Well equipped, affordable kids bike? Does it exist?

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Well equipped, affordable kids bike? Does it exist?
  • Next Page
O+
Posted: Mar 1, 2018 at 18:36 Quote
We are going for the new 24” Frog mountain bike this year for our 8 year old. It’s a hardtail with disc brakes. Frog worked with a fork manufacturer to customize the front fork so it actually works for kids (as in not just a shortened adult fork that kids are too light for). We’ve had a couple of regular Frog bikes and they’re excellent, light weight bikes. Can’t wait to try the mountain bike.

Posted: Mar 2, 2018 at 8:38 Quote
AshleyRJ wrote:
We are going for the new 24” Frog mountain bike this year for our 8 year old. It’s a hardtail with disc brakes. Frog worked with a fork manufacturer to customize the front fork so it actually works for kids (as in not just a shortened adult fork that kids are too light for). We’ve had a couple of regular Frog bikes and they’re excellent, light weight bikes. Can’t wait to try the mountain bike.

How much?

O+
Posted: Mar 2, 2018 at 9:30 Quote
swaldrop wrote:
I have looked at the used 24" bikes and have found a few, but most were in Canada and local pickup only. Even if they were to ship, it would price me out of the value of the bike.

I will check out both the Rocky Mountain and the Scott Junior.

For bike shipping check out BikeFlights.com. I bet it won't price you out.

I recently sold and shipped a BMX race bike for $35 from WA to CA. Their rates are incredible.

O+
Posted: Mar 2, 2018 at 9:40 Quote
ianwish wrote:
AshleyRJ wrote:

How much?

https://www.frogbikes.com/lightweight-kids-bikes/mountain-bikes/

O+
Posted: Mar 2, 2018 at 20:32 Quote
ianwish wrote:
AshleyRJ wrote:

How much?

About $1k CAD

Posted: Mar 3, 2018 at 6:03 Quote
Salsa timberjack 24"

O+
Posted: Mar 3, 2018 at 10:58 Quote
Check out the commencal meta 20 or 24. They also have a 2016 ramones 24 on sale for $349 CAD.....the meta is more aggressive though

Posted: Mar 6, 2018 at 16:11 Quote
AshleyRJ wrote:
ianwish wrote:
AshleyRJ wrote:

How much?

About $1k CAD

So not an "affordable" kids bike then.

Posted: Mar 6, 2018 at 16:19 Quote
Norco makes some well equipped kids bikes for pretty good prices.

O+
Posted: Mar 6, 2018 at 17:43 Quote
There is a LOT more info over on the mtbr riding with kids forum BTW.

Orbea MX24 Disk is hard to beat for the money. Really nice bikes but hard to find sometimes. Just make sure you replace the cranks for some 140mm stuff. Stay away from the silly plus bikes and crappy spring forks.

Prevelo makes a nice bike too in both a rigid and air fork.

Spawn Yama Jama is pretty sick too. We have the 20" and it's unreal, tho the Geo isn't as ideal on the 24" because of the 26" fork and oddly long head tube.

There are a couple of other bikes that are slipping my mind but they are listed over at mtbr.

Oh, try the Norco Charger 2.1 or tbh the Rocky Mountain Vertex is the dopeness! I like the Geo for it too.

Cheers man, fwiw buy both. BMX and mountain biking are like peanut butter and Jelly for kids. Those BMX kids have an INSANE amount of better bikes skills than the mtb kids. We are working on both just for development sake.

• Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.015037
Mobile Version of Website