What is the purpose of the plastic cassette guard?

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
What is the purpose of the plastic cassette guard?
  • Next Page
Posted: Jun 1, 2008 at 9:32 Quote
madbikertom wrote:
nothin works
anything else ?

Scissors or something that cuts?

Posted: Jun 1, 2008 at 9:36 Quote
take a knife and put it above a fire (from the stove), after a few seconds take it off the fire and carefully cut plastic. it worked for my friend.

Posted: Jun 1, 2008 at 17:02 Quote
madbikertom wrote:
nothin works
anything else ?

it takes time just put your mind to it

Posted: Jun 2, 2008 at 12:27 Quote
hit it with your purse.

Posted: Jun 2, 2008 at 12:31 Quote
FlyingFish wrote:
hit it with your purse.
lol tup Pimp

Posted: May 24, 2013 at 12:50 Quote
stevenma188 wrote:
i recently took my bike in to a shop to have the back wheel retrued. the guy forgot to put back on the plastic guard that goes between the cassette and the hub (i think thast what its called Confused ). what is the purpose of that piece of plastic and do i rly need it?

the spacer is there for a very important reason - it stops the chain from over travelling past/behind the cassette and jamming against the spokes - an action that usually happens after cable strecth on new bikes.

the guard is, i think, also a spacer - ive taken mine off and replaced the cassette without the guard and afterwards i noticed that there was play from the cassette on the hub...
if you replace the spacer guard and tighten the threaded cap youll notice that theres no play at all from the cassette on the hub - if theres play then the chain wont sit right on the cogs of the cassette as it spins - causing wear and tear on the cassette and at worst may snap the chain...

so if youve snapped it off - or taken it off - check to see if the cassette moves on the hub....if it then im thinking thats a real bad thing and you should look into replacing the spacer

Posted: May 30, 2013 at 14:10 Quote
It's not a spacer for the cassette. Wen you changed your cassette did you change from an 8 to a 7 speed? Go to your lbs and ask them for a cassette spacer.

Posted: May 30, 2013 at 15:56 Quote
It is called a pie plate and all it does is prevents the derailleur from going into your spokes, if your derailleur is adjusted correctly this should never happen unless you crash and it gets bent into your wheel. You don't need it if everything is adjusted and any good bike mechanic should take it off for you.

Chris
http://www.offthechainbicycles.com

• Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.015269
Mobile Version of Website