inverted forks!

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
inverted forks!
Posted: Dec 17, 2013 at 12:53 Quote
We're already going back to FR bikes, just without the huck. Look at how the trail segment is essentially AM now. Everyone's getting bumped up in gnarliness.

Your insanely overweight and terrible geo version of FR will never return. It's awkward, unstable, and not agile. Nobody wants that. Long travel bikes will never be tall, short, and needlessly heavy again. Thank god.

O+
Posted: Dec 17, 2013 at 22:46 Quote
sherbet wrote:
No shit, it's also a joke. Hahah.

I think that was pretty clear just playing along...

O+
Posted: Dec 18, 2013 at 9:11 Quote
laynehip wrote:
I still believe that bicycles may start to take a turn back towards more freeride oriented huck bikes.
First off, I see little specs of urban freeride with long-travel bikes becoming more and more popular. This I think is due partly to the popularity of urban downhill races but with recent videos like the one with Lopes, Chase and the other guy and the Jaws one that came out not too long ago.

Secondly I think it is foolish to think that Long-Travel bikes will continue to get lower, slacker and tires will get skinnier and skinnier and frames will get weaker and weaker, etc. Certainly long-travel bikes won’t hit a plateau and stay there for the next 20 years. Bottom brackets can only get so low, and somewhere along the way someone will start going the other way and we may see bottom brackets get higher, head angles get steeper and tires get wider.
As everyone gets older, more and more people will start to come into the sport, that were not around for the urban freeride/huck bike scene. It won’t be seen as a dead sector of the scene that they lived through and saw die a horrible (and some say well deserved) death. It will be something new, fresh and interesting.

I would have to disagree. Bike bb heights will only increase if travel increases. The V10 doesn't have the same bb height as a demo because of the 50mm extra rear travel. Current slacker and lower geometry is better. Bikes are more stable and handle better. You'd just need small adjustments to make it urban specific i.e. running a HA >62º. As for tires getting wider I'm all for that but unfortunately tires are based on race models (DH tires that is) so they tend to be around 2.35. There are fewer and fewer 2.5 tires (and don't say maxxis 2.5 because they ARE NOT REALLY 2.5!!!)

A 2003, 55 pound Banshee Scream may seem ridiculous and low tech, but that is because it is! If you mention huck bikes, most people will complain about problems that most bikes suffered from 10-12 years ago. No company has came out with a huck bike utilizing 2013 bike technology and I think that is a real shame.
A 10” - 12” travel fork doesn’t need to be 13 pounds like the Super Monster T. A Kevlar, foldable 3.0” wide tire could be a ¼ of the weight of the Nokian Gazzas.

Here I agree with you. With current technology we could make a lighter 300mm fork and I imagine a Schwalbe supergravity 3.0 tire to weigh 1.3kg rather than 1.6-2kg. We just have to look at FAT bike tires and see that though they are heavy they are not heavy for their size eg 4.0 tire weighing 1.6kg

I think it is near sighted and foolish to think that long-travel bikes will always be low, slack, super light and focused around getting down the mountain with the shortest time on your stop watch.

O+
Posted: Jan 19, 2014 at 20:04 Quote
photo

the Avalanche MTN-8 fork. 43mm of f*ckin awesome wide stanctions. and with this hood mussel. couldnt be better. But if your lookin into inverted forks, check out Avalanche products...

O+
Posted: Jan 21, 2014 at 1:25 Quote
nofear259 wrote:
photo

the Avalanche MTN-8 fork. 43mm of f*ckin awesome wide stanctions. and with this hood mussel. couldnt be better. But if your lookin into inverted forks, check out Avalanche products...

That and the MTN-10 are my dream forks! I just can't afford them!

Posted: Feb 7, 2014 at 6:42 Quote
are marylin bombshell dual crown inverted forks any good

Posted: Oct 5, 2014 at 14:45 Quote
are the inverted DNM fork any good

O+
Posted: Oct 5, 2014 at 21:37 Quote
johnalves wrote:
are the inverted DNM fork any good
nope.

O+
Posted: Mar 2, 2016 at 5:18 Quote
Coming soon?
http://dirtmountainbike.com/longform/inside-ohlins-prototype-dh-fork

Posted: Apr 26, 2017 at 5:23 Quote
Just looked through online, and not including fat bike forks or inverted forks from the dawn of Mountain Biking, here's the list I've come up with (The Magura is not available as after market):

Inverted Forks List

Posted: Apr 26, 2017 at 7:49 Quote
The vast majority of those are from the dawn of biking and are not available.

Posted: Apr 26, 2017 at 8:36 Quote
sherbet wrote:

All the good ones in that list are extremely hard to find in good condition. Just the Dorado SC took me years to get hold of

Posted: Apr 26, 2017 at 9:24 Quote
Just found this Bergman Pro Alice for sale on Fleabay
Talk about rare!

photo

Posted: Apr 26, 2017 at 9:45 Quote
sherbet wrote:
not quite mate, the first 7 are current models and readily available...

Posted: Apr 26, 2017 at 9:48 Quote
Always wanted the dorado, had a pair of shivers once which were super plush, got stolen though...

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.013911
Mobile Version of Website