DIY carbon seller in the buysell

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
DIY carbon seller in the buysell
  • Previous Page
Posted: Jun 19, 2018 at 11:50 Quote
Has anyone actually bought carbon products from the gentlemen in Pinkbike's buy sell forum? He sells all kinds of carbon parts but I am looking to buy wheels and curious as to anyone's experience with him. Tylerf7 is his username, DIY carbon is on his business card. I will be using them for enduro/park riding.

Posted: Jun 25, 2018 at 14:40 Quote
mcappsnbt wrote:
Has anyone actually bought carbon products from the gentlemen in Pinkbike's buy sell forum? He sells all kinds of carbon parts but I am looking to buy wheels and curious as to anyone's experience with him. Tylerf7 is his username, DIY carbon is on his business card. I will be using them for enduro/park riding.

See if he will tell you who his rim supplier is, that is your best bet. I've had three pairs of chinese carbon wheels and they have been completely bulletproof. I don't know about park riding, but I've used my 29ID asymmetric AM layup wheels with 28 bladed spokes on pretty much all the Pisgah trails on my Insurgent and now Mojo 3 without any issue whatsoever.

Posted: Jun 25, 2018 at 14:46 Quote
His profile doesn't exist anymore.

So that answers that question.

Posted: Jun 25, 2018 at 14:46 Quote
Haha, I'd say that's a pretty bad sign, yea.

O+
Posted: Jun 29, 2018 at 8:32 Quote
His profile name is now DIYcarbonbikes. I was interested in a set of 29er wheels for trail and xc riding. I asked him for references. He gave me a huge list of PB accounts who had bought wheels from him. I messaged a bunch and they all said good things. My wheels arrived quite quickly from China but came with the wrong front hub width. He has made it right for me very quickly. I haven't ridden the wheels yet but they look very good. We'll see how it all plays out...

O+
Posted: Jul 23, 2018 at 7:25 Quote
I'm about four rides into these wheels and they seem quite nice. They are stiff and quite light. The weight on my scale for the 29er set with 30mm internal width came to 1680 grams on Novatec hubs. If these stand up well I'll buy a set for my cx bike too. Very happy so far.

O+
Posted: Sep 15, 2018 at 20:06 Quote
Just bought a set of trail spec 35mm (i30) 27.5, bladed sapim spokes, ordered with dt350 hubs and blue spoke nipples. What I received had an internal width of 28mm (35 external width), and black spoke nipples. The box was shipped straight from china. When asked why I did not receive what I had ordered, I was told the factory had run out of blue nipples and the 28mm width rims were likely the am/dh peices. I was not informed that the wheels could not be built as specified. That being said, they looked good, and I figured a little extra durability couldn't hurt so I did not request a return/refund.

I've only had one ride on them so far, but they did feel much more precise than the OE i28 blanchard aluminum wheels they replaced (so much so that it will take some adjusting to) and were noticeably easier to spin up extended climbs. They also seemed to mute the trail a bit (despite feeling stiffer) and the hubs are eerily silent.

O+
Posted: Sep 19, 2018 at 12:33 Quote
Guys- do you have any pics to share?

Would be good to know what the product looks like landed

Posted: Sep 19, 2018 at 12:57 Quote
whitebirdfeathers wrote:
His profile name is now DIYcarbonbikes. I was interested in a set of 29er wheels for trail and xc riding. I asked him for references. He gave me a huge list of PB accounts who had bought wheels from him. I messaged a bunch and they all said good things. My wheels arrived quite quickly from China but came with the wrong front hub width. He has made it right for me very quickly. I haven't ridden the wheels yet but they look very good. We'll see how it all plays out...

could you post the said list of references? would like to contact some as well.

O+
Posted: Sep 19, 2018 at 20:17 Quote
brankulo wrote:
whitebirdfeathers wrote:

could you post the said list of references? would like to contact some as well.

I'm not that interested in publicly posting a list of references. I'm really happy with my wheelset. If you reach out to Ty from DIY I'm sure he'll give you a list of buyers.

O+
Posted: Sep 20, 2018 at 13:09 Quote
ehfour wrote:

photo
photo

Seem to be having trouble getting the images to show, but at least the links work. The wheels had stickers, but I pulled them off since they didn't match my frame. They were super easy to remove.

O+
Posted: Sep 20, 2018 at 15:17 Quote
eyeballs wrote:
ehfour wrote:

Seem to be having trouble getting the images to show, but at least the links work. The wheels had stickers, but I pulled them off since they didn't match my frame. They were super easy to remove.

Nice pics, thanks for sharing!

Posted: Nov 8, 2018 at 19:26 Quote
So I ordered 2 sets of 30mm id wheels. One dt350 and the other dt240 on Aug 25. 350s were to be sent to my PA address and the 240s to my AZ address. 240s showed up in PA. (A $40 bikeflights expense to get them to AZ) STILL waiting for 350s. Ty is responsive and has told me they are stuck in customs at JFK. Filing a lost package claim this week...really sucks as they were for my brother and riding window in PA is closing on him.

About the 240s that showed up...their weight was an unexpected 1370g without tape or stems. 1405g tubeless ready. Wow! Were estimated to be about 1475-1500g. Finish looks really good with no obvious seems, burs or poor workmanship. Outside measures 35.3mm. I forgot to measure the inside however the tires I mounted are the same as what I have on my Nobl tr36 and measure slightly more narrow than on TRs. I’m not sure but I suspect they will measure less than 30mm. We’ll see. Wheels ride great and have held up to several rocky rides in AZ mounted on my Scott genius. They are still perfectly tru and I’m a rock crusher. Impressed so far but wish the 350s would show up!

Posted: Nov 11, 2018 at 13:36 Quote
Anyone try anything other then wheels

Posted: Feb 3, 2019 at 21:11 Quote
TannerZ wrote:
Anyone try anything other then wheels

Let’s revive this thread. I’m thinking about pulling the trigger on the hardtail stache frame and some wheels. Anyone build up a frame yet? Pics on the site look dope.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.014608
Mobile Version of Website