Seat Tube reaming

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Seat Tube reaming
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
O+ FL
Posted: Feb 21, 2018 at 6:06 Quote
I am looking for some advice/opinions on my current situation.
I have a steel Transition Trans Am frame with a 30.0 seat tube and 32.8 collar. I have a 30.9 dropper seat post.
Would it be okay to try to use a seat tube reamer to expand the seat tube to fit my dropper? Is this to much material to shave off?
The frame is a 2012 with 26" wheels. So a relatively inexpensive frame at this point. However it is my main bike and I do really enjoy it.
So if you were in this situation would you:
A) Try a reamer to make the post fit
B) Suck it up and continue riding the bike without a dropper
C) Sell the 30.9 dropper and buy a 27.2 dropper and shim (very limited 27.2 dropper options though)

Is a seat tube reamer a typical tool found in bike shops?

Any advice, help or opinions are greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Posted: Feb 22, 2018 at 15:49 Quote
Seattube Reamers are not meant for seattube resizes.

O+ FL
Posted: Feb 23, 2018 at 8:02 Quote
You will most definitely destroy your frame. The thickness of the seat tube would not allow for this. I would strongly recommend against this.

O+ FL
Posted: Feb 23, 2018 at 17:09 Quote
Thanks for the responses.
I have decided against A.
Will be sticking with option B unless my dropper sells.

Time to close the thread down.

Posted: Feb 24, 2018 at 18:14 Quote
I did this exact same thing on my bottelrocket with a reamer. It worked wonderfully and has performed well. I also emailed transition and they said they couldn’t recommend it but they said it shouldn’t be a problem.

Posted: Feb 24, 2018 at 18:15 Quote
FYI the bottlerocket is aluminum, was not aware the trans am was steel.

O+ FL
Posted: Feb 24, 2018 at 18:28 Quote
mrfrench2013 wrote:
I did this exact same thing on my bottelrocket with a reamer. It worked wonderfully and has performed well. I also emailed transition and they said they couldn’t recommend it but they said it shouldn’t be a problem.

Before posting here I contacted Transition as well and they told me "Sure go ahead and try it, just be careful."
That didn't seem to confidence inspiring so thats when I came here for some second opinions.

Posted: Feb 26, 2018 at 19:02 Quote
ya, i hear ya. i couldn't find much info on it myself, after reaming the tubing is the same diameter as the tubing on a bike with the desired seat post size an thats how i justified it. I'm a feather weight too so I'm not really concerned about it.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.010083
Mobile Version of Website