Is this fixable?

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Is this fixable?
  • Next Page
Posted: Dec 29, 2017 at 3:35 Quote
markg1150 wrote:
Did remember to let the nail polish set hard? Longer you leave it the harder it sets. I give it min 24h before doing anything to it.
Might be worth black painting /marker pen the scratch base then covering with the clear nail polish.
My gut says jb being hard to polish as good and having more friction overall.

What do you mean weatherproofing? It a hard anodised alloy tube.
I might try again with the nail polish and let it set a bit longer, overnight at least this time.
With weather proofing I just meant that I wasn't sure if having the bare metal with only some permanent marker over it would cause problems. The scratches have removed any outer anodised layer hey. Maybe it's not an issue as it's alloy but I just thought I'd ask. Never had to do it before.

Posted: Dec 29, 2017 at 4:39 Quote
Cool. I thought you might have mistaken them for steel tubes in which case you would have been right about weather proofing them.
Alloy can fur up abit but you will be covering it up anyway with the polish.
Will have to be overnight min I think for nail polish and pref somewhere warm ish and dry.
The area will never feel the same as the special slippery coat they put on the rest of the tubes but it does the job for the tiny damaged spots and you won't be able to tell riding it.

Posted: Jan 11, 2018 at 18:46 Quote
Man I did this to my shock. I use nail polish but I let it sit for maybe ten minutes before sanding down and it seems to do the trick. Just keep an eye on it. I touch mine up every 15 rides or so

• Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.010529
Mobile Version of Website