Well damn. Compound Tib/Fib Fracture, Tib Fracture Below Knee, and dislocated and fractured elbow

PB Forum :: Fitness, Training and Health
Well damn. Compound Tib/Fib Fracture, Tib Fracture Below Knee, and dislocated and fractured elbow
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Dec 4, 2017 at 6:05 Quote
I was either going to Highlands Off-road Park in Cedartown GA on 11/18/17 or to Chewacla State Park to MTB. My wife insisted I go MTB so I could help get ready for Thanksgiving by lunch. I went to ride around 8 am and made a poor decision at 10am that’s going to cost me 6+ months of rehab and a couple months in a wheel chair.

I decided to ride the “Chain Bridge” at the park that I’ve cleaned many times. It is a raised wooden feature over rocks with a heavy duty chain with 2x6’s that forms a flexible bridge across a 20’ span.

I decided after some hesitation to give it a go even though I was by myself (stupid). When I went up the clockwise access ramp I got off kilter taking the left turn around the tree and dropped onto the bridge. When I did the bridge moved a bit and I was fixing to go off. I bailed off the left side and when I did my left leg immediately broke tib/fib above ankle.

I screamed for help for a minute or two to realize I needed to get my phone to call for help. My bike was a foot or two below my feet. I tried to reach for it with my left arm and it just flopped. I didn’t realize it was injured until this point. I managed to flop my arm and leg a foot or so until I could grab the saddle with my big toe and pull in over me to access my phone. I knew i shouldn't be moving my leg while it was dangling, but i felt like i had no choice. I called 911 and got Fire and EMT’s on the way. I was a couple miles away from any State Park roads. I texted a friend that lives behind the park but would be closer access. He was first on scene after about 20-30 minutes. He guided the FD and ambulance to his house. They took their time getting my arm and leg stabilized. My leg was bleeding where the bone went through but it was not too heavy fortunately. They strapped me to a back board and carried me ~500 yards to the ambulance. I weight 250 lbs so that is no small task. The whole process from fall to ambulance was about 1.5 hours.

I lucked up with one of the better orthopedic surgeons being on call for that Saturday. He identified that I had compound fracture above ankle and a fracture just below the knee on the tib. Due to this they could not install a rod like normal and had to piece everything together with plates and screws.

I’m looking at ~10-12 weeks before I can put weight on my left leg and about 8 weeks before I can straighten my elbow. I’m getting better day-by-day but it was a frustrating accident. Rocks vs bone is not a good situation to be in and riding obstacles by myself was a mistake. The wife has been such a help and supportive. Also none of my bikes or motorcycles have been required to sell.:P

photo
photo
photo
[YT=https://youtu.be/tYzMBk4ivE4]

Posted: Dec 4, 2017 at 7:49 Quote
turtle353 wrote:
I was either going to Highlands Off-road Park in Cedartown GA on 11/18/17 or to Chewacla State Park to MTB. My wife insisted I go MTB so I could help get ready for Thanksgiving by lunch. I went to ride around 8 am and made a poor decision at 10am that’s going to cost me 6+ months of rehab and a couple months in a wheel chair.

I decided to ride the “Chain Bridge” at the park that I’ve cleaned many times. It is a raised wooden feature over rocks with a heavy duty chain with 2x6’s that forms a flexible bridge across a 20’ span.

I decided after some hesitation to give it a go even though I was by myself (stupid). When I went up the clockwise access ramp I got off kilter taking the left turn around the tree and dropped onto the bridge. When I did the bridge moved a bit and I was fixing to go off. I bailed off the left side and when I did my left leg immediately broke tib/fib above ankle.

I screamed for help for a minute or two to realize I needed to get my phone to call for help. My bike was a foot or two below my feet. I tried to reach for it with my left arm and it just flopped. I didn’t realize it was injured until this point. I managed to flop my arm and leg a foot or so until I could grab the saddle with my big toe and pull in over me to access my phone. I knew i shouldn't be moving my leg while it was dangling, but i felt like i had no choice. I called 911 and got Fire and EMT’s on the way. I was a couple miles away from any State Park roads. I texted a friend that lives behind the park but would be closer access. He was first on scene after about 20-30 minutes. He guided the FD and ambulance to his house. They took their time getting my arm and leg stabilized. My leg was bleeding where the bone went through but it was not too heavy fortunately. They strapped me to a back board and carried me ~500 yards to the ambulance. I weight 250 lbs so that is no small task. The whole process from fall to ambulance was about 1.5 hours.

I lucked up with one of the better orthopedic surgeons being on call for that Saturday. He identified that I had compound fracture above ankle and a fracture just below the knee on the tib. Due to this they could not install a rod like normal and had to piece everything together with plates and screws.

I’m looking at ~10-12 weeks before I can put weight on my left leg and about 8 weeks before I can straighten my elbow. I’m getting better day-by-day but it was a frustrating accident. Rocks vs bone is not a good situation to be in and riding obstacles by myself was a mistake. The wife has been such a help and supportive. Also none of my bikes or motorcycles have been required to sell.:P

photo
photo
photo
[YT=https://youtu.be/tYzMBk4ivE4]

Get well soon mate. Glad to see you had your priorities in order and made sure someone got some pics lol!!

Posted: Dec 5, 2017 at 4:56 Quote
Wow healing vibes to you!

Had spiral fractures of Tib & Fib back in July 2016, plated and pinned but was very lucky to need a removable cast (wound was a bit messy for a while) so I could start VERY small physio from week 3.

All I can say is get in with a physio ASAP and treat it like a religion.

I was back for a gentle MTB ride after 12 weeks to the exact hour I broke my leg but even now I work on my ankle strength etc.

Eat as much natural food as you can and imagine those bones healing ;-)

A supportive wife will make a huge difference - good luck

Posted: Dec 5, 2017 at 8:18 Quote
Thanks. I am feeling much better after just 2.5 weeks. I am also in a removal cast on both elbow and leg. I have been eating well and much less than normal because even though I'm a big guy I was very active. I can't quite burn as many calories in a wheel chair but I still get 30 plus minutes of exercise/rolling and hit all my roll goals during the day. The pain has reduced drastically and i'm doing 200 thigh raises a day with my boot to try and keep from losing everything. Also, I clasp my hands and raise my arms over my head and try to stretch/flex muscles that don't cause any pain. My swelling has gone down to the point i can slightly point my foot and almost straighten my leg but that hurts a bit so i don't push it. I'm hard headed and hate being bound so my biggest struggle will be taking it slow.

Posted: Dec 6, 2017 at 2:21 Quote
Sounds positive :-)

The hard headedness will pay off at times, but focus on the end goal, you won't get the right results by rushing.

Learning to walk again is fun, so weird I had to learn again funny when you don't think about it day to day.

Actually the one mistake I made was maybe not being dynamic enough in my leg after I recovered, maybe due to some residual pain. I've started skipping and doing jumping jacks and whilst it hurt my shin to start I'm already able to be more dynamic again on my feet.

I doubt I'll ever be able to run but who cares I have a bike!

Oh an compression sock I found really useful once walking again helped with swelling

O+
Posted: Jan 18, 2018 at 18:59 Quote
Harsh man get well soon.

Fantastic pictures and excellent sock game. Hats off to you sir!

Posted: Jan 25, 2018 at 16:38 Quote
Damn this sucks and brings back some memories. Recovery time is difficult, if you can start getting yourself off of those meds as soon as possible. You'll be relying on them before you know it.

Posted: Jan 28, 2018 at 5:57 Quote
Thanks everyone. I’m med free besides beer now. Out of the wheelchair starting two weeks ago and cleared to ride a stationary bike. The elbow has surprised me at the difficulty to gain my motion back. I can put weight on the leg with a boot on now. It is nice to be upright in the world again. I sure do miss the freedom of being in the woods.

Posted: Mar 7, 2018 at 17:10 Quote
June 21 2017 i rode a series of table tops, me and my buddy went back up to ride them again....second time through I broke my right hip and shattered my left collar bone...and got NO pic's!!!!!!!

Broken bones SUCK!! Hope you heal up soon and get back to riding. I know I'm looking forward to it soon

Posted: May 1, 2019 at 8:13 Quote
Turtle353 - I hope you are healed up and back out there! With your permission, I would love to show these photos to a group of wilderness medicine students during our introduction to orthopedic lecture. Do you have the x-ray of your leg by change? Let me know, thanks!

Posted: Aug 30, 2019 at 7:03 Quote
turtle353 wrote:

Had pretty much the exact same injury to my left leg and am still non weight bearing after almost 3 months. Of course there were complications due to an infection because I did not have the luck of a friend nearby and drug myself through the woods down to the trailhead with a compound fracture about 2.5 inches above my ankle...so yeah man, feel your pain. Now dont get me wrong, the day after broke out of the hospital a friend and I were fixing the bike and of course I tried to just gently pedal it because well...I want right back on it lol. Wife thinks I am crazy and will end up killing myself lol, but really I already have a clock on me (cancer) and although this hobby may kill us all it keeps me smiling until my end lol. Butttttt anyways back to the point, hope your healing goes better than mine and it was reassuring to read someone have the exact same leg injury yet driven to just get back out there and on it. In a couple of weeks I get to start putting weight on it so yay for that, but now I have to also try and find a bike that wont try to kill me lol.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.013060
Mobile Version of Website