Powered by Outside

Fallen trees, saws

PB Forum :: Trail Building
Fallen trees, saws

Author Message
Posted: Jul 25, 2018 at 17:05 Quote
What hand saws could be used to cut up big, fallen trees? Anything out there that could be packable? Or is it chainsaw only for the 15+ inch diameter stuff? I only went on 2 rides & there were 5 or more trees down right on the good parts of the trail.

Posted: Jul 27, 2018 at 21:12 Quote
SS-Minox wrote:
What hand saws could be used to cut up big, fallen trees? Anything out there that could be packable? Or is it chainsaw only for the 15+ inch diameter stuff? I only went on 2 rides & there were 5 or more trees down right on the good parts of the trail.

Silky or Bahco, I have both. They have various sizes depending on what you need. Caution - they are PULL saws. If you push and cut, you'll bend a blade, then they're a pain to use.


https://www.amazon.com/Bahco-396-LAP-Laplander-Folding-Inch/dp/B0001IX7OW/ref=pd_lpo_vtph_469_bs_lp_t_1?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=ME48546H4BK3CR2B7XHF


https://www.amazon.com/Forester-Platinum-Professional-Scabbard-Compares/dp/B0757GFPRZ/ref=sr_1_3_sspa?s=power-hand-tools&ie=UTF8&qid=1532751038&sr=1-3-spons&keywords=silky+saw&psc=1

Posted: Jul 28, 2018 at 0:53 Quote
if you have really thick stuff i tend to use a chainsaw. but befor i got one i tended to use an axe. if you have a good, sharp one and know how to use it, it can be amazingly fast and efficient, esp. on fresh wood.

a good axe will go through a 20 inch softwood log like pine in no time. a hardwood will be tougher though.

Posted: Jul 30, 2018 at 1:50 Quote
true the silky are awesome saws but i doubt that a 18 cm saw will go through a 15 inch or 35+ cm tree like OP asked. i have not yet found a packable handsaw for that purpose...

FL
Posted: Jul 30, 2018 at 16:54 Quote
Chainsaw chain and some cable and handles?

Posted: Jul 31, 2018 at 20:03 Quote
I wonder if there might be a way to drive a chainsaw chain with the bike....but that katanaboy 650 looks interesting too. Trails need serious help, in the last 3 rides I’ve discovered about 15-25 big trees down. Think I can ride with a chainsaw?

Posted: Jul 31, 2018 at 20:14 Quote
SS-Minox wrote:
I wonder if there might be a way to drive a chainsaw chain with the bike....but that katanaboy 650 looks interesting too. Trails need serious help, in the last 3 rides I’ve discovered about 15-25 big trees down. Think I can ride with a chainsaw?

Maybe its time to organize a trail day .

http://www.cyclorama.net/viewArticle.php?id=248


  • Previous Page
  • Next Page

 


Copyright © 2000 - 2026. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.007748
Mobile Version of Website