Whats the big difference between the more expensive stump jumpers and the lower cost ones?

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
Whats the big difference between the more expensive stump jumpers and the lower cost ones?
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: May 22, 2018 at 9:06 Quote
I might want to get the Stumpjumper ST Alloy 27.5 (https://www.specialized.com/us/en/mens-stumpjumper-st-alloy-27-5/p/154984?color=253564-154984), and I just don’t know why there are other stumpjumpers that are even up to $9k, when this one is just $1,850. Is it because the components are much higher quality and that there’s more suspension travel? I just really don’t get it.

Posted: May 22, 2018 at 14:07 Quote
Everything is different. The frame is carbon, and all the components are better/stiffer/lighter. Go to jensonusa.com and look up the difference in cost between cheap and expensive components. A cheap fork may be $300, an expensive one may be $1000. Cheap groupset may be $300, XX1 Eagle is around $1500. Specialized isn't paying exactly these prices, but it just shows that expensive components can be over 3 times as expensive as cheap ones. Then add in that carbon frames are typically double the price of aluminum.

All the components are listed on Specialized's website, so feel free to add them up and see where the costs come from.

Posted: May 23, 2018 at 8:16 Quote
I have an Alloy Stumpy, and I'd say the biggest difference is the frame and obviously the components. While I don't have the bottom of the barrel Stumpy, Out of the box the bike is very capable at the lower ranges. I did require quite a few upgrades third to get into my liking.I have to buy a brand-new:
1) front and rear XTR brakes ($200) cause I didnt like how squishy the originals were (again the originals worked fine, just didn't like the feel),
2) new WTB front and rear wheels($65 x 2=$130) (they originals dented easily, very soft),
3) new XT Derailers ($55) and front shifter ($40); (The original worked fine most of the time during ride, I just felt like I always had to adjust them after the ride)
4) 11 speed cassette ($65) more gears for the mountains I live in)

Total $490 plus odds and ends that didn't really need upgrading but was done just for shits and giggles. I dont have the bees knees build but my bike total to my liking cost me approx $3000 after upgrades.

Honestly most parts can be found for very cheap on the internet, the frame is where the the big dollars start coming in.

Maybe its just me but i feel like if you are capable of wrenching on your bike, you can potentially buy the cheapest carbon stumpy and upgrade to your liking instead of purchasing the top of the line one and come out with a few more dollars in your pocket. But definitely do the math first before jumping in.

What ever you do, I'm sure you'll love the bike no matter what.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.009249
Mobile Version of Website