Tubeless Downhill

PB Forum :: Downhill
Tubeless Downhill
  • Previous Page
Posted: Dec 2, 2017 at 20:35 Quote
Should I run Tubeless on my DH Bike For Racing?

Posted: Dec 4, 2017 at 6:02 Quote
Yes. And it would be even better if you could use some rim protection system

O+
Posted: Dec 8, 2017 at 9:34 Quote
And if you're not racing, but just ride local DH trails or bike parks?

Posted: Dec 14, 2017 at 6:57 Quote
JRavoth wrote:
Should I run Tubeless on my DH Bike For Racing?

Hey Jesse

Tubeless literally has no disadvantages

Posted: Dec 14, 2017 at 10:27 Quote
I personally don't see the big deal with tubeless or dropper posts!

Posted: Dec 14, 2017 at 12:19 Quote
slope wrote:

No more snake bite flates and wen u have a small puncture it seals up and u can keep riding. The pressure can be dropped a little more but this is more a personal thing

Posted: Dec 14, 2017 at 16:45 Quote
slope wrote:

This is the DH forum so I agree- no one requires a dropper post for DH Razz

However, you have valid points; if you never get punctures with tubes and you feel your riding isn't limited by tyre grip then indeed, why would you incur additional expense to switch to tubeless.

It comes down to the terrain you ride, the speed you are going and, in the case of droppers, whether you are racing enduro.

Lets deal with the dropper first- my mate is an old school xc racer- he likes his post high and uses his thighs to guide the saddle to help steer. On steeper routes, you can see he is often coming down with the rear wheel in the air- he enjoys this and it doesn't faze him. However, he wont do routes that are too steep and has also conceded that having a dropper post has helped him downhill as tracks have got more technical- we convinced him to get one but he will still only drop it 20mm at max lol.

For me, I've only been riding a bike for 3yrs so I can't ride with a high seat post- I've only ever known being able to get it out of the way and I don't like my saddle touching me at all on descents.

In a race, where you may drop into a 25 degree decent, followed by a 0 degree traverse, 10 degree climb then 60 degree descent I feel the dropper post is invaluable. Likewise, if you are out with XC guys who just want to keep pedalling and don't want to stop while you adjust your post manually it's really useful if you have a style whereby you need to adjust saddle height like me.

On tubeless- being able to run lower pressures for routes with a real technical mix of roots/ rocks and mud really helps with grip over those varied surfaces. We have a few places here that are notorious for pinch flats due to the terrain so tubeless makes a real difference.

At the end of the day, these things are really personal and I feel you need to try both and experience it and then make a decision yourself based on all your riding factors. If you are racing and get from the start line to the finish line in the fastest time it doesn't matter whether you are tubeless or running a dropper post.- it might make a good secondary story but most people will just remember you won.

For me, I wouldn't not run tubeless or be without a dropper. I started without both and sometimes I've had to accept the opposite for technical reasons (like denting my rim in the dark because a rock jumped into it out of nowhere ..;-p) but I've reverted back as soon as I could.

Posted: Dec 19, 2017 at 11:18 Quote
I see loads of tyres that are labelled wire bead or DH casing and I have no idea if they will work tubelss or not. For example I have some specialized storms DH and I've just chucked one on a rim tubeless and it inflated fine but is going down slowly and getting soft, not like from a bad fit but maybe from the non tubeless sidewall etc?
So I'm after some mud tyres for next race season and I see Storms or Wet Screams or even Shortys that all say DH casing, wire bead, 2ply or something like that and I'm dubious about getting them as I don't know if they'll run tubeless. I bought a couple of pairs of the new addix magic marys last year in downhill version and had to send them back for super gravity instead. Pain in the ass.

So who runs what for racing and mud? Do you go tubeless or run some sort of procore or something?

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.013324
Mobile Version of Website