Kona Honzo but Carbon, Alu?

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
Kona Honzo but Carbon, Alu?
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Apr 20, 2018 at 9:25 Quote
Time to upgrade my lovely 2013 Steel Kona Honzo, but the options are staggering. My current bike is perfect. The need to change is I simply want to ride longer distance this year and the old steel Honzo gets a bit exhausting after 4 hours.

I thought I'd settled on a 2017 Trail Carbon, despite the negatives of cracking and chipping Carbon. I figured Carbonis probably more repairable than aluminium as there's no heat involved and is probably the lightest option? Well, maybe but that's not my problem.

Lightness is my objective really but I can't find comparable weights between the 2017 models (carbon and Alu) and also the different 650b or 29er models?

One thing's for certain, it will be a Honzo but how can I compare the weights?

Posted: Apr 21, 2018 at 23:22 Quote
I held up both ally and carbon on a demo and the difference is noticeable. About a kilo I guessed but the carbon had much better parts on it aswell How bout the ti version? Safer bet.
Maybe look at a transition vanquish very simlar (pratically a copy) but climbs /pedals better. I know because iv got one as I couldn't get honzo frame only in UK/Europe. Super fun also but needs a 130 fork to work unlike a 120 on a honzo

Posted: Apr 24, 2018 at 7:55 Quote
Your steel is rad, but the carbon frame will shed at least a few pounds from your overall setup. Kona won't post a weight though, and manufacturer weights are normally sketchy anyway.

Remember, weight is a nice, sexy measurable, but when you consider that you, the person, might be anywhere between 150-250 lbs, a 3 lb frame change is not going to make much of a hit when you think about it as a percentage of your overall setup. Also, consider that all weight isn't equal - wheel weight is the best weight to pull off a bike, and a good rim/tire combo, set up tubeless, can make a bit feel totally different.

My two cents.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.014371
Mobile Version of Website