PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
Crazy braking idea, but it is possible.
Posted: Feb 17, 2008 at 13:05 Quote
PedalUpBombDown wrote:
slopestylejunkie wrote:
sherbet wrote:

Did you read the first few pages?

haha no Beer
i'll give you the short version. it was decided that it would be a bad idea because once the wheel locks for ABS to kick in, you would wash out and fall. it would also be heavy and expensive and riders should learn how to modulate on their own.

okey, I get that.

Posted: Feb 17, 2008 at 13:05 Quote
i don't know if it's been done, but it would be REALLY expensive to buy/make

Posted: Feb 17, 2008 at 13:09 Quote
PedalUpBombDown wrote:
DaveyLC wrote:
What im trying to say is.. ABS is designed to stop your wheel from going into a skid and that is really rare on a bike unless conditions are really bad, and in that instance ABS will just unsettle the bike and make you crash anyway.
ABS does not prevent your wheel from locking. the way ABS works is when the wheel locks, ABS kicks in and lets up on the brakes which lets the wheel roll, the brakes then lock the wheel again and ABS lets it roll again. all ABS does is makes the wheel lock, un-lock, lock, un-lock.

Depends on the system.. Electronic ABS detects speed differences across all wheels and adjusts the braking forces to suit.. Full mechanical systems wait for a lock up which causes the flow of fluid to be stoped then as the wheel rotates again the flow is restored, causes the slave cylinder to judder like a mofo though.

Posted: Feb 17, 2008 at 14:22 Quote
Ganyay81 wrote:

Who was bragging? I was simply saying that "regular" XC is pushing the limits of your bike. Also "regular" XC is usually put side-by-side with racing XC. If you're racing to win, would you like to strap a 2 tonne weight to your bike? No, 'cause it slows you down.

As for his abilities, most people here are younger kids who do downhill and freeride all the time. Their bodies are conditioned to be thrown and around and to throw around. They need short-term strength to do that well. In other words, fast-twitch muscles. In endurance cycling (XC) that's the last thing you want are fast-twitch muscles because they're used for anaerobic activity. They burn a lot of calories fast. You want slow-twitch muscles for endurance cycling because they're efficient at burning calories, and can keep going for a long time.

There's also the factor of nutrition, stretching, building a base, intensity training, dealing with weather, maintenance, health, you name it.

I wasn't stating that I'm better than him. I was simply stating that "proper" XC and "AM" are two different things. Also, that XC isn't just riding around fire roads on a road bike. I was defending the term XC because it's what I do, and too many people shoot it down without even taking a good look (or ride) at it.

If you didn't read on later, we chilled the discussion. If he, or anyone else wants to do a 24hr race, more power to 'em! I had no idea that he didn't want to try XC racing. He originally sounded like an XC basher (no offense madmike), but it's obvious now that he isn't.

You're just being more of an ass than I ever was my insulting me like that and putting words in my mouth I didn't say. We ended this argument, and now you're just being a child by bringing it back up.

How about you get lost and go blow a dead goat. We don't need your dumb, small vocabulary of insults on the forum. We were having a real gentleman's conversation until you came onto it.

Woah there you go again, talking to me as if I don't know anything about the human body. Treating me as if i've never done anything along the lines of muscle fibres. It's like a revision lesson that was.

Ok, this one makes me chuckle
bigquotesHow about you get lost and go blow a dead goat.
this followed

bigquotese were having a real gentleman's conversation until you came onto it

I can understand that you are able to talk like a gentleman

bigquotesWe don't need your dumb, small vocabulary of insults on the forum

I suppose telling me to "blow a dead got" in your exact words, which no i did not force feed into your mouth is an acceptable insult for this forum. I suppose me saying that your nan whom is homosexual also dead who violated a excessively large minotaur whilst you watched also enjoyed the occasional fellatio of a mountain goat. Would also be deemed acceptable? I believe so too, thanks I'll use that one in the future.

Posted: Feb 17, 2008 at 14:44 Quote
just biked 42 km/h, queezed front break as hard a possible with 3 fingers, and got the front tire to lock up and skid, tahts abuot it. besides stoping in like 10 feet

Posted: Feb 17, 2008 at 14:50 Quote
DaveyLC wrote:
PedalUpBombDown wrote:
DaveyLC wrote:
What im trying to say is.. ABS is designed to stop your wheel from going into a skid and that is really rare on a bike unless conditions are really bad, and in that instance ABS will just unsettle the bike and make you crash anyway.
ABS does not prevent your wheel from locking. the way ABS works is when the wheel locks, ABS kicks in and lets up on the brakes which lets the wheel roll, the brakes then lock the wheel again and ABS lets it roll again. all ABS does is makes the wheel lock, un-lock, lock, un-lock.

Depends on the system.. Electronic ABS detects speed differences across all wheels and adjusts the braking forces to suit.. Full mechanical systems wait for a lock up which causes the flow of fluid to be stoped then as the wheel rotates again the flow is restored, causes the slave cylinder to judder like a mofo though.

Isn't that style of ABS called STM - Stability Control Management? Correct me if I'm wrong.

Posted: Feb 17, 2008 at 14:55 Quote
sherbet wrote:
DaveyLC wrote:
Your wheel isnt locked though, its still rolling Smile yes the brake is stuck to the rim but ABS is the subject and ABS is about preventing skid..

I don't think you're getting what I'm saying. I CAN lock it. I HAVE locked it. It CAN be locked. End of discussion.

I think you two were arguing at odds here. You're both right, if you look at it from different perspectives.

If you're looking at it from the bike, then yes, the wheel is locked. The wheels isn't rolling on it's axle, so from what the rider sees, the wheel is locked.

On the other hand, you're technically still moving forward, and the wheels is still rolling over the ground, so if you look at the from the grounds perspective, the wheel hasn't locked.

Just my 2 cents.

Posted: Feb 17, 2008 at 14:55 Quote
princeofthenorth wrote:
just biked 42 km/h, queezed front break as hard a possible with 3 fingers, and got the front tire to lock up and skid, tahts abuot it. besides stoping in like 10 feet

Skidding on the front wheel, sketchiest feeling ever.

Posted: Feb 17, 2008 at 14:56 Quote
only a bit tho, like half a foot at the end

Posted: Feb 17, 2008 at 15:14 Quote
Ganyay81 wrote:
sherbet wrote:
DaveyLC wrote:
Your wheel isnt locked though, its still rolling Smile yes the brake is stuck to the rim but ABS is the subject and ABS is about preventing skid..

I don't think you're getting what I'm saying. I CAN lock it. I HAVE locked it. It CAN be locked. End of discussion.

I think you two were arguing at odds here. You're both right, if you look at it from different perspectives.

If you're looking at it from the bike, then yes, the wheel is locked. The wheels isn't rolling on it's axle, so from what the rider sees, the wheel is locked.

On the other hand, you're technically still moving forward, and the wheels is still rolling over the ground, so if you look at the from the grounds perspective, the wheel hasn't locked.

Just my 2 cents.

Though I also said I can make it skid.

Posted: Feb 17, 2008 at 17:17 Quote
sherbet wrote:
Ganyay81 wrote:
sherbet wrote:

Just my 2 cents.

Though I also said I can make it skid.

My bad.

Posted: Feb 18, 2008 at 0:51 Quote
Ganyay81 wrote:
Isn't that style of ABS called STM - Stability Control Management? Correct me if I'm wrong.

Still just plain old ABS... Most modern electronic ABS systems use a impulse sensor on each wheel to measure the relative speed and will prevent any kind of skid occuring.. Old school electrical systems wait for nil wheel speed and the mechanical systems do the same but they are nigh on useless and very dangerous if they fail.

Posted: Feb 18, 2008 at 15:47 Quote
Jumping in way too late. I apologise to Ganyay81 for causing the argument. My views on XC are my own and I see Cross Country as totally different to XC Racing.

Also my views on the ABS system are already posted.

Posted: Feb 18, 2008 at 15:48 Quote
Yes... i want ABS pulsing as i use the front brake... which is attached to my 8 inch fork.

Jackhammer anyone?

Posted: Feb 18, 2008 at 16:57 Quote
I'm glad to see that your brain is active in an engineering way. There is a prior post that makes sense, "why not learn to modulate your brakes like everyone else" makes a lot of sense( I don't think the guy was trying to be rude). To take it a step further, people should use their front brakes more. Using your front brakes is so important, just ask all the pro-down hillers how important it is. If you do it right, you'll learn when to do it without washing out the front tire. Like braking hard front only on the straights, and feathering in the turns if needed. This actually is the fast rule for both rear and front. The bottom issue being, your brain connected to the reflexes in your lever fingers can make a way more efficient ABS system than a mechanical one, and it doesn't add any weight too.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.016990
Mobile Version of Website