Wheelsets bang for the buck

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
Wheelsets bang for the buck
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Aug 7, 2017 at 10:33 Quote
I am fairly new to tinkering with bikes (as opposed to buy it, ride it). Wheelsets are overwhelming. I deal with mechanical devices every day at work and believe there are a couple of key price price points.

1) Do not purchase below "X" dollar amount
2)Above "Y" gets you really nice features such as.....
3)The difference between price "A" and price "B" will not be noticed by most riders.

I want to upgrade my wheels. I don't need super high end but I want nice. I have no clue where to even start looking or what to budget???? I typically ride all mountain 29". One bike to do it all. Right now I ride a Canfield Nimble 9.

Thanks

Posted: Aug 7, 2017 at 11:59 Quote
Jr1776 wrote:
I am fairly new to tinkering with bikes (as opposed to buy it, ride it). Wheelsets are overwhelming. I deal with mechanical devices every day at work and believe there are a couple of key price price points.

1) Do not purchase below "X" dollar amount
2)Above "Y" gets you really nice features such as.....
3)The difference between price "A" and price "B" will not be noticed by most riders.

I want to upgrade my wheels. I don't need super high end but I want nice. I have no clue where to even start looking or what to budget???? I typically ride all mountain 29". One bike to do it all. Right now I ride a Canfield Nimble 9.

Thanks

Tough question - "Nice" is subjective depending on who you ask. I guess the bigger question is - what are your goals for the wheelset?

I'd probably start with Stan's MK3 wheels and poke around their website to see what you need (i.e. Crest, Arch, Flow, etc...)

Carbon wheels are "nice", I've seen guys run them from trail to downhill bikes, however I wouldn't want to run them on a bike that I would be beating on, just because I've seen the way I've ding'ed up my wheels at the park. Everyone is different though, lots of people love the feel.

Pre-built Industry nine wheels are also nice, more so because of the bling, straight pulled spokes, and high engagement hub. However, this is on my "trail bike" and not needed on the park bike. The engagements are nice to have since my Nomad has a low BB.

Posted: Aug 7, 2017 at 12:42 Quote
Can't answer without knowing - why do you want new wheels? What does "nice" mean to you?

Most people get new wheels that are:
- lighter
- stronger
- wider
(or a combination) than current wheels.

It's often possible to get nice wheels (with the features you want) "below X dollar amount" if you find the right deal at the right time, rather than settling for "low budget" with a lot of compromise (cheap hubs or heavy or )

Posted: Aug 7, 2017 at 12:49 Quote
First thing that comes to mind when you say "bang for your buck" and "all mountain" would be Stan's Flows laced to either Hope Pro or DT350 hubs. Hope is loud, DT is not, both are good. If you ride predominantly smooth trail, look at the Arch hoops instead of the Flows.

Posted: Aug 7, 2017 at 13:24 Quote
Why,

I want tubeless compatible (currently set up getto). My current set up is......lacking
I want wider rims.
I have a wheel with damage and need to replace it---if i am going to replace it I should upgrade (currently Easton but I don't remember what model)

Nice is a good quality wheel set that is better than most but not the best or most bling. I don't need, nor cant afford Chris Kings with NOX Composits rims, although I would love to have those.

Posted: Aug 8, 2017 at 5:02 Quote
WTB 29" Frequency rims i25 or i29 + DT swiss 350. Should be around 500$, bulletproof combo which wont break the bank. Or maybe Hope wheelset, simmilar stuff.

Posted: Aug 8, 2017 at 6:33 Quote
TugboatComplex wrote:
First thing that comes to mind when you say "bang for your buck" and "all mountain" would be Stan's Flows laced to either Hope Pro or DT350 hubs. Hope is loud, DT is not, both are good. If you ride predominantly smooth trail, look at the Arch hoops instead of the Flows.

I second this. MK3 Flows are a little wider (internal 29mm vs. 26mm) than MK3 Arch rims.

Posted: Aug 8, 2017 at 9:27 Quote
onyxss wrote:
WTB 29" Frequency rims i25 or i29 + DT swiss 350. Should be around 500$, bulletproof combo which wont break the bank. Or maybe Hope wheelset, simmilar stuff.

Frequency or ASYM? the i29 designation is on the ASYM (or I could be missing something that is standard nomenclature that I don't know).

I like the quiet hubs but those Hope Purples are tempting.......

Thanks

Posted: Aug 8, 2017 at 10:01 Quote
Action619 wrote:
TugboatComplex wrote:

I second this. MK3 Flows are a little wider (internal 29mm vs. 26mm) than MK3 Arch rims.

I will look into the Stans.

Thanks

O+
Posted: Aug 8, 2017 at 22:46 Quote
Jr1776 wrote:
onyxss wrote:

Frequency or ASYM? the i29 designation is on the ASYM (or I could be missing something that is standard nomenclature that I don't know).

I like the quiet hubs but those Hope Purples are tempting.......

Thanks

You can get the Frequency rims as i29 in 29" now iirc. Both the frequency and asym rims are pretty nice though.

As far as pricing most places you look, 500 gets you some really great bang for your buck, but if you are buying from your lbs it's going to cost more. Unfortunate side effect from weak manufacturer support for price regulation so there are lots of places that sell parts online for nearly the wholesale cost.

Anyway, I've had best luck with stans, wtb, and Easton (now raceface branded) rims so far. Probably will always stick with those.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.033069
Mobile Version of Website