Eastern Shovelhead vs. Kink Gap XL

PB Forum :: BMX (20")
Eastern Shovelhead vs. Kink Gap XL
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Dec 11, 2017 at 16:11 Quote
Thinking about coming back to 20" after many years of 26" riding.
I'm getting old and fat, so I'm looking at strong and roomy BMX completes.
Both bikes are just under $400 which is nice.
Eastern gets the nod for being full chromoly, whereas the Kink is mostly chromoly.
Close in weight. Kink gets the nod for taller bars, and slightly longer TT. Plus a $75 freecoaster upgrade option which I've never rode but always wanted to try.
Seems like 48 spoke wheels have been mostly eliminated since my days of 20" riding. Do big guys put faith in 36h these days?
Input appreciated, thanks

Posted: Dec 14, 2017 at 6:17 Quote
Depends on what kind of riding you like to do really, the bikes are quite different geometry wise so they will do certain types of riding better than the other. However, I lean towards the kink because upgrading to a coaster for 75 bucks is the best deal you can ever get in BMX. I ride a coaster and love it, as I never do pedal pressure tricks and find myself rolling backwards quite a bit. You normally cant do pedal pressure tricks on a coaster, unless you put in extra slack washers so the clutch is always in contact with the driver. You'll appreciate the taller bars on the kink as well. As far as 36 hole rims go, they are strong as can be as long as you keep em tight and true. My boss is 6'3" and 200 pounds, riding almost every day, and he has never bent or cracked a rim.

Posted: Dec 15, 2017 at 0:59 Quote
Must be full chromo if you are looking for strength, that includes frame/fork/and bars. I havent seen any 48s lately, mostly everyone runs 36s. Im 5-10 and ride a 21TT for reference.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.008605
Mobile Version of Website