Saracen Mantra 1 - Replacement Forks

PB Forum :: Beginners
Saracen Mantra 1 - Replacement Forks
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Jan 2, 2018 at 7:19 Quote
Recently decided to put my old Saracen to good use, but one thing that needs attention is the forks - I;m struggling to find any exact specs online though to look for suitable replacements? anyone help out? trying to avoid disassembling the bike just to take sizes as it's in regular use

Posted: Jan 6, 2018 at 1:05 Quote
LiamYZF wrote:
Recently decided to put my old Saracen to good use, but one thing that needs attention is the forks - I;m struggling to find any exact specs online though to look for suitable replacements? anyone help out? trying to avoid disassembling the bike just to take sizes as it's in regular use

Upgrading Your Suspension
If your current front suspension needs replacing due to non-serviceable wear or damage, you need to know these 4 specs to replace it:
1. Axle compatibility: Does your front wheel have a standard 9mm quick-release? Or a 15mm or 20mm through axle? Choose the correct axle dropout size for your wheel.
2. Travel: Many bike frames are designed to work with a suspension fork featuring a specific amount of travel. The amount of travel will change the handling characteristics of the bike. An older mountain bike may have an 80mm fork, which is hard to find now. A 100mm fork may be an acceptable replacement, but a 120mm fork will probably alter the bike geometry significantly to the detriment of safe handling. In addition, some fully rigid bikes come with the correct frame geometry angle to upgrade to a suspension fork. Always check with your bike manufacturer for replacement fork recommendations.
3. Steerer tube: A standard steerer tube (see components diagram, below) is straight with a 1-1/8” diameter. Very old bikes may have a 1” diameter tube; newer bikes may have a tapered or oversized steerer tube. Make sure your new fork has a compatible steerer tube.
4. Brake type: Most mountain bikes now have disc brakes. If you want to replace a fork that has rim brake mounts, your choices will be limited to some very basic suspension models unless you upgrade your wheel and brakes as well.

https://www.rei.com/learn/expert-advice/suspension.html

Hope this helps. I will get a fork upgrade for my DB Recoil 29er soon.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.009020
Mobile Version of Website