Building a Frame Jig

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Building a Frame Jig
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Nov 4, 2018 at 18:48 Quote
Hello to all who take a look at my frame jig build thread. I have been an avid mountain biker for years and I have always been a bit mechanical so here I am building a frame jig so that I can start building my own frames.

This is the material I will be using, it is called T slot framing from 80/20.
photo
I got the design and inspiration from a youtube channel called Pithy Bikes. He has been the inspiration and mastermind behind my project. He has a video series of a step by step process building his jig as well as frames.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqQaFLkweCgviyj_E0VEy9Q
I will be using his design to build my jig, however I will be changing a few small things.

Posted: Nov 4, 2018 at 18:53 Quote
photo

This is an old motor stand my father had laying around his shop. I figured it would be great for my jig, I just need to clean it up.

Fresh paint
photo

all built up
photo

photo

Posted: Nov 4, 2018 at 19:05 Quote
The first step to the build was to mount the main jig beam to the work stand. I put the whole rotating plate in a lathe and spun it down to ensure the main beam is mounted to a flat surface.

photo

The 80/20 comes with pre existing holes in the ends of the material but they need to be taped so that I could mount the head tube beam.

photo
I had to then drill the holes through the head tube beam which is no easy task I found out. I am using 8-1.25 bolts, so first I drilled the holes for the bolts then I drilled room for the heads of the bolts using a large drill.

Posted: Nov 4, 2018 at 19:46 Quote
Next up is the adjustable head tube. The bottom arm will be in a fixed location and the top arm will be able to slide so you can use any size of head tube.

I am using one inch thick 6061 aluminum plate for all of the main fixtures. I milled the pieces down to 40mm so they match the 80/20. This photo is the bottom head tube arm that I grooved so it fits tight in the 80/20 track. I then drilled and taped the plate to take a 8-1.125 pitch bolt.
photo

The top arm will be the adjustable one so I have to use two pieces and bolt them together. I then install t-slot bolts which will act as the locking mechanisums for the arms.
photo

photo

Here it is bolted up.
photo

Posted: Nov 4, 2018 at 19:55 Quote
These are the three (two for head tube and one for seat tube) cups I have milled down from two inch 6160 aluminum.

photo

I still need to mount the cups to the head tube arms.

photo

Posted: Dec 2, 2018 at 17:49 Quote
Looks cool. Keep us updated as you get one jigged up and built!

Posted: Dec 2, 2018 at 20:06 Quote
Beecee336 wrote:
Looks cool. Keep us updated as you get one jigged up and built!

Thank you man I really appreciate that. I am a complete newbie to machining and working with the lathe but it has been a fun learning process. I am still a few months out on welding up a frame but I will definitely post it on this build thread.

Posted: Dec 2, 2018 at 20:14 Quote
I am now mounting up the seat tube and bottom bracket portion of the jig. This is the backing plate that will mount to the 80/20 as well as the mast for the seat tube and bb.

I have cut out the block and cleaned up the edges in the mill, now I have marked out the mounting holes.

photo

End mills leave a great look on the material.
photo

Hear it is all mounted up.
photo

Posted: Dec 2, 2018 at 20:25 Quote
This is the mounting slider for the seat tube cup.
photo

All mounted up.
photo

Next I needed a way to adjust the angles on the head tube and seat tube. I milled down some 1in then made the slot for the pinch bolt.
photo

It required a LOT of milling!
photo

It came out ok I think. Head tube
photo

Progress so far
photo

Posted: Dec 3, 2018 at 12:25 Quote
Do you rebuild rear ends at your shop or do you just like to collect lockers and diffs? Haha

Posted: Dec 3, 2018 at 20:42 Quote
Beecee336 wrote:
Do you rebuild rear ends at your shop or do you just like to collect lockers and diffs? Haha

Haha, yes we specialize in gear changes front and rear so we have to have a lot of them on hand. Good eye

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.022039
Mobile Version of Website