Thoughts on Fox riding gear

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Thoughts on Fox riding gear
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Oct 23, 2018 at 4:35 Quote
Need some winter riding gear and the new Attack Pro Water stuff from Fox seems to tick all the boxes. As it’s new out I’m struggling to find any decent reviews.

I’m happy to spend £300+ on a set of waterproofs if it’s going to last well but as I’ve never owned a Fox jacket or shorts I wanted to know the general opinion?

Is Fox stuff worth the money or will it be letting in water and falling apart after 1 season?

Posted: Oct 23, 2018 at 8:04 Quote
They’re definitely not the decent quality they used to be back in early naughties.

Sizing is well off too as made for starvin marvins imo.

They come up mega small for their jerseys.

O’neal do fancy waterproofs at silly high prices if you feel the need so do plenty others.

Berghaus jackets can be had new for £40

Form over function ? Choose 1

Posted: Oct 23, 2018 at 9:49 Quote
I've been looking for a decent rain jacket for a few seasons now. It seems that mountain bike specific designs kinda suck. They're either hoodless (seriously WTF is wrong with you, Fox, why would you not include this?), pockets absent or in shitty locations, or have poor waterproofing. The best jacket I had was the cheapest one I've ever bought, a no-name low end jacket from MEC (canada's REI) that I used to commute in. Unfortunately it fell out of a backpack last season while commuting and is long gone.

I've ended up looking for hiking/climbing/mountaineering jackets instead. There are way more options to choose from and can have your pick of what kind of waterproofing you want. Gore Tex 2L, 2.5L, 3L Pro, etc. They're basically better designed and just as good if not better than the high end biking gear from Fox, 7mesh, Gore, etc. Many have a lifetime warranty. I don't think any bike specific company offers that. And, you can use them for other things or for casual wear as well.

Posted: Oct 23, 2018 at 10:24 Quote
I would consider a hiking jacket, I already own numerous items from Rab and berghaus.

Ive been wearing a Berghaus soft shell for winter riding over the last few years and now the small amount of water/shower proofing it had is long gone and its due for replacement.

My main issue with hiking gear is finding something fit for riding. Ideally I want the sporty fit and style of a soft shell but fully waterproof. Whereas most waterproof hiking jackets are thin and loose fitting to go over jumpers etc.

Also I primarily need a set of waterproof shorts which I’m unlikely to get from a hiking stores. I keep coming back to the endura MT500 but for some unknown reason I’m just not that keen on them and the Fox seemed a good alternative.

Posted: Oct 23, 2018 at 10:52 Quote
J-McBride wrote:
I would consider a hiking jacket, I already own numerous items from Rab and berghaus.

Ive been wearing a Berghaus soft shell for winter riding over the last few years and now the small amount of water/shower proofing it had is long gone and its due for replacement.

My main issue with hiking gear is finding something fit for riding. Ideally I want the sporty fit and style of a soft shell but fully waterproof. Whereas most waterproof hiking jackets are thin and loose fitting to go over jumpers etc.

Also I primarily need a set of waterproof shorts which I’m unlikely to get from a hiking stores. I keep coming back to the endura MT500 but for some unknown reason I’m just not that keen on them and the Fox seemed a good alternative.

Right, yes that makes sense. You're correct about waterproof shorts, you aren't going to find anything from ArcTeryx useful for riding a bike in. I'd trust fox with waterproof shorts, for sure.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.007337
Mobile Version of Website