Tire size for dirt jumping?

PB Forum :: Dirt Jumping & Street
Tire size for dirt jumping?
  • Previous Page
Posted: Oct 26, 2017 at 23:29 Quote
What size are you single speed dirt jump guys running?

O+ FL
Posted: Oct 27, 2017 at 7:41 Quote
2.25 schwalbe table tops on my dj. i have 2.4 maxxis griffins on my slopestyle/play bike (that bike sees dh park use).

Posted: Oct 27, 2017 at 8:10 Quote
byrd-dog wrote:
What size are you single speed dirt jump guys running?

Too broad of a question. So many factors dictate an accurate answer. Style of bike,rider,trail,dirt/street..etc.
That being said, most of my DJ bikes are used on mostly fast hardpack dirt. So I've been running Maxxis DTH 2.1

I also ran the fatter 2.3s for a minute but decided I liked the faster transitioning 2.1 better....but that's just me and my favorite trail. Another local trail is more sandy/loose and they suck there Frown

Posted: Oct 27, 2017 at 8:14 Quote
adrennan wrote:
2.25 schwalbe table tops on my dj. i have 2.4 maxxis griffins on my slopestyle/play bike (that bike sees dh park use).

Tabletops grip like a boss.....but chewed up our jump line berms to much. That's when I first tried out the DTHs
Here in SoCal our DJ, Pumptrack trails stay so dry it's hard to keep them packed well when folks are running more knobby pattern tires.

Posted: Oct 27, 2017 at 14:51 Quote
I use small block 8 2.2s fairly small tire compared to some coming from bmx don't want to add any more rotational weight then needed I feel like it makes for easier tail whips

Posted: Oct 28, 2017 at 19:28 Quote
2.25 tabletops on the DJ.. DTH 2.35 on the street

Posted: Oct 30, 2017 at 8:13 Quote
I'm fat. I opt for tire volume vs aggressive tread. That said, I've been running 2.5" hookworms for dirt and light street. Anything under 2.3 doesn't suit me that well.

A lot of people say they are heavy, or that they don't have grip, but I've had a lot of fun with them. I don't typically ride when it's wet either.

photo

photo

Posted: Oct 30, 2017 at 9:02 Quote
Hookworms rock, but they're heavy AF..

O+ FL
Posted: Oct 30, 2017 at 9:20 Quote
Aaronz25RS wrote:

how well do hookworms handle thorns and such... my tabletops may as well be tissue paper when it comes to preventing thorns poking holes in my tubes.

Posted: Oct 30, 2017 at 9:47 Quote
adrennan wrote:
Aaronz25RS wrote:

how well do hookworms handle thorns and such... my tabletops may as well be tissue paper when it comes to preventing thorns poking holes in my tubes.

Great agaisnt thorns! They are super thick naturally that means they are heavy though. Lifes all about trades.

Posted: Oct 30, 2017 at 12:25 Quote
The only way you are getting a flat is if you pack broken glass in the tire before you put it on and bmx through a cactus field. They are made for urban assault.

O+ FL
Posted: Oct 30, 2017 at 12:43 Quote
Meeners wrote:
The only way you are getting a flat is if you pack broken glass in the tire before you put it on and bmx through a cactus field. They are made for urban assault.

sounds like what i need then haha this is going on my urban/skatepark play bike so i dont need all the traction in the world.

Posted: Oct 30, 2017 at 16:03 Quote
I want to try the vans waffle tires, but I also run dth, or ikon frt if I need more

Posted: Aug 30, 2018 at 9:14 Quote
Now I rock 2.8's at max PSI lol

photo

photo

photo

Posted: Aug 30, 2018 at 9:21 Quote
2.3 DTHs for hardpack/dusty dirtjumps and several miles of Bronx commuting.

I do rock fatass hookworms on my ACTUAL commuter bike and they do really well against all the crazy shit out here in the street, and you can monster truck over curbs, construction materials, potholes, and crackheads with ease.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.023698
Mobile Version of Website