Making Kickers/Jumps in Really Dry Conditions?

PB Forum :: Downhill
Making Kickers/Jumps in Really Dry Conditions?
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Oct 22, 2017 at 12:03 Quote
So I just recently got myself a new bike, 2018 Cannondale Jekyll al 4, ( I know it isn't a DH bike, don't crucify me), and I live in so-cal and most trails I ride are not MTB purpose or they are downhill hiking trails. But there are some empty dirt fields that have few plants, that could be used for some cool jumps. The only problem is I can't get water to the place to pack dirt and if I did it would be ineffective and a waste of time. I don't plan on making huge slopestyle jumps or MX type kickers, just lips to send me off drops or some 2 foot kickers to get me into a landing. The only problem is hardening the dirt (the soil isn't sand but it is really dry) so are there any tips to hardening the dirt or stuff I can put on the surface. The materials in the area are dirt, small twigs, rocks (big and small), and very few pieces of broken plywood/ other random materials.

Posted: Nov 3, 2017 at 10:23 Quote
Borgnar wrote:
So I just recently got myself a new bike, 2018 Cannondale Jekyll al 4, ( I know it isn't a DH bike, don't crucify me), and I live in so-cal and most trails I ride are not MTB purpose or they are downhill hiking trails. But there are some empty dirt fields that have few plants, that could be used for some cool jumps. The only problem is I can't get water to the place to pack dirt and if I did it would be ineffective and a waste of time. I don't plan on making huge slopestyle jumps or MX type kickers, just lips to send me off drops or some 2 foot kickers to get me into a landing. The only problem is hardening the dirt (the soil isn't sand but it is really dry) so are there any tips to hardening the dirt or stuff I can put on the surface. The materials in the area are dirt, small twigs, rocks (big and small), and very few pieces of broken plywood/ other random materials.
im in the same boat living in the dry socal, but regarding digging, id just wait until some rain and go to trails that already have features, but if that is out of the question, then take said rocks, pile them into a lip shape and put a layer of dirt on top of that, itll be sort of hard packed but nothing comes close to actual packing with water, and same with the jeykll, love that bike Wink DO NOT MAKE SUPER DRY PACKED LANDINGS because if if the dirt where you are is the same here no matter how hard you pack the dry stuff it stays loose and tire will just sink in, going back to waiting for the rain gods to shed some water.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.008301
Mobile Version of Website