Bird Aeris owners thread

Posted: Apr 8, 2018 at 2:13 Quote
One thing to bare in mind is that reach doesn't take into account seat angle. A long reach frame with a steep SA could feel the same as a shorter reach bike with a slacker SA when seated on the bike. The offset is that bikes get longer but by using the steeper SA the rider position is more centered and 'in' the bike rather than on it and giving better control and ability to weight either end of the bike as necessary. This was a problem plagued with early longer reach bikes where SA wasn't made steeper to compensate the increase in reach and the rider had to really make effort to weight the front end to make the bike turn in. This isn't such a problem when descending as your weight naturally shifts forwards but definitely was on flatter, twisty trails, demanding the rider shifts their weight forward.

As a point of reference I'm 5'9, my current bike is a Remedy 9.9 29er with 435mm of reach and I use a 50mm stem. My AM9 M/L size frame has 475mm reach and will use a 35mm stem but there is quite a jump in the numbers. When I blind rode the AM9 demo bike last September it didn't feel too much different in terms of being seated and how far out the bar felt in my hands. Riding it was obvious as I felt mre centered and 'in' the bike, despite running quite a high saddle, and this gave more control.

In short, I wouldn't worry on the numbers so much in isolation. If your current bike has a stack height of around 590mm - 600mm and an SA of 73 - 74 degrees, you should be fine with the extra reach.

Posted: Apr 8, 2018 at 10:26 Quote
That's right, reach is not alone! I'm 183 cm (6'0'') and feel right at home on my 506 mm reach long Aeris 145 in size L.
The long wheel base and steep seat tube make you seat in the center of the bike, which is very stable, airtime too.

Posted: Apr 8, 2018 at 12:11 Quote
In short, I wouldn't worry on the numbers so much in isolation. If your current bike has a stack height of around 590mm - 600mm and an SA of 73 - 74 degrees, you should be fine with the extra reach.[/Quote]

Bang on with the 73 degree SA, but the stack is more like 625 even tho it’s 650b. What about the extra wheelbase? My current bike is around 1175mm and I love it for most of my riding. Right now that includes some moderate jumps, berms, and some technical stuff. It never really feels unstable either going fast on straight trails.
Even if I could achieve almost the same standing riding position, would I be better on a WB of something like 1220 vs 1250? I feel like with my riding, and learning everything on an old sport XC bike with a 1040 WB, i wouldn’t feel that much of stability benefit with the longer wheelbase. I do think I would notice some drawbacks like difficulty manualling and slightly worse performance on tight corners. Am I misled in my thinking? Is wanting a playful bike just never having experienced a properly long one?

Posted: Apr 8, 2018 at 12:13 Quote
tophock wrote:
That's right, reach is not alone! I'm 183 cm (6'0'') and feel right at home on my 506 mm reach long Aeris 145 in size L.
The long wheel base and steep seat tube make you seat in the center of the bike, which is very stable, airtime too.

That’s pretty long. It feels great going fast I’m sure but what about tight trails? Also is it hard to quickly change line on a techy section or do you just have plow over everything?

Posted: Apr 8, 2018 at 12:49 Quote
Jeff-Cu wrote:
In short, I wouldn't worry on the numbers so much in isolation. If your current bike has a stack height of around 590mm - 600mm and an SA of 73 - 74 degrees, you should be fine with the extra reach.

Bang on with the 73 degree SA, but the stack is more like 625 even tho it’s 650b. What about the extra wheelbase? My current bike is around 1175mm and I love it for most of my riding. Right now that includes some moderate jumps, berms, and some technical stuff. It never really feels unstable either going fast on straight trails.
Even if I could achieve almost the same standing riding position, would I be better on a WB of something like 1220 vs 1250? I feel like with my riding, and learning everything on an old sport XC bike with a 1040 WB, i wouldn’t feel that much of stability benefit with the longer wheelbase. I do think I would notice some drawbacks like difficulty manualling and slightly worse performance on tight corners. Am I misled in my thinking? Is wanting a playful bike just never having experienced a properly long one?[/Quote]
Given you'll be on bigger wheels and a longer wheelbase I don't think you'll notice much different riding 1220 vs 1250 as the whole experience will be new. I've been riding 160mm/140mm front/rear 29ers for the past 3 years and an Aeris 120 the past year and tbh I've had no trouble jumping between the two wheel sizes and differences in geometry. Your riding sounds very much like mine at no point have I lost the fun by using a longer travel 29er in terms of it being playful, fun to jump, easy to change direction and use on tight trails. A lot comes from good set up and body position around the bike. The one comment I would make is that perhaps you need to lean the bike over a little more than you would a smaller wheeled version.

Posted: Apr 8, 2018 at 13:15 Quote
Little Instagram clip of me riding my Aeris 145LT

https://instagram.com/p/Bg1QIH4jSYu/

Posted: Apr 8, 2018 at 13:22 Quote
Bloggingfit wrote:
Jeff-Cu wrote:

Even if I could achieve almost the same standing riding position, would I be better on a WB of something like 1220 vs 1250? I feel like with my riding, and learning everything on an old sport XC bike with a 1040 WB, i wouldn’t feel that much of stability benefit with the longer wheelbase. I do think I would notice some drawbacks like difficulty manualling and slightly worse performance on tight corners. Am I misled in my thinking? Is wanting a playful bike just never having experienced a properly long one?
Given you'll be on bigger wheels and a longer wheelbase I don't think you'll notice much different riding 1220 vs 1250 as the whole experience will be new. I've been riding 160mm/140mm front/rear 29ers for the past 3 years and an Aeris 120 the past year and tbh I've had no trouble jumping between the two wheel sizes and differences in geometry. Your riding sounds very much like mine at no point have I lost the fun by using a longer travel 29er in terms of it being playful, fun to jump, easy to change direction and use on tight trails. A lot comes from good set up and body position around the bike. The one comment I would make is that perhaps you need to lean the bike over a little more than you would a smaller wheeled version.[/Quote]

Which 29ers have you been on? Right now I’m comparing the Aeris 140 to other bikes. It’s a decent bit longer than the 120, especially in WB. I’ve been looking at the new Transition Sentinel and Patrol and in size Large they are about 1250 and 1240 in WB, but have more moderate reach. I’ve also been looking at the YT Capra 27. Really a front runner for me because of the price. I could fit well on the size Large or XL. The Large has a WB of 1215 and the XL is 1245.
Transition made all of their bikes longer this year by a considerable amount, but I never saw anyone complain about their old bikes being too short. The L Capra is really similar in geo to the previous Patrol, and the XL is closer to the new Patrol and Sentinel. The new transition bikes are also super slack so the new Scout is actually really close to the Capra just with less travel. You don’t think it would be risky to go for the longer one when I know I would be accustomed to the slightly shorter?

Posted: Apr 8, 2018 at 13:37 Quote
Rawkus777 wrote:

Sweet clip. I see you know Tomas then.

Posted: Apr 8, 2018 at 13:42 Quote
Bloggingfit wrote:
Rawkus777 wrote:

Yes, been riding with him and his brother for years now Smile

Posted: Apr 8, 2018 at 13:50 Quote
Jeff-Cu wrote:

Which 29ers have you been on? Right now I’m comparing the Aeris 140 to other bikes. It’s a decent bit longer than the 120, especially in WB. I’ve been looking at the new Transition Sentinel and Patrol and in size Large they are about 1250 and 1240 in WB, but have more moderate reach. I’ve also been looking at the YT Capra 27. Really a front runner for me because of the price. I could fit well on the size Large or XL. The Large has a WB of 1215 and the XL is 1245.
Transition made all of their bikes longer this year by a considerable amount, but I never saw anyone complain about their old bikes being too short. The L Capra is really similar in geo to the previous Patrol, and the XL is closer to the new Patrol and Sentinel. The new transition bikes are also super slack so the new Scout is actually really close to the Capra just with less travel. You don’t think it would be risky to go for the longer one when I know I would be accustomed to the slightly shorter?
Trek Remedy 29er had been my main ride for a years now. I've ridden the AM9 already and also a Spesh Enduro in a Large which was way too big for me for standover clearance but not so bad in reach. Both these had a longer wheelbase than the Remedy but doing back to back riding for comparison over my local trails, I didn't feel that they were longer through tighter sections. Before the Remedy I had a Nomad 3 which was a pig through tight stuff and had a shorter wheelbase than the Remedy.

Out of the L and XL, which has the length of seat tube you prefer and what length stem you you use for each size? That would almost be my deciding factor as I like a bit of standover clearance and would take that and use a longer stem than go up a size, lose clearance and use a shorter stem to get my preferred reach. If are looking to use a 50mm stem for the L then that give you and overall bar position you are happy with, good standover clearance to lean the bike and less worry about the wheelbase.

Posted: Apr 8, 2018 at 13:51 Quote
Rawkus777 wrote:
Bloggingfit wrote:
Rawkus777 wrote:

Cool, you must ride with BOD perhaps?

Posted: Apr 8, 2018 at 14:30 Quote
Bloggingfit wrote:
Rawkus777 wrote:
Bloggingfit wrote:

Cool, you must ride with BOD perhaps?

What’s his full name?

Posted: Apr 8, 2018 at 23:24 Quote
Out of the L and XL, which has the length of seat tube you prefer and what length stem you you use for each size? That would almost be my deciding factor as I like a bit of standover clearance and would take that and use a longer stem than go up a size, lose clearance and use a shorter stem to get my preferred reach. If are looking to use a 50mm stem for the L then that give you and overall bar position you are happy with, good standover clearance to lean the bike and less worry about the wheelbase.[/Quote]

I’m not too worried about the standover because all the seat tubes on the new Capra are pretty short. Also the top tubes are super sloped which I guess is a trade off for no bottle room.
Today I took a ride on one of the new Transition Smugglers in an XL because that was the only option. It had a 500mm reach and a 1242 wheelbase. I never felt super stretched out or uncomfortable but it was a little hard to get grip on the back wheel on some climbs. Could just be that I was on super slick grainy dirt. It has the same WB as the XL Capra and handled pretty well. I was also able to bunny hop about as well as I can on my hardtail. The effective reach on both the Capras is about the same with the different bar rise and both are quite a bit shorter than the smuggler.
I’m definitely descent focused, so knowing I can easily handle the longer WB, should I go for the bigger size? Would the longer WB and similar effective reach give a more DH bike feel? Hands farther behind front wheel?

Posted: Apr 8, 2018 at 23:39 Quote
Jeff-Cu wrote:
Out of the L and XL, which has the length of seat tube you prefer and what length stem you you use for each size? That would almost be my deciding factor as I like a bit of standover clearance and would take that and use a longer stem than go up a size, lose clearance and use a shorter stem to get my preferred reach. If are looking to use a 50mm stem for the L then that give you and overall bar position you are happy with, good standover clearance to lean the bike and less worry about the wheelbase.

I’m not too worried about the standover because all the seat tubes on the new Capra are pretty short. Also the top tubes are super sloped which I guess is a trade off for no bottle room.
Today I took a ride on one of the new Transition Smugglers in an XL because that was the only option. It had a 500mm reach and a 1242 wheelbase. I never felt super stretched out or uncomfortable but it was a little hard to get grip on the back wheel on some climbs. Could just be that I was on super slick grainy dirt. It has the same WB as the XL Capra and handled pretty well. I was also able to bunny hop about as well as I can on my hardtail. The effective reach on both the Capras is about the same with the different bar rise and both are quite a bit shorter than the smuggler.
I’m definitely descent focused, so knowing I can easily handle the longer WB, should I go for the bigger size? Would the longer WB and similar effective reach give a more DH bike feel? Hands farther behind front wheel?[/Quote]
It's all personal preference but general opinion would point towards sizing up rather than down.

Posted: Apr 9, 2018 at 0:27 Quote
I think that’s what I’ll do. Sort of wish I could have taken the Smuggler on some jumps but based on my parking lot shenanigans it should have performed ok. Also some room to grow will be good.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.020119
Mobile Version of Website