaronz25RS wrote:
idlcanucks88 wrote:

Thanks for the response.

Buy new brakes..

I'll see what cash i can scrounge up????

Unfortunately that's the only way I personally see, around you obstacle.. you already have 180mm rotors, a 200/203 isn't going to make much difference so the only thing you have is to USE less brake (sometimes just not an option) or get better..

As mentioned above Zee brakes are the shit, but they also cost a lot..

I'm just giving examples of brakes that aren't 200-300$ so far I'm at 150 with the 785.. but again, just examples, you do what you feel is best

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.011874
Mobile Version of Website