Riding Whistler During Crankworx?

PB Forum :: Canada - West
Riding Whistler During Crankworx?
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Aug 2, 2017 at 10:25 Quote
Hi everyone, I'm a relative Whistler newbie trying to schedule a second trip up there this summer/fall. Best weekend for me is August 19-20, but I'm not interested in racing or watching Crankworx events.

For those of you who have been there during Crankworx, would it be silly for someone to head up there with the goal of simply riding that weekend? Worried about crowds, closures for races, etc. TIA!

Posted: Aug 2, 2017 at 11:17 Quote
KSheridan wrote:
Hi everyone, I'm a relative Whistler newbie trying to schedule a second trip up there this summer/fall. Best weekend for me is August 19-20, but I'm not interested in racing or watching Crankworx events.

For those of you who have been there during Crankworx, would it be silly for someone to head up there with the goal of simply riding that weekend? Worried about crowds, closures for races, etc. TIA!

It's crowded for sure.

Last time I tried to ride during crankworks I did three laps then I got fed up waiting over an hour in line for each lap and gave up riding and switched to drinking beer and watching the events.

O+ FL
Posted: Aug 2, 2017 at 16:09 Quote
I was there the second Thurs-Sunday last year (same weekend you are talking about) and it wasn't that bad most of the time. Actually got a ton of laps in on the Sunday after Joyride as a lot of people are either drinking or just pack it in to go home (traffic was awful that night). Saturday is the Canadian Open DH so Fitz chair is busy with racers, staff and spectators, but Garbo is dead.

Crowds are more of a problem for parking, restaurants and highway traffic than riding. I actually found Thurs/Fri busier in the bike park than Sat/Sun.30-40 minute waits for Fitz those days.

As always, just stay in Garbo when it's packed down low. Park and upload at Creekside if you can.

Posted: Aug 4, 2017 at 11:33 Quote
Thanks for the replies, and the advice! I may end up making the trip after all... cheers

Posted: Aug 5, 2017 at 17:47 Quote
Free parking in Creekside to avoid the crowds. I have found riding during Crankworx has it's good & bad times. Sometimes it's direct to lift, no waiting. Sometimes lined up. I think alot of the locals stay away.

O+ FL
Posted: Aug 9, 2017 at 12:21 Quote
Nonsmoker wrote:
Free parking in Creekside to avoid the crowds. I have found riding during Crankworx has it's good & bad times. Sometimes it's direct to lift, no waiting. Sometimes lined up. I think alot of the locals stay away.

Creekside is awesome but be aware Dusty's DH is in absolutely horrific shape at the moment.. 10 minutes straight of brake bumps/holes, loose rock, dusty blown up corners etc. BC's Trail is more enjoyable but a physical full on ride as it is also pretty punched. I honestly consider downloading if I am back at the top station by 5pm and it has been a full day of riding.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.009755
Mobile Version of Website