SRAM X01 Eagle Cassette Problem. Please Help!

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
SRAM X01 Eagle Cassette Problem. Please Help!
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Dec 21, 2017 at 14:22 Quote
I purchased a X01 1295 cassette and it seems to have a gold washer that is making it impossible to mount to a XD Driver hub. Has anyone else seen this or heard of this issue? It cannot be installed since the inner sleeve a) does not rotate and b) is not recessed enough to meet the threads on the XD driver body. As a last resort he thought we might try tapping the inner sleeve inwards, but was doubtful. Since it would probably negate any warranty (the SRAM installation video does not mention the need to tap the inner sleeve), I agree that this is a bad idea.

I have seen two versions online it seems...

No gold washer
https://images.amain.com/images/large/bikes/sram/00.2418.071.000.jpg

Gold washer
2018 SRAM X01 Eagle 12-speed Groupset without cranks

Gold Washer
XG-1295 Eagle Cassette extremely light for 12s but so expensive...

Posted: Jan 12, 2018 at 23:51 Quote
I have the same cassette on my bike. Have you tried screwing the whole cassette on the hub? The XD free hub is unlike traditional free hubs that you place the cassette on and then screw the lock nut onto. With the eagle cassette the entire cassette gets screwed on. This video is a good example of how it goes on. Hope this helps.

https://youtu.be/6gPsDDLCmeg

Posted: Mar 7, 2018 at 12:39 Quote
DTD93 wrote:
I purchased a X01 1295 cassette and it seems to have a gold washer that is making it impossible to mount to a XD Driver hub. Has anyone else seen this or heard of this issue? It cannot be installed since the inner sleeve a) does not rotate and b) is not recessed enough to meet the threads on the XD driver body. As a last resort he thought we might try tapping the inner sleeve inwards, but was doubtful. Since it would probably negate any warranty (the SRAM installation video does not mention the need to tap the inner sleeve), I agree that this is a bad idea.

I have seen two versions online it seems...

No gold washer
https://images.amain.com/images/large/bikes/sram/00.2418.071.000.jpg

Gold washer
2018 SRAM X01 Eagle 12-speed Groupset without cranks

Gold Washer

XG-1295 Eagle Cassette extremely light for 12s but so expensive...

Hi, I am having the same issue, did you find a solution?

O+
Posted: Mar 8, 2018 at 3:11 Quote
I'll look at mine. If a few hours. However is the cassette new? If so don't modify it contact Sram if you cannot get it to work. Their customer service is actually very good.

Posted: Mar 8, 2018 at 4:26 Quote
sunringlerider wrote:
I'll look at mine. If a few hours. However is the cassette new? If so don't modify it contact Sram if you cannot get it to work. Their customer service is actually very good.

no, not new. I installed it without issues, and now I want to change it, but it is not coming out. Really crazy...

O+
Posted: Oct 20, 2020 at 12:47 Quote
I have 2 Eagle cassettes with this problem. I’m dumbfounded. My old cassette’s inner sleeve spins freely to install. I’m assuming the gold ring has to be pryed out?

Posted: Jun 16, 2021 at 9:46 Quote
Cyclingdr wrote:
I have 2 Eagle cassettes with this problem. I’m dumbfounded. My old cassette’s inner sleeve spins freely to install. I’m assuming the gold ring has to be pryed out?

I have the exact same issue with my brand new 1295 cassette...

Have you managed to find a solution? pry out the gold ring ... ?

Could not find any info on this anywhere on the web...

thanks for your help !

Max

Posted: Jun 16, 2021 at 12:57 Quote
Maxencet wrote:
Cyclingdr wrote:

I have the exact same issue with my brand new 1295 cassette...

Have you managed to find a solution? pry out the gold ring ... ?

Could not find any info on this anywhere on the web...

thanks for your help !

Max

I just installed a new XX1. Same problem, though I was able to find a solution. You don't need to pry out that ring. The sleeve that spins and threads onto the freehub seem to be sticky these days. All I did was hold the cassette with one hand and wrench on the cassette tool with the other to break it free. It took more force than I thought necessary but it eventually started to spin and I was able to install it on the freehub.

edit: Thread discussing problem https://bicycles.stackexchange.com/questions/62600/why-doesnt-my-new-sram-xg-1295-cassette-bolt-turn-freely

O+
Posted: Jun 30, 2021 at 5:34 Quote
Yes! This is what I discovered too! Scary at first

Posted: Jun 30, 2021 at 6:55 Quote
Isn't it standard to use the cassette tool paired with a chain whip for installing and removing SRAM cassettes?
Sounds like that is what people are having an issue with.....no chain whip to hold the cassette in place.
At least with XD hub drivers.....

O+
Posted: Jul 1, 2021 at 6:07 Quote
bajanmonkey wrote:
Isn't it standard to use the cassette tool paired with a chain whip for installing and removing SRAM cassettes?
Sounds like that is what people are having an issue with.....no chain whip to hold the cassette in place.
At least with XD hub drivers.....

Yes, they’re just abnormally stiff and require wayyy more force than expected

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.016235
Mobile Version of Website