North Vancouver Bike Decsion

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
North Vancouver Bike Decsion
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Jan 5, 2018 at 14:57 Quote
Hello PB forum. Average rider/newbie poster here who needs help making a decision on a new all-mountain bike for the North Shore (BC).

I ride the blue and 'light' black stuff on the shore with mixed results. I'm in my mid-40s and just took up riding 7 years ago, so no 'hucking' anything and always happy to get down in one piece. I've only owned one bike (Trek Fuel EX eight) since I started and now it is time to upgrade. Budget is a consideration as I only ride about 25 times per year, so no point in spending $10K.

I've considered the Norco Sight, Giant Trance (not Carbon), Rocky Mountain Instinct, Specialized Stumpjumper, Trek Fuel Ex.

I am 6'0 and have been told 29er is the way to go, which may exclude the Trance.

Interested to hear input from the crowd.

Thank you,
SB

Posted: Jan 5, 2018 at 18:07 Quote
Trance. Hands down. Great bike for the $, you won’t find a better value. Just got a small trance 2 for my wife and I’m kind of jealous to be honest. Handles our local trails and WB bike park no problem

FL
Posted: Jan 5, 2018 at 18:55 Quote
Sight hands down, great bike for the money, you won’t find a better value, just bought myself a large sight. Handles our local trails and the WBP well.

=

You need to go demo these bikes and find out for yourself.

Posted: Jan 5, 2018 at 19:25 Quote
The Specialized Stumpjumper, or the Rocky Mountain Instinct would be my (slightly biased) picks for the information you provided. If you need a more playful and nimble bike, the Trance's 27.5 wheel size will help out there. If you get a Trek Fuel, you likely will not have to learn to adapt to a new bike, since you are practically riding it now.

Posted: Jan 6, 2018 at 14:46 Quote
Excellent, thanks for the feedback. I guess I am on the right track so far and just need to go out and try a couple.
So many interesting thoughts on the 29 vs. 27.5 out there! A few of my friends say 29er, no contest, but I worry about the manoeuvrability on tight trails.
SB

FL
Posted: Jan 6, 2018 at 15:14 Quote
The newest generation of 29ers are a blast on the ‘tight’ north shore trails. The only thing I’ve noticed on my 29 slash compared to my last 650b bike is the sheer speed over all trails you can carry

O+
Posted: Jan 6, 2018 at 18:05 Quote
I like how with the new fuel ex you can switch between the more compliant and grippy 27.5+ wheels and the faster rolling 29 inch wheels on the same bike. It makes it really versatile.

O+
Posted: Jan 7, 2018 at 11:28 Quote
You will be happy with pretty much any modern bike in the All Mountain or Enduro category. All the bike companies are doing a pretty good job. A 29er would fit your style of riding pretty well. The better rollover and increased speed ( I mean the speed that you feel comfortable is faster) make it easier to ride. I haven't noticed tight corners being an issue. The 650B wheel is still super relevant though. They are a bit more lively and fun to jump.

I think the newer Sights are fantastic Shore bikes for most people. Might be a budget breaker though.

I have a couple of 2016 Range's in great condition if you are looking for something used.

O+
Posted: Jan 7, 2018 at 19:54 Quote
I have an E29 and I don’t find the Shore trails I rode too tight...and I tend to ride slower sketchy techy stuff. The switchbacks on GSM and PL are no problem, and they’re pretty tight on most bikes.

You’ll be fine with either wheel size.

Posted: Jan 7, 2018 at 20:41 Quote
Perfect, many thanks all.
SB

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.120314
Mobile Version of Website