Funding a season of racing

PB Forum :: Downhill
Funding a season of racing
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Dec 22, 2017 at 14:52 Quote
Hey Folks,

So I've dipped my toes into racing DH and although I'm not going to start winning anything any time soon I am excited to race next season already. I'll be racing in the masters category and am very much at the bottom of the field as I've only got 2 proper DH races under my belt. I'm trying to work out my potential outlay for a season and am interested in what other people are finding they spend on.

So far I'm thinking:

Tyres for two sets of wheels maybe every 3rd or 4th race
Brake pads
Rotors
Stans fluid
A bunch of spares ie bearings, headset, BB, chain links, spokes........
Kits to race in

What stuff do you all find you have to change alot or replace. Or what sets ups do you think work best (one set of wheels with mud tryes on and one with dry tyres).

Travel shouldn't be a huge factor as work pays for it. Accommodation I will have to budget for but I'll take my tent mostly. Food will be an expense.

I'm aiming to ride the full UK DH Series and if I can get work on board the Scottish Series as well.

Any advice?

Posted: Dec 23, 2017 at 3:43 Quote
Here's another question, I'm on a saracen myst team 2015 which has fox 40 factory forks on. I'm considering a change to something newer but my price range means I'd mostly be looking at bikes with boxxer teams. Realistically as a novice racer would I really notice the difference?

Posted: Dec 24, 2017 at 17:47 Quote
Keep your Fox 40, the Boxxer Team won't be an improvement. Spend your money on shuttling, practicing and a fresh supply of tires and brakes pads.

Posted: Dec 25, 2017 at 1:37 Quote
Painhawk wrote:
Keep your Fox 40, the Boxxer Team won't be an improvement. Spend your money on shuttling, practicing and a fresh supply of tires and brakes pads.

I'm inclined to agree. There's no substitute to time on the bike I reckon. Annoyingly though my closest uplift place is around 3 hrs away. Oh well, got to be committed huh.

Posted: Dec 26, 2017 at 9:32 Quote
Here a list of spares I'd recommend having at every race:
Gear cable( 2 is better, they are cheap)
Mech hanger
Bar and stem ( you could just take them off from another bike if you have more than 1)
Tubes( handy for a quick tire change or a quick puncture repair if you don't have much time)
A spare set of wheels would be nice
A spare derailleur/shifter ( same as above for bar and stem, don't need to be new. Just in case)
A spare chainring (same as above)
At least a spare tire or 2, even used, just for emergency
Mud tires can be useful sometimes
Spare pedals and relative shoes ( I bring my flat pedals and shoes for spare, in case I break a pedal. I normally ride clipless)
Spare cleats if you ride with clipless pedals
Spare goggles lens or spare goggle ( used or new)
Spares riding socks and whatsoever.
Spare screws and stuff
Spare brake pads.
I think that's all I'll bring with me. Hope to be helpful.

Posted: Dec 26, 2017 at 11:00 Quote
ORTOGONAL555 wrote:
Here a list of spares I'd recommend having at every race:
Gear cable( 2 is better, they are cheap)
Mech hanger
Bar and stem ( you could just take them off from another bike if you have more than 1)
Tubes( handy for a quick tire change or a quick puncture repair if you don't have much time)
A spare set of wheels would be nice
A spare derailleur/shifter ( same as above for bar and stem, don't need to be new. Just in case)
A spare chainring (same as above)
At least a spare tire or 2, even used, just for emergency
Mud tires can be useful sometimes
Spare pedals and relative shoes ( I bring my flat pedals and shoes for spare, in case I break a pedal. I normally ride clipless)
Spare cleats if you ride with clipless pedals
Spare goggles lens or spare goggle ( used or new)
Spares riding socks and whatsoever.
Spare screws and stuff
Spare brake pads.
I think that's all I'll bring with me. Hope to be helpful.

Very helpful mate. A good list of stuff there which I'm about half way to completing. Nice one.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.014575
Mobile Version of Website