Visiting Sedona in March for a few days riding. Need ALL the advice...

PB Forum :: USA - West
Visiting Sedona in March for a few days riding. Need ALL the advice...
  • Previous Page
Posted: Dec 18, 2017 at 20:20 Quote
Hey all, I'm going to be in AZ with work and am planning on adding in a few days of riding in Sedona.

I'll rent a bike there, looks to be good options available, but keen for recommends. Want to ride over a few days, so the best place to get multi-day rentals or the best folks to deal with etc all very welcome advice!

Want to stay somewhere that won't require too much schlepping to the bike shop, beer vendor and of course the trails! Not looking for fancy pants accom, just a good spot with good people.

And then finally, If you were a New Zealander super keen MTB'er with only say three days in Sedona, what would be the trails to ride? The best day trips? I'm keen to tackle anything, the only things that sh*ts me is the hangover line, as the drop off will just freak me out!

Looking to do this in mid-march. Thanks all.

Posted: Jan 5, 2018 at 21:29 Quote
check out Over the Edge bike shop. Guys are super chill and easy to work with. They also do multi day rentals of differing tier bikes. http://otesports.com/locations/sedona/rentals/

Also, if possible go early march, as March 2nd-4th is the Sedona Mountain Bike Festival.
http://otesports.com/events/sedona-mountain-bike-festival-2/?event-date=20180302

They have a list of bike friendly places to stay on their site as well:
http://otesports.com/locations/sedona/info/

one of my favorite bike shops i have been to, and have been actively trying to go to each of their shops. haha.

Posted: Jan 8, 2018 at 20:03 Quote
Awesome, thanks MaliceFox. Looks like the shop to get to. I'm gutted taht I can't make it for the festival, the timing isn't quite right unfortunately, so i'll be there a week later!

MaliceFox wrote:
check out Over the Edge bike shop. Guys are super chill and easy to work with. They also do multi day rentals of differing tier bikes. http://otesports.com/locations/sedona/rentals/

Also, if possible go early march, as March 2nd-4th is the Sedona Mountain Bike Festival.
http://otesports.com/events/sedona-mountain-bike-festival-2/?event-date=20180302

one of my favorite bike shops i have been to, and have been actively trying to go to each of their shops. haha.

Posted: Jan 8, 2018 at 21:53 Quote
remote-local wrote:
Awesome, thanks MaliceFox. Looks like the shop to get to. I'm gutted taht I can't make it for the festival, the timing isn't quite right unfortunately, so i'll be there a week later!

MaliceFox wrote:

No problem, let me know if you want any suggestions on things to see or places to eat, been to sedona a few times, you can really find your soul there.

Posted: Mar 7, 2018 at 17:14 Quote
Hey MaliceFox, i'm finally definitely getting to Sedona in a week! Have a Friday night, a Saturday night and two days of riding lined up. give me some tips for beer and food! And trails. I'll have a rental car, so everything is on the cards.

I've not been to Arizona before so I'm heading up past Flagstaff on Friday, and then back to Sedona Friday afternoon/evening.

MaliceFox wrote:
remote-local wrote:

MaliceFox wrote:

No problem, let me know if you want any suggestions on things to see or places to eat, been to sedona a few times, you can really find your soul there.

Posted: Mar 7, 2018 at 21:31 Quote
remote-local wrote:
Hey MaliceFox, i'm finally definitely getting to Sedona in a week! Have a Friday night, a Saturday night and two days of riding lined up. give me some tips for beer and food! And trails. I'll have a rental car, so everything is on the cards.

I've not been to Arizona before so I'm heading up past Flagstaff on Friday, and then back to Sedona Friday afternoon/evening.

MaliceFox wrote:
remote-local wrote:

Awesome, you're gonna love it out there.

For food:
Famous Pizza - get a slice of the Whitestone and/or Great White Buffalo, and one of the awesome beers they have in stock.

Javalina Cantina (pronounced Havaleena) - great mexican/southwestern food, and reasonably priced for sedona.

Oak Creek Brewery - beer galore!

Wildflower Bread Company - amazing sandwiches and breakfasts. The Banana Caramel Hazelnut french toast is killer.

Speaking of breakfast the Coffee Pot Restaurant has over 100 omelettes and tons of other breakfast stuff.

For the trails, hit up Over the Edge, Bike and Bean, and Absolute Bikes for some trail maps and local recommendations that will fit your skills, distance, etc. You can easily spend all day on the trail systems and never see the same things twice. Just follow the cairn stones and pack lots of water.

And if you want something chill to burn a few hours and relax, go hit up Earth Wisdom Jeep Tours and do the scenic vortex tour in the evening. It's like $100 a person, but to me its more calming than a massage lol.

Posted: Mar 8, 2018 at 14:01 Quote
Thanks so much man, really appreciate it. I've got my rental lined up from over the edge, need them to switch the brakes to the correct sides of the bars! Last time I rode in the states I rented a bike with your "alternative" configuration and my mate and I had some hilarious wipeouts grabbing too much of the wrong brake at the wrong time!

Thanks again, pretty stoked on it already and I haven't even got there!

MaliceFox wrote:
remote-local wrote:

MaliceFox wrote:

For food:
Famous Pizza - get a slice of the Whitestone and/or Great White Buffalo, and one of the awesome beers they have in stock.

Javalina Cantina (pronounced Havaleena) - great mexican/southwestern food, and reasonably priced for sedona.

Wildflower Bread Company - amazing sandwiches and breakfasts. The Banana Caramel Hazelnut french toast is killer.

Speaking of breakfast the Coffee Pot Restaurant has over 100 omelettes and tons of other breakfast stuff.

For the trails, hit up Over the Edge, Bike and Bean, and Absolute Bikes for some trail maps and local recommendations that will fit your skills, distance, etc. You can easily spend all day on the trail systems and never see the same things twice. Just follow the cairn stones and pack lots of water.

And if you want something chill to burn a few hours and relax, go hit up Earth Wisdom Jeep Tours and do the scenic vortex tour in the evening. It's like $100 a person, but to me its more calming than a massage lol.

Posted: Mar 8, 2018 at 15:26 Quote
remote-local wrote:
Thanks so much man, really appreciate it. I've got my rental lined up from over the edge, need them to switch the brakes to the correct sides of the bars! Last time I rode in the states I rented a bike with your "alternative" configuration and my mate and I had some hilarious wipeouts grabbing too much of the wrong brake at the wrong time!

MaliceFox wrote:
remote-local wrote:

For food:

lol hopefully they don't forget to swap them back afterwards!

Posted: Mar 11, 2018 at 21:57 Quote
ah man, is this the worst luck? weather report is showing rain and possibly snow for this coming weekend in Sedona! not what I expected at all! any idea what it's like riding in non-standard desert weather? All that slick rock mixed with water isn't going to be quite the experience I was anticipating! Are some of the more exposed trails too risky in the wet?

MaliceFox wrote:
remote-local wrote:

MaliceFox wrote:

For food:

Posted: Mar 12, 2018 at 9:20 Quote
remote-local wrote:
ah man, is this the worst luck? weather report is showing rain and possibly snow for this coming weekend in Sedona! not what I expected at all! any idea what it's like riding in non-standard desert weather? All that slick rock mixed with water isn't going to be quite the experience I was anticipating! Are some of the more exposed trails too risky in the wet?

MaliceFox wrote:
remote-local wrote:

That sucks! Keep an eye on those weather reports, they change all the time in the states. I haven't been to Sedona when the weather is bad, so unfortunately I dont have any good input for ya. All i can suggest is giving the shop a call and see what they say

O+
Posted: Mar 14, 2018 at 4:12 Quote
Not that big of a deal to ride Sedona in a little bit of rain. As long as it's not pouring you should be fine with a light rain jacket and the dirt and rock should grip just fine. If it rains cats and dogs then it might get a little greasy but still doable just have to watch for the low spots and creek beds as they might have some running water through it. If it snows the only thing that you might need to be careful of is icy spots but a light dusting of snow is no big deal. If it looks like it will just be miserable to ride in Sedona because of the rain/snow, then just take the 2 hour drive to Phoenix and hit up South Mountain Park. Plenty of good riding there. You can check out BKXC's YouTube channel to see a recent ride he did of South Mountain and Sedona. If you want some more local knowledge of Sedona head on over to the forums on the MTBR.com website and check out the Arizona forum. There are always other locals giving out great advice and tips for Sedona and willing to tag a long for a ride as well.

O+
Posted: Mar 14, 2018 at 4:26 Quote
As for places to eat and visit, Elote Cafe is a must for some of the best and most authentic Mexican food you will ever find outside of Mexico. Just have to check the restaurants website to see when and what time they are open. There is also usually a bit of a wait since it is such a popular and award winning place. You can even buy the Chefs/Owners cook book right there and he will personally come out to hand you the book and sign it for you, lol. If you have time and the means you can check out old town Cottonwood a short drive from Sedona for a bunch of other restaurants and bars. And during daytime hours driving up to Jerome just outside of Cottonwood is a treat as well. It is an old copper mining town at the very top of the mountains there. It is a cool little Southwest style town right off the side of the mountain with tons of good restaurants, bars and shops. The wine/coffee shop Caduceus Cellars and Merkin Vineyards Tasting Room is owned and serves sells wine by the front man of the band Tool.

Posted: Mar 14, 2018 at 13:45 Quote
awesome, thank you for all this. really appreciate it! watching those videos is making me itch to get there! weather looks to be improving a bit, still possibly a few showers but nothing too crazy.

lucythefin wrote:
Not that big of a deal to ride Sedona in a little bit of rain. As long as it's not pouring you should be fine with a light rain jacket and the dirt and rock should grip just fine. If it rains cats and dogs then it might get a little greasy but still doable just have to watch for the low spots and creek beds as they might have some running water through it. If it snows the only thing that you might need to be careful of is icy spots but a light dusting of snow is no big deal. If it looks like it will just be miserable to ride in Sedona because of the rain/snow, then just take the 2 hour drive to Phoenix and hit up South Mountain Park. Plenty of good riding there. You can check out BKXC's YouTube channel to see a recent ride he did of South Mountain and Sedona. If you want some more local knowledge of Sedona head on over to the forums on the MTBR.com website and check out the Arizona forum. There are always other locals giving out great advice and tips for Sedona and willing to tag a long for a ride as well.

Posted: Mar 29, 2018 at 15:01 Quote
so, how was sedona for you?

Posted: Apr 11, 2018 at 2:03 Quote
MaliceFox wrote:
so, how was sedona for you?

ah man, sorry I only just saw your question. man, how to describe it?

thought #1: It was f*cking amazing.

Rocked up, picked up a rental Evil Wreckoning, got a ping from a guy in the mtbr forum to come and meet a bunch of riders at a restaurant for a beer, organised to meet in the morning, and then a bunch of top notch local riders showed me around a whole stash of superb trails. the guys shuttled me on a bunch of trails so I could really get a sense of the place, then dropped me down by Oak creek so i could head over to cathedral rock and out to hi line in the afternoon. covered so many miles on that first day, hi line was an absolute blast (and a bitch of a climb in a few places!) but there were heaps of trails I loved. the whole place is just amazing view after amazing view. reckon I slogged out about 9-10 hours in the end on that first day. got back to town, picked up my rental car from outside my new local friend's place and he'd whacked a post-it on the window of the car offering me a cold beer! awesome hospitality from good people is pretty much the best part of traveling. Worth mentioning the guys I rode with were all 25 years older than me and schooled me on the really tech slickrock climbing!

Second day I rode the trails out to hangover, did that whole network, then in by the chapel, rubbernecked the white line but didn't even consider riding it! then did the hog trails network, pretty much capping the day with a full-throttle-rock-staircase-descent-overcook-pogo-the-fork-fling-myself-over-the-bars and off the side of the mountain on the very last trail! last run gremlins... but i was sweet, so no drama. landed pretty much upside down on ledge, with rocks dropping around me but was tangled enough in my bike and a tree that i was able to pull myself back up.

long story short, refer to my first thought. 10/10, would ride again.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.015092
Mobile Version of Website