Ard Rock Enduro 2017

• Previous Page
Posted: Jul 19, 2017 at 7:11 Quote
So...Just wondering if many PB members are racign in the Ard Rock Enduro this year? Not long to go now if so!

I'm popping my cherry this year and am struggling for tyre choice. Upfront, i'm sorted...Gonna run my Magic mary.

I have purchased a Super gravity Rock Razor and used it a few times now, but cant get on with it at all. Furthermore its a risky tyre choice if it rains.

What are others planning on using? Im think Hans Dampf Supe Gravity pace star....29er flavour.

Posted: Jul 19, 2017 at 7:31 Quote
Russyh wrote:
So...Just wondering if many PB members are racign in the Ard Rock Enduro this year? Not long to go now if so!

I'm popping my cherry this year and am struggling for tyre choice. Upfront, i'm sorted...Gonna run my Magic mary.

I have purchased a Super gravity Rock Razor and used it a few times now, but cant get on with it at all. Furthermore its a risky tyre choice if it rains.

What are others planning on using? Im think Hans Dampf Supe Gravity pace star....29er flavour.
dont overthink it mate,get something with sidewall protection,preferably tubeless,or plenty of sparetubes and go enjoy yourself,your kegs and lungs will be your main concern,not your tyres.good luck and enjoy it's a great event.

Posted: Jul 19, 2017 at 7:58 Quote
I plan too cheers dude. I'm pretty comfortable with the distance and elevation to be honest. I ride in the Forest of Dean 90% of the time, so rocks are rare and our tyre choice is more about the slop and loam then rock...I am guessing a Super Gravity Hans Damp would be OK? Albeit i don't really like the idea of lugging the sidewalls around if not needed.

Posted: Jul 19, 2017 at 8:06 Quote
First year for me as well. More bothered about fitness than anything but have been hammering a turbo for a while now so hopefully will be ok. On a new bike as well, tyres are a magic mary upfront and a maxxis aggressor on the back both tubeless normal sidewalls didn't feel the need for double down or super gravity sidewalls. Going to take at least 2 tubes and a repair kit riding with a couple of mates on the sunday so between us should hopefully be good for puntures

Posted: Jul 19, 2017 at 8:39 Quote
A lot of the sections when I rode it was through razor sharp slate and stone,lots of shredded tyres.Although the sections change year on year so you might get lucky

FL
Posted: Jul 19, 2017 at 8:49 Quote
i did the ard rock past 2 years and ran super gravity rock razor rear and magic mary exo up front on my spesh enduro 29. Never had a puncture in 2 years but a bit more pressure in the back never hurts.
It's definitley worth lugging the extra weight in the sidewalls around as its brutal terrain, always 5-10 people fixing punctures all the time at the end of the stages.

last thing you want is a puncture on your race run for the sake of 200 Grams

Posted: Jul 19, 2017 at 9:08 Quote
Thats good im on the right track then! I used to love my Rock Razor but cant seem to get on with the super gravity variant. What sort of pressures are people running? The side all is so thick i ran it quite low, but found it became unpredictable. Raising the pressure helped. But only to a point. THink im goign to order a Hans Dampf....

FL
Posted: Jul 19, 2017 at 14:14 Quote
Not doing it this year but have done it the past 2. Run super gravity magic mary up front and hans dampf on the back. Some bits can be rather wet so I think a tyre with tread on the back is defiantly worth running. Super gravity I reckon was worth it considering how loose and rocky it is.

Posted: Jul 20, 2017 at 5:14 Quote
Sounds like I should have gone for the double down casing on the maxxis now haha. Anyone have any other tips for a first timer?

Posted: Jul 20, 2017 at 5:34 Quote
quickhips wrote:
Sounds like I should have gone for the double down casing on the maxxis now haha. Anyone have any other tips for a first timer?

Yeah get your feeding annd hydration sorted, if your doing the full event its a long day

FL
Posted: Jul 20, 2017 at 6:16 Quote
I agree with the food and water, last year it was scorchio. I went through 5 liters of water and burnt to crisp!!!

Posted: Jul 20, 2017 at 6:33 Quote
Right ok, got a 3 litre hydration pack, going to be taking plenty of gells and food. Are there any feed stations along the way or is it just cram as much as you can in to your bag and go for it?

Posted: Jul 20, 2017 at 7:57 Quote
quickhips wrote:
Right ok, got a 3 litre hydration pack, going to be taking plenty of gells and food. Are there any feed stations along the way or is it just cram as much as you can in to your bag and go for it?

One Cliff flapjack bar area stage 4 and some water. Plenty of good streams about. I didn't use gels took proper food, worked for me.

Posted: Jul 21, 2017 at 4:07 Quote
What level of support does the Sram truck offer... I need to have a brake bleed and wonder if they will do it free or pay local shop to sort next week
Also what sort of tyre pressure in tubeless 27.5s

Posted: Jul 21, 2017 at 7:12 Quote
andyrmerrett wrote:
What level of support does the Sram truck offer... I need to have a brake bleed and wonder if they will do it free or pay local shop to sort next week
Also what sort of tyre pressure in tubeless 27.5s

They do all the normal work at trade rates too, but they are mega busy. I got a full reverb service plus new bits for £40 last year. I couldn't buy the kit for that

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.509180
Mobile Version of Website